Sign in to follow this  
amynmitchell

Howl Has A Frayed Tail And Very Red Streaks In Tail

Nope. He hasn't always done that. It is fairly new and started right around the time of the tail bleeding. And I noticed he looked fairly fat., so I did a two day fast and a few days of peas. Not any less fat. Though some of it is that chubby ryukin shape.

Interesting. Maybe Ponyo is just chock full of hormones...that would actually be lovely news.

When I do my water change should I drop the temp by a few degrees going in and see if that does anything to release potential eggs?

Hmm. I actually have no idea. I guess I will just see if it is eggs, if nature takes its course. So far Howl is swimming and eating like a spitfire and looking much better. He doesn't seem to realize that he is supposed to be the bully of the goldfish world.

He is just showing off because little Ponyo is gone! Typical dude!

I checked a bit for the eggs, technically you have to keep the fish in cooler water for a few weeks, then raise it to make them release the eggs. :)

Oh, interesting. So far I have never had an egg experience, so we will see if that happens. I am thinking about what kind of tall plants I can add to hide equipement and keep Ponyo busy.

I'm planning to try and add Ponyo back in the main tank on Sunday. I am just hoping for the best. I would like to keep her seperated a bit longer as Howl is much better but still lightly frayed around the edges of his tail, but I start my travel season soon and need plenty of time to see how things are going and figure out what I am going to do if they aren't working out.

Any ideas on how to change the tank to give Howl a good hiding place (a glass vase) and how to keep the tank rearranged in a way that makes her less interested in tail nipping?

I'm planning to try and add Ponyo back in the main tank on Sunday. I am just hoping for the best. I would like to keep her seperated a bit longer as Howl is much better but still lightly frayed around the edges of his tail, but I start my travel season soon and need plenty of time to see how things are going and figure out what I am going to do if they aren't working out.

Any ideas on how to change the tank to give Howl a good hiding place (a glass vase) and how to keep the tank rearranged in a way that makes her less interested in tail nipping?

You should get yummy plants :) or floating ones if Ponyo is a nut :) Maybe she would like chasing them in the current hehe

She is a busy little nut. Hopefully, she can settle down and fit back in with the gang. My plan is to try and make the tank like disneyland for her to keep her occupied.

I am still a bit worried about Howl. The reddness in his tail is gone for the most part (a red vein is still there, but he is a white fish so I'm not worried about that). But his tail is still rough around the edges. And I've noticed some white stringy poop...which I was nice enough to take a picture of.

newfish086.jpg

newfish084.jpg

newfish090.jpg

that is a bit like my Chunky Monkey was before he got in the 'street fight.' Maybe Howl is more of a nervous fish too? Any other possible stressors in the tank?

current? too much light?

I do think he is more prone to showing stress. Walley is, too. The current is pretty settled with the spray bar and because my light is a bit too short I have a dark corner. I have pulled out a lot of decor though so there are less hiding places. I'm going to fix that up before I put Ponyo back in.

My feeling is to do nothing Amy. The fact that you have seen some improvement plus that he is behaving well would make me want to give him some more time to sort himself out.

His immunity is recovering and meds now would knock that out again. The stringy poop (thin, grey and knotted right?) will pass once he gets a little more strength back, as will the fins.

Fingers crossed of course, never know what curveballs lie ahead. The white fish show all+ easily stressed theory sounds right to me for now.

Oh, how he loves to toy with me! He has a deep bloody streak again right by the bigger tail split (this is always the side that seems to get bloody). There is very little if anything for him to catch himself on in the main tank now. And Ponyo isn't in there...it is starting to look like my girl has been unfairly accused (that would be the only good news out of this).

He still acts fine, still looking for food. Still active. I'm going to add another Melafix dose. Nothing new is going on that I can tell. I just tested the water yesterday and the only think slightly unusual was my nitrates were at 20ppm (rather than 15ppm). I'll test again in a bit to check again. So he may be sensitive to that. His poop was still a bit stringy, but food colored.

