Sign in to follow this  
Angel1020

Filter Help!

I had to put this post in the 911 section because I'm desperate. My stupid pain in the a$$ Magnum Canister filter is not working. I HATE THIS FILTER! The problem is I desperately needs it's filtration! I only have my dual biowheel 400 going on the main tank right now because I borrowed my smaller biowheel 200 for the QT. Without the canister 350gph on the main tank I'm only at 400gph!!!!!!

I have to order a new filter right now. Any suggestions? DO I need a canister or can I just order another dual biowheel 400. That will give me 800gph on the tank even without my little biowheel 200.

You don't need a canister. Many people run their tanks with only HOB and in fact, I have an Aquaclear and love it. When my canister goes to heaven I will probably replace it with another one of those. Get some that gives you enough turnover, has plenty of room for media, and is easy for you to maintain.

I don't run a canister filter either.

I run three HOBS though. A Penguin Bio Wheel 100, a Tetra Whisper EX20 and a Tetra Whisper EX70.

The penguin is stubborn as heck and doesn't always want to start nicely or give good flow. It IS a couple of years old though, so that could be the problem. I can't stuff it with media though, because altering the way the water flows in the box can sometimes change the way it exits the filter and wont spin the biowheel. Which I guess it doesn't have to do to work, but I WANT it too. Haha.

The whisper filters are great. If a little noisy. The impeller is submerged and unlike the biowheel filter, they start sucking very quickly. No jiggling intake tubes or fiddling with impellers. That said, since the motor is under water, if you do have a problem, it can be a pain in the butt to fix! Not so much room for media, if you use the little plastic filter pad holders, but they do have this nifty plastic flossy media card. Still, not much room for custom media without some fiddling.

I have yet to get my hands on an aquaclear or anything, though. :undecided:

Thank you!

I found another emperor 400 dual bio-wheel on sale at Drs. Foster and Smith so I'm ordering that now. It is exactly the same as the other one I have on my tank now. ANd there is TONS of room for filter media and it's 100x better dealing with that than the stupid canister.

For now though I had to give up the QT tank because I needed my other smaller bio-wheel back. UGH! So for the next few days I am only going to have 600gph filtration on my 75gal tank. So, I guess I will be doing daily water changes, water tests and will keep my ammonia chips in the one filter for now to keep ammonia down. Hopefully that will be sufficient for the next couple days.

I'm just dousing my whole 75gal with .3% salt and prazi pro and I hope my two new fish will be ok! What a pain!!!

Be careful with ammo chips and salt. You don't want those in your tank with salt. The Salt will re-release the ammonia back into the water. :o

I hope your new filter comes in soon :D

Be careful with ammo chips and salt. You don't want those in your tank with salt. The Salt will re-release the ammonia back into the water. :o

I hope your new filter comes in soon :D

Thank you Tay! I'll take them out now.

One more question: Would this filter be ok for my tank? https://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3579+3597&pcatid=3597

It says for tanks up to 55gal. My tank is 75gal but this would not be the ONLY filter. It's 250gph and add that to my 400 and 200 gph and we are at 850gph.

I think that would be fine :D Does it have lots of room for filter media? If not I would suggest a HOB Aquaclear filter. They are very customizeable with their filter media.

Sorry for the stupid question. What does HOB filter means? HOB = Hang On Back?

Yep and Yep :lol

I am getting more and more addicted to fish keeping... Did some search on the Aquaclear HOB filter images and it looks like it can be set up to ones own preference in the filter media compartment... :) :)

I am getting more and more addicted to fish keeping... Did some search on the Aquaclear HOB filter images and it looks like it can be set up to ones own preference in the filter media compartment... :) :)

:exactly We recommend them because of their good turnover and how well you can customize the filter media compartment it's a great place for the beneficial bacteria to colonize.

Should I get one now and run it on my small tank to start the bb colinization also? So that when have a new tank, I can just move it over and have a faster tank cycling?

Yes exactly, they are fabulous :D

Well I just ordered it. I can't wait to get it! I hope it gets here fast... my tank needs that filter! 600gph is not going to cut it.

Jeffery, I saw your name and thought, oh, wow, there is a guy that works for the company my husband works for who lives in Singapore and his name is Tony Teo. Then I saw YOU were in Singapore too! lol! Is Teo a common last name?

Teo is also the nickname of my son, Mateo:)

You'll love the Aquaclear to bits. :)

Angel, Teo is actually my family name where all in the family will follows the father's and the father's father and all the way to our ancestors.

Teo is not very common but not rare in a chinese community.

Hope your filter GPH problem will be solved soon... :)

Angel, Teo is actually my family name where all in the family will follows the father's and the father's father and all the way to our ancestors.

Teo is not very common but not rare in a chinese community.

Hope your filter GPH problem will be solved soon... :)

Could it be you have a relative named Tony then, who works for Globalview Software?? LOL!

Nope :)

When are you expecting to receive the new filter?

Nope :)

When are you expecting to receive the new filter?

I hope it gets here by Friday. I really need it and can't wait to get it installed!!!!

All the best. Post some photos of your set up once you have the new filter installed.

You will really like the Aquaclear filter!!! I have 3 AQ110s....I use two on my big tank & one on the 29! They are powerful, hardworking & easy to maintain! What more could you ask!!?

You'll like your AquaClear, Angel. I have five of them and they are awesome. It's the only filter that I will use.

-Dennis

Dennis I think Aquaclear should PAY US!!!!!

lol Jeana, you are absolutely right! I could use a few extra bucks to support my obsession...er hobby. :)

-Dennis