Tank Decor

For goldfish, less is definitely more -- they need as much swimming space as we can give them. That said, I personally don't like completely sterile tanks with no visual interest (boring for me, and probably boring for the goldfish as well). I try to strike the right balance between having some decor and maintaining a great big amount of swimming area.

I am beginning to see the wisdom in keeping less or no gravel. I also pulled out some of my plants to give more swimming room. Not as pretty but goldies deserve the best. I am too afraid to consider merely decorative stone or driftwood- somebody might get hurt or stuck. Not to mention I have very hard water so I'm concerned with ph stability so driftwood is right out, darn it. So far I've not had any problems.[Knock wood...]

Barebottom is the way to go!

I have a couple of plants suctioned cupped in place and a small scattering of rocks.

The real show in my tank is the background. A creative background and minimalist decor seems to be what I find works for goldies.

I love the look of some of the bare tanks I see here, but personally I can't bring myself to do it in my tanks. My goldies love to rummage around the gravel and they spend hours grazing on the algae that covers the decorations. I know the simple tanks are easier to maintain, but I'm willing to do more cleaning in order to enjoy seeing them having fun. :)

I personally don't really like the barebottom, looks to boring to me. I have gravel, live plants and driftwood in mine. My goldies seem to really love swiming through the live plants.

I guess my tanks would be considered to be "full". I like having lots of plants. I put tall plants in the back, and lots of little short grasses and whatnot in the front to give lots of swim space. But it gives the tank an illusion of being "full".

Bare bottom but I like to re arrange plants for their mental stimulation.

I will have fewer plants as the fish get bigger

Edited by Texana