Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mike and Linda

I Think Brown Algae

Guest Mike and Linda

I noticed that I have little bit of brown stuff on my rocks and on the heater and on the bottom of my tank.

Yup it's most likely brown algae, has your tank recently cycled? The ways I get rid of it is with a paper towel, it picks it right up.

Brown algae SUCKS. As Tay said, it's more common in recently-cycled tanks. The only solution is to clean it up.

Guest Mike and Linda

Yup it's most likely brown algae, has your tank recently cycled? The ways I get rid of it is with a paper towel, it picks it right up.

My tank has been cycled properly since March 22 2010

I had a ton of this inside of my tank. Before a water change I would turn off my power filters and scrape the sides of the tanks and let it settle to the bottom. Then I would suck the stuff off of the bottom while siphoning during the water change.

I have some rocks and ornaments in the tank that had a fair amount of brown stuff on them as well but between water changes, time and my 2 albino bristlenose plecos the algae is in serious decline. No more of it on the walls of the tank or the rocks.

And finally I have some green algae growing on the outflows of the filters :D

With some patience and a little work(a pleco or 2 couldn't hurt) the problem will

lessen or go away in time.

My tank has been cycled properly since March 22 2010

That's really not very long in the big scheme of a tank's ecosystem, so to speak. I'm having a yucky brown algae problem in a tank that I cycled in May. I personally don't consider a tank "set" till I've had it up and running and cycled for 9 months to a year. But that's just me.

Yeah, I think your tank is still establishing itself, and sooner or later it'll all disappear, and togo you are very lucky. :unsure: I have brown algae growing in the outflows. I HATE IT.

i get it on and off, in my goldfish tank. Guppy tank I dont have it anymore just think green stuff :lol

and togo you are very lucky. :unsure: I have brown algae growing in the outflows. I HATE IT.

I guess I am lucky considering this particular tank was put into service

just this April.

:blink: What is your trick? :lol

I find even with the uv sterilizer, the brown comes back, but at a very slow rate.. I only have it grow back on the leaves of my plants now, but I just brush it off with every wc and there's no problem.. :)

Guest Mike and Linda

I seem to be getting alot of brown algae now and I wanted to know since I am bare bottom if I clean it all up will it cause me to mini cycle again?

I get it in my 50 gal tank ever week, i just wipe it down as im doing a water change, it never causes a cycle bump at all. :)

Guest Mike and Linda

Would to much light cause that I have 80 watts on my 40 gal. I will wipe it clean at water change time.

Whats the levels of your Nitrates, to high of those can cause brown algae and phosphate levels can cause it too...

How old is your lights, normally compact lights should be changed once every 6 months, other lights you can tell if they need to be replaced is when you see black starting to move from the ends to the middle of the bulb :)

Guest Mike and Linda

My nitrates are around 10 and I am not sure of the phosphate level I will buy a test kit for that. My lights are not old. I use the daytime energy saver bulbs.

If you have another set of lights you could do a test and put them on for a month and see if the brown algae goes down :)