Sign in to follow this  
amynmitchell

Howl Has A Frayed Tail And Very Red Streaks In Tail

wow you have awesome gel food :whatjust:

I would choose MediGold over Metro just because they say it is good for shipping stress and secondary infections from it - which seems like that could be a problem? As for the red streaks, Einstein only gets those if he is somehow stressed or the water is a bit off. Your water is fine tho right? So maybe it is a little infection going on? Have you ever seen him without the red streaks? When she was over at your friend's?

Oh gosh,Amy,I am just seeing that this thread has been reactivated :undecided: I think I would go w/ the Melafix too,for now. The Co that makes that actually suggests that you use it in conjunction w/ Pimafix,which as I recall is for any fungal(primary and secondary)issues. I have done the 2 together and had some good results. I really like the 2-I bought a HUGE bottle of Melafix :exactly

Yesterday, I pulled out my plastic bamboo plants because I thought maybe that was the cause. I added a peice of driftwood that I have had in the tank before and that was sterilized, but today things are much much much worse.

I did a 75% water change last night, and this morning ammonia and nitrite 0ppm, nitrate 15ppm, PH 8...so nothing off with the water. But Howl's tail is full of blood...it looks awful. I am at a complete loss.

I went ahead and added a dose of Melafix.

This poor fish has been through the wringer meds-wise (Formalin dip, salt for a month, prazi, a round of AP and AB food) and I really hate to use anything strong unless I have to. BUt his tail is in complete tatters.

He still swims about fine and is looking for food. He was pooping up a storm yesterday (as long as his body, but all food colored) so I didn't feed him yesterday and planned to do a few days of peas for consitpation.

I really don't know what my next step should be.

newfish044.jpg

newfish045-1.jpg

newfish047-1.jpg

newfish048.jpg

newfish049.jpg

OMG Amy he looks so sad :(

how about putting him in a totally empty hospital tank??? maybe he is sensitive to something in the tank? just some salt in the hospital tank? I am not sure if MediGold could be a good idea to protect him.

Gosh,I'm sorry,Amy :undecided: The only thought I have,after trying to study your pics,is that I would try removing the sand/gravel from the bottom. I would try to create as much of a qt atmosphere as possible-just to rid the symptoms,as opposed to wondering why :whatjust: Just pure,cycled water-no decs or substrates,then you can try adding them back in if you want. I barely keep anything in my tanks anymore-it just seems that when I do,somebody,if not everybody starts to act different-and I end up taking it out-EVEN IF in my mind it seems COMPLETELY innocuous :exactly Sorry,that's all I could come up with :blink:

I'm an advocate of MelaFix/PimaFix too! :D

Oh no Amy, he doesn't look so good :( I wish I had some ideas but it seems like you have tried everything. I can't believe there would still be something going on since this fish has been through so many treatments. I like Susan's suggestion to remove a lot of the decor from the tank. Try PMing Imo if you haven't already.

I think the idea of removing things is probably a good idea. But I have a very very very new cycle, only a few weeks olds. And it all came from that gravel from my friend Lynda's established tank that was in QT with them. So I am hesitant to have the tank crash and make things worse. All of the other decor is live plants, so though I could pull it, it shouldn't cause him problems and it would mean killing my plants. Which I would like to avoid...of course, if it is the plants or him I will take him.

So I am really torn on what to do. I could QT him and if this keeps up after the Melafix I will do that, but I want to see if I can work out what is bothering him in the main tank since that is where he is going to be. He is top hanging in the corner quite a bit now, which is abnormal for him, but then he swims around the tank and seems perfectly fine. He is eating like an enormous pig.

I am wondering if my gel food could be the problem? I was trying to save my about to expire Saki-Hikari. So this batch has a ton of that, greens, two TBS plain yogurt, multi-vitamin, peas, carrots, seaweed, red pepper, paprika and a can of unsalted pure tuna. Could it be bad? It is a few weeks old only and I defrost three days worth at a time.

Could he be eating too much? I break up a chunk about the size of postage stamp (maybe a bit smaller) for the three of them, but they do seem to be putting on weight and Howl does cram as much in his mouth as possible. I notice the tank is pretty gunky right after a feeding.

Thanks for the ideas everyone...all good thoughts. It is going to drive me crazy that I can't figure out what is causing this. His tail looks like it has been munched on (very much like Tinman's tail when Ursula was eating it), but I haven't seen Ponyo or Walley messing with him at all.

So Melafix and Pimafix should be run together? Darn it...that means more money and another trip to the store.

just relating to the gel food - I read somewhere that you shouldn't use processed food such as Hikari in it if you are going to freeze it. the fatty acids in it somehow turn it rancid faster. maybe try just fresh boiled vegs for a few days and see if that helps? maybe some defrosted krill to boost energy?

just relating to the gel food - I read somewhere that you shouldn't use processed food such as Hikari in it if you are going to freeze it. the fatty acids in it somehow turn it rancid faster. maybe try just fresh boiled vegs for a few days and see if that helps? maybe some defrosted krill to boost energy?

Good point. That is written in "Fancy Goldfish". Did you freeze the gel food with saki-hikari in it Amy?

I will be so sad if my batch of gel food is bad...but I did freeze it because it made enough for an army. I did this with my last batch of gel food that had pro-gold in it as well. Do you think that it is unusable?

Well, I will try a few pea only days and then some frozen foods and see if that changes anything along with the Melafix.