I'm honestly at a bit of a loss. My plan is to get some new plants, rearrange the main tank and add Ponyo back. Then try twice weekly 50% water changes. I can add .01% salt back if that would be helpful.

Anyway here are his pics. It is definately more blood filled in person.

newfish078.jpg

newfish070.jpg

I can see it Amy. I was just wondering what he is being fed these days- something new?....and what happened immediately prior to the red appearing? For example- a water change, a feed, or..?

Offers more clues...so sorry this is happening :(

Nope...nothing different. I re-started the gel food last week. I did offer zuchini for the first time actually. Other than that, no changes. My water change was Sunday. My nitrates were 20ppm...usually they are at 15. No changes in the tank at all though. It happened overnight which is when all of the red has appeared. Pretty weird. Could it be Septicemia? It seems like he would be acting off if it was?

amy, the nitrates at 20 and just over put red streaks into sir loyn's tail, fine streaks that ended with smeared blotches of blood..

the only way to get rid of the nitrates is to do back to back water changes of 50-70% each wc.. ever since then, sir loyn has been sensetive to nitrates even getting close to 20ppm..

perhaps you would like to try this before adding the meds?

just a thought on my own experiences..

good luck,

helen

I think it is a good idea. My tap nitratres come out at 15ppm, so it is hard to keep them lower than 15ppm. But twice weekly water changes should help. And I bought more plants today. The red streak was gone this morning after a dose of Melafix.

Howl had one small red streak tonight. After a midnight snack of seaweed some bloody streaks starting appearing. I may have found his allergy. Seaweed in small amounts is in my gel food and I'm sure he isn't always going to get the same amount in that. I'll have to see what he looks like in the morning. His tail fin still looks pretty battered, no better, no worse. But he has nice green poop thanks to the new plants and I have never seen a fish with that huge of an appetite (I can't put anything in the tank without him sucking on it...including my hand) and that is that active. He literally zips around the tank with Ponyo close behind him.

Dang...should have mentioned that. I was going to but got distracted... Moo use to get red streaks appear immediately after eating bloodworms. Had to stop feeding them. It can be that sudden.

I wouldn't think it would be so huge a reaction but it is possible that some of the red was caused by allergies..

He looks awful this morning. His tail is full of blood and just looks super scraggly. Poor guy. He still acts the same, still is very busy and still has bright green poops (mostly due to my very shredded moss ball).

I am guessing I should try stopping the gel food, no more seaweed for a week and see if I can get him healed up. I have tried a week of Melafix with minor success, so I might try Pimafix since it is fairly mild. Then if he seems to be fine I will have to make another batch of gel food.

I am so busy that I haven't taken another picture, but it is as bad as it was the first time I posted.:doh11:

do you already have salt in? I totally prefer salt to the melafix/primafix things.

I actually didn't do anything. I wanted to give it a day to see how it did after the seaweed was gone. The change is incredible...no red at all! I can't say for sure this is it, but it sure seems likely. So far salt and Melafix haven't healed up the torn edges of the fins. So I think I will try Pimafix with twice weekly water changes. If that doensn't work back to salt (I'm a bit hesitant to use it with my new plants...but the fish come first).

The morning after scarfing a huge sheet of seaweed:

newfish103.jpg

newfish098.jpg

newfish100.jpg

This is two days later once the seaweed has gotten out of the system:

newfish108.jpg

Very young white fish have that pink see through thing going. Howl reminds me of when my Princess was small she had a lot of pink appear rather often, almost like the blood vessels were nearer the surface until she put some weight on or something, quite strange but also similar to this. In fact when we bought her and chose her she actually looked pink, a sort of pink undercoat all over -or under lol- her white. I think a portion of this - is that Howl is so white, fins and body and these fish really do get more pink/red issues. Lets hope it was the seaweed, sensitive little thing :heart