Temperature And Spawning.

j0shua

HEATERS

The main reason that a heater is so important is that they keep the temperature steady. Fast changes in temperature from air conditioners, heating from a light source and then drop when the light goes out, etc. can highly stress the fish, causing disease like ich and problems like dropsy.

Although goldfish are "coldwater fish" this only means they will not die in colder water. It does not mean it is ideal for goldfish. Single tailed GF with short fins, like comets may do well in temperatