Sign in to follow this  
Angel1020

New Fish From A Great Lfs

So, hubs and I drove up to our favorite LFS yesterday. It's about 45 minutes north of us. But we really got a great feeling from the place and trust it. They also happen to have the best goldfish selection in the entire area that we have seen.

My favorite part of the trip, besides picking out two new babies (more on that to come) was that in talking to Rich (one of the guys who works there) he said to little old me, "it's an HONOR talking to someone like you".

How about that! I was telling him how I am putting the new fish in QT for 2 weeks and treating with salt and prazi and how I fast my other fish once a week and feed peas the next day and how I never feed them flakes, only the good stuff, etc. And he validated EVERYTHING!!!!! He never questioned any of my methods (learned mainly from KoKo's) or gave me a funny look.

Rich has my full trust from now on :bingo:

Now, as for my two new fish, I got an AMAZING calico telescope (dragon eye by some) with a gorgeous and perfect butterfly tail! His name (courtesy of my youngest son) is Rocket. Once he's out of QT I will get a picture. One eye is noticeably smaller than the other but I think it's just a genetic defect and nothing to worry about, right? He's about 2 inches long... not big at all.

The other fish is another small orange oranda also about 2 inches long. She has the potential to grow into a gorgeous girl like Millie was. Her name is Lucy. Again, once she is out of QT I will get pics.

Sidenote: Batman suddenly died the other day. So I'm down to Ironman, Mac and Wingo. I still can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. My water quality is always fine. So there is something else in the water that is happening..... ugh. I'm NEVER saying I have happy healthy fish again because the minute I do a fish of mine dies. UGH!

Anyway, I hope this prazi stuff works for the QT!!!

I'm so sorry about Batman! Amd that's great news about this new lfs and Rich too! He sounds like a great and very knowledgeable guy. I can't wait to see your new fishy babies.

Yes the eye is probably a genetic defect.

As for your other fish dying they were probably already sick to begin with and probably were infected with bacteria or internal parasites. Your tap pH and tank pH have always been matched right?

I'm so sorry about Batman! Amd that's great news about this new lfs and Rich too! He sounds like a great and very knowledgeable guy. I can't wait to see your new fishy babies.

Yes the eye is probably a genetic defect.

As for your other fish dying they were probably already sick to begin with and probably were infected with bacteria or internal parasites. Your tap pH and tank pH have always been matched right?

That is what I was thinking Tay... they were already sick and just had delayed reactions.

And yes, the tap and tank pH match.

Rich did tell me something interesting that I want to run by Koko's.. I told him how my API drops produce a higher pH in my tank at 8.0 and it was never that high before. He told me Prime will give false pH readings like that and my pH is probably lower at 7.4 - They tested my water yesterday and it was 7.4.

Sound legit?

I have heard about prime doing that, i use Amquel plus so i dont know 100% but i have heard people saying that :o

I'm sorry about Batman, but excited to see your new fish!

I swear you guys, I'm freaking CURSED!!!! Go read my 911 post. My freaking canister filter took a crap on me. Caused all sorts of issues! I have had to cancel my QT because I needed my filter back on the main tank.

So now I'm just dousing the 75gal main tank with prazi and salt for everyone. UGH! I hope this works. I'm tired of problems :undecided:

So now would be a bad time to ask for pictures of the newbies? LOL

Sorry to hear about batman and now the filter mishap. I would keep dosing the prazi and salt, and do water changes as soon as treatments are done.

Best of luck and fingers crossed!

So now would be a bad time to ask for pictures of the newbies? LOL

Sorry to hear about batman and now the filter mishap. I would keep dosing the prazi and salt, and do water changes as soon as treatments are done.

Best of luck and fingers crossed!

LOL J-pond :)

I can get some pics up soon, I hope. The tank is doing well so far, but it's only been about 20 hours since the filter crashed and I had to move the new fish into the main tank with the others. The new calico telescope is AMAZING!! I marvel at him every time he swims by. ANd he is so friendly. He comes right to the surface and I can practically pet him! He's easy to catch too:) What a love!

That is excellent news! There's nothing better than a healthy AND friendly fish. :D I'm super glad everything's going well for you.