Yeah Amy, the fancy goldfish book says that commercial foods cannot be frozen because the fatty acids do go rancid. I'd say don't use it :(

I've been doing some reading and I think that is if you freeze a bag of food and then store it room temp...partly because ice crystals get in the food and destroy it. But if you feed gel food, you have already changed the properties of the commercial food by cooking it with the hot gelatine mix and you defrost it in the fridge and feed it directly from there.

Otherwise, I'm not sure how you could ever put commercial food in gel food (it at least has to be stored in the fridge). But I don't have the answer...I am just sort of thinking out loud here. Well, one way to tell is to see if he looks better after a few days off the gel food. He looks so horrible right now.

I just wanted to stop by and offer some moral support Amy. :heart I hope your little guy soon gets better for you.

I also wanted to say that I've used melafix and pimafix together when I wasn't sure exactly what was wrong and it has always worked for me. It might be worth a try.

Sending good vibes your way. :hug

good luck Amy, I hope things work out well.. big hugs from australia!

Good point. That is written in "Fancy Goldfish". Did you freeze the gel food with saki-hikari in it Amy?

I've been doing some reading and I think that is if you freeze a bag of food and then store it room temp...partly because ice crystals get in the food and destroy it. But if you feed gel food, you have already changed the properties of the commercial food by cooking it with the hot gelatine mix and you defrost it in the fridge and feed it directly from there.

I think Amy may be right here, the problem comes with freezing the commercial foods themselves. I've been making gel food with Hikari pellets for a few years now and have never had an issue. I mix the pellets in with the warm 'slurry' of ingredients, add gel and then freeze the whole thing. I just take it out a few days before feeding to thaw.

It would still be worth trying a diet change for a week or so to see if there is an improvement though, just to be safe.

I think that makes sense about freezing the food Chrissy and Amy. I guess it probably could have referred to freezing an entire bag of the food in its original form.

Which I have done with Metromeds and Jumpstart before I knew better. Freezing dry food is definately a bad idea. Regardless, I am going to try peas and frozen foods for this week because he was definately constipated. I think he is getting way too much of the gel food because he is the biggest and manages to cram it in faster than the others. We'll see if that helps. Then I might try to teach him to hand feed so the others get their share.

I am starting to lean towards the possibility that he made himself worse with an injury. Something was up beforehand for sure because his tail was already ragged, but this bloody tail is different and I found a bloody spot on his belly. I put in a new peice of driftwood and I remember Walley got caught under it one time and I'm wondering if Howl did the same?

I talked to Lynda and when she dosed him with the AB food it was only for seven days. Was that too short?

Anyway, right now I have Melafix in. I'm considering re-salting to .01%. What do you guys think?

And Lynda is giving me her old bottle of Pimafix since that needs used up, so I can add that as well.

Howl looks slightly better today. One side is much less red, the other part of the tail is still pretty bloody, but he seems more spunky today. Anyway, thanks all.

it could even just be that all the meds he got totally stripped his intestines and lowered his immunity - so he is just having a huge reaction to little things - like soma bacteria in the driftwood maybe. Instead of any meds I would feed him the JumpStart for a week and see how he goes - and add salt just to prevent further infection. I think if he had gotten hurt if would be more ripped and less bloody red looking.

Good point. Out goes that driftwood just in case. Poor Walley was trapped under it for hours and I forgot that I took it out because of that. now I need to figure out what to put that plant on.

I think I figured out the culprit and I am NOT happy about it. I decided to watch the tank a little while after the light went out tonight and guess what I saw. Ponyo like a little shark flying around the tank chasing Walley's tail and chewing up what she could grab. Then she went after Howl. I have her floating in two gallon bucket (I punched holes in the bottom) right now. I hope she will be okay in that for a few days until I can figure out what to do.

My plan is to let Howl heal up and then let her out and try again. But then what if it doesn't work? I hate to get rid of her. She is such a cutie. Though admittedly she is much less cute tonight. She is really miserable in that bucket, but poor Walley and Howl could not get a break. She was incredibly agressive with the tail eating.

Is this like wen eating? Once a wen eater always a wen eater? I adore her and it would be a shame to take her back to the store, but I can't run a second tank and I can't have her eating her tankmates.

Oh no, that is horrible! :o In a way though it might be better than some nasty mysterious illness, at least you know what the problem is now. But still, what a bummer :( Do you think you could rehome Ponyo to your friend who QTed them for you? Just a thought.

Oh NO NOT Ponyo !!! She is my fave!!!

I have had some aggression but never actual 'eating'... does Walley chase her away? Cause he has no torn fins? It could still be that she chases because Howl is sick... :undecided: Oh poor you what a stress.

i had jewel and hershey butt pinching pork chop!! LOL.. as cute as it was the poor dear wasn't getting any rest..

i put both hershey and jewel in the naughty tank for 2 weeks. put both back in the tank and jewel was fine, hershey was still at it. so hershey went back into the naughty tank for another week, solo..

then, i put hershey back in, no problems..

you may want to try this for two reasons, one, to let howl and wally's tails repair themselves and to allow ponyo enough time to break the habbit..

it's worth a try.. i would have hated to have rehomed jewel and hershey and i was absolutely wrapped that it worked!.. it was very rewarding to me also for having solved a problem. :)

smiles and good behaviour all 'round now and this was approximately a month ago.