Stubborn Popeye

Guldklumpen

yes thats the food! Can you get it fast? It really is full blown dropsy so you will need it quick, so it doesn't totally kill the kidneys... :(

I recomend you do 2 50% or more w.c to take out the meds. Any meds at this point are a strain on his kidneys, whether or not they kill the bacteria.

As for the measurements of epson, measure half a coffee spoon or teaspoon. (the smallest spoon you have). Make sure it is level, not over the rim. Hold on let me weigh it. 1/2 a teaspoon is about 3 grams.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update:

Tvilsen's eyes are a little less swollen and she appears a little more active, trying to beg a little.

That is a good sign, right?

I feed her peas twice a day and change a little water everyday and put new epsom in the water, to match

the amount lost with the water change.

I have ordered Jungle AP fra the US, but it will prolly take som time before i get it.

Also i will get Furanol later this week, but i am not sure if i should use it.

Furanol info

Have you guys read this?

Dropsy treatment

What do you think about this part?:

A number of us have found that keeping the heat up to 84-86oF of for 2 weeks minimum, keeping oxygen levels high and feeding with antibiotic food like Romet B has brought most of them around. We don't know for how long.

Its around 30 degrees celcius.

I will keep you posted.

Thx for helping Tvilsen and me.

Guldklumpen

Edited by Guldklumpen

thats a really interesting article thanx for sharing! :)

How much oxygen do you have in the tank? can you see mini bubbled flying around it? If so you can even raise the temp to 28C. but I wouldn't go higher, it is like with ich, they recommend 30C but that is so high for fancy goldfish... :(

I think you are doing good with epson and heat. hopefully the medicated foods arrive fast... I also ordered mine from america - now I have my mom ship them to me, but I have everything in stock. hey I could send you a handful of Jungle AP if you want? I have a freshly opened box. I am not sure that it would be faster from Switzerland than USA???

keep feeding peas, and spinach and such. he is pooping okey right?

Furanol I would not use.

• Supporter

oh, she is beautiful.. :heart i can't offer you any medical help as i am not experienced enough, but i wish you and your Tvilsen the very best.. good luck and i hope to read some positive results soon..

There is plenty of airbubbles from an air curtain in the middle of the tub.

She is only fed peas for now, but i can not se her poop due to the dark tub and i cant see her butt from

above :rolleyes: , however she is very interested in her peas.

Here is an interesting article about goldfish water temp. and more:

Goldfish Myths

If you could send a few Jungle AP pellets in a letter, then that would be awesome.

Can i repay you somehow??

I have posted my address on your profile under comments.

Thanks for the kind words stakos, she really is my little darling. :)

Guldklumpen

Edited by Guldklumpen

I will get a letter in the mail tomorrow morning. hopefully it is fast. :) no don't worry about it, i have a huge box which I HOPEFULLY won't need.

just make sure she isn't constipated, which she shouldn't with the Epson.

I dont think she is, she has been before and then she did not eat.

Thanks alot, if im unlucky then the Jungle AP from US will be delayed in costums.

With your letter she has twice the chance of getting meds soon.

Thanks again!

Update:

Tvilsen looks the same as yesterday, still pineconed but eyes are allmost normal.

She is active and interested in me and her peas.

I feed her a couple of peas 2-3 times a day, how long can she settle for peas?

She is a big girl, about 25 cm from mouth to caudal fin.

Its hard/impossible to keep ammonia at 0. in the tub, her filter is not cycled.

I have ordered a Eheim 2080 pump for the 250 liter tank, it should be here this week.

If so, i will tear down the background from the tank and clean everything.

The healthy fish will however have to endure cycling of the new pump in the 250 liter tank.

I will use filter "goo" from behind the background on the new pump and make a filterpad

for Tvilsens internal filterpump, maybe that will speed up cycling.

The filtermaterial from behind the background is cycled, and there is about 20-30 liters of it.

The fish will benefit from the change with more liters to swim in :)

Guldklumpen.

The meds are in the mail-the post office told me it usually takes 2-3 days. So I HOPE you get them by this weekend!

It is really important that you keep the ammonia down..... Don't add any gunk. Can you do 2 large water changes daily? The temp is good and stable right? If she poops you can give her some defrozen krill or somthing, so she gets some protein. Also, trinket mentioned to me that boiled rice is also good for weak fish. Try it! :)

Thanks alot Federica :)

When i get it, how much do i feed her? and for how long?

I change 60% water once a day, but will do a 90/100% WC tomorrow.

The ammo is 0.25 or below.

I have no krill, but i have several high quality flaked foods and pro gold pellets from canada.

I can just feed her a little amount?

She poops fine.

The water temp. is stable at 28 celcius.

I use same temp. water at WC.

The Jungle u have to soak it in warm water and mush it a bit (it gets fish very floaty otherwise)... And u can feed her like an eyeball size 2x a day. (I feed like 5-6 2x a day to mine, but he is tiny compared to urs). I do the 3days a week for 4 weeks. But I think in your case you should do 2x a day for 14 days.

I wouldn't feed her flakes. Maybe the pellets, soaked. But the issue is that the dropsy is slowly ruining her organs, especially the kidneys. So it is best to stay with nourishing but 'light' food.

Okey yea keep up the water changes. When Dr.House gets sick I do 2x 60-80percent daily. I think sick fish pollute way more

Thx for the tips. :)

Did Dr. House make it? (love the tv show btw.)

Can you tell me, what makes eating medicine safer for fish, than adding it to the water?

In humans everything you eat/drink still have to pass the kidneys.

Yea Dr.House is alive and kicking :D she just got dropsy for the 3rd time but now it just seems to come as she has weak kidneys :(

She never 'acts' sick tho. She just needs a little more care such as higher temps and cleaner water.

Basically, I think dropsy mostly comes (in our cases) from internal infections or internal parasites. So water meds are pointless as they don't enter the fish. Is would be like putting cream to treat a stomach ache :))

Ooh, im sorry to hear that Dr. House i sick again.

Many of the dropsy surviving fish i read about gets several relapses :(

Its like they never recover fully.

Best wishes to Dr. House from me.

Thanx :) she is fine again now! I always watch out for it now. She was only full blown pineconed the first time, which is also the only time I had to use the medicated food. After that the relapses I caught VERY early. It is usually fixed in like a week of epson and warm waters :) I think that they are just more sensitive, and just get the 'dropsy look' everytime something is a bit off.

:thanks

Well Dr.House was in with my ryukin and oranda until 3-4 months ago when she got the 2nd dropsy - now she has been in her own 20gallon (she has also grown a lot as she gets to eat way more :)) Then in a few weeks/a month she will move into a 40gallon with my new Celestial, Steve Urkel. I think they will be good together - they are about the same size and both half blind :P (I wold move her out each time, but the tank is usually not cycled - that is why I do the 2x daily 80% water changes + filter cleaning. Everything just stays really clean.

How long has she been dropsied for now? No improvement? Oh dear I HOPE it hasn't been going for too long already to have done much damage :unsure:

She have been pineconed for 7-8 days now :(

Her popeye started earlier, i cured the first round 14 days ago.

I am also worried that time is a factor.

Today i get the Furanol. It contains Nifurpirinol and that is supposedly very effective and

absorbed through the skin.

The danish Malawi experts reccommend it for dropsy.

I know you say i should not use it, but how long can she go without meds do you think?

Nifurpirinol info

Guldklumpen