My New Half Raised Limestone Pond

Lionchu

Finally construction is underway. This will be my second pond and since I've been asked before as to how I did the first one, I would like to take this opportunity to share my method of doing it.doh11.gif

Job started on 31/07/10. Selected site cleared of scrubs/tree roots etc... and ground dugged out bigger than actual pond size. Surface compacted down with brickie sand/ road gravel, ( sprinkled with cement and wetted) and also leveled. Drainage hole was also put in at the LH corner.

One course of brick was laid inorder to raised the height of the limestone blocks to give the required water depth of the pond. Allowed about 24 hrs for the cement to dry.

DSCF6353.jpg

Next started laying the limestone blocks.

DSCF6390.jpg

DSCF6389.jpg

to be con't.....faint.gif

Edited by lionchu

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally construction is underway. This will be my second pond and since I've been asked before as to how I did the first one, I would like to take this opportunity to share my method of doing it.doh11.gif

Job started on 31/07/10. Selected site cleared of scrubs/tree roots etc... and ground dugged out bigger than actual pond size. Surface compacted down with brickie sand/ road gravel, ( sprinkled with cement and wetted) and also leveled. Drainage hole was also put in at the LH corner.

One course of brick was laid inorder to raised the height of the limestone blocks to give the required water depth of the pond. Allowed about 24 hrs for the cement to dry.

DSCF6353.jpg

Next started laying the limestone blocks.

DSCF6390.jpg

DSCF6389.jpg

to be con't.....faint.gif

Completed all four sides and also rendered first coat of cement on the bottom of the pond. All the heavy lifting is done now.29.gif

DSCF6391.jpg

Please keep watching this post because the next picture will be a big transformation. I managed to finish off quite a bit yesterday and today the weather is pretty good too. Looks like I'll be able to accomplish some rendering work on the inside too.happydance3.gif

All internal walls have been rendered with a creame colored cement, and also the capping edges and mortar color have been touched up.

IMG_0018Newpond0.jpg

Ta...Daaah, 55.gif finally my pond is finished. I managed to finish rendering the base today. Now the only thing left is to wait for all the cement to cure before I can seal the internal walls and the bottom with a pond sealer. This can take up to 4 weeks for it to be moisture free (have to do a moisture test first before start sealing it) and it will remain covered at all times. Now for some rest....49.gif

IMG_0044NewPond.jpg

To be continued......

Oh man, that sure looks good! Very Impressive! Now comes time for a cold one, eh? Congrats.gif

Thanks, already did that many times, while working on it.rofl3.gif

OMG.. it's looking so good.. how many gallons is it? will be passing through WA in a few months.. might stop by to steal a few fish and lilly plants wink.gif LOL

It's about 600L (13 to 14.5 inch sloped bottom). You are welcome to visit but stealing my fish and plants? I don't think so. First you have to get pass my fish addict.

29.gif

It looks so nice! I wish I could have a pond like that!

You can get someone to help you to build one if you think it's too hard. It's actually quite easy as I learned most tips from You Tube and also from experience gained building my first pond.biggrin.gif

Wow, your pond looks great!

I'd love to see what you will be doing for filtration as well. I see you have a bottom drain. I'm only on my first pond, and I kind of regret not putting a drain in, but mine is only a dug out liner pond. I'm pretty sure I would have to get planning permission here to do one like yours.

Wow, your pond looks great!

I'd love to see what you will be doing for filtration as well. I see you have a bottom drain. I'm only on my first pond, and I kind of regret not putting a drain in, but mine is only a dug out liner pond. I'm pretty sure I would have to get planning permission here to do one like yours.

thankyousign.gif I'm working on that right now. I'll be using a fountain pump but it's usage will be slightly different from a typical pond.

I am bookmarking this thread! As soon as I get my own house I want to do a pond a LOT like this one. Only I'm thinking round, with two levels, and tiled to finish it off!!

In a few years I am going to be PMing you like mad to get tips!

It looks GREAT!!!

I am bookmarking this thread! As soon as I get my own house I want to do a pond a LOT like this one. Only I'm thinking round, with two levels, and tiled to finish it off!!

In a few years I am going to be PMing you like mad to get tips!

It looks GREAT!!!

Thanks, I hope one day you can fullfill your dreams. My advise is to do lots of research first, ie. shape, capacity, type of pond, whether to use liner, prefab, rubbermaid, raised or sunken, the type of gf you are going to keep and how many? locaction and so on, the list is endless.smile.gif

Edited by lionchu

It's exquisite! :heart

I would love to have a similar one one day. I love the idea you can sit on the side and watch the fish. :)

What are the outside temp requirements for such a pond? I would love to put my ryukins outside. But I live in Switzerland... must I say more :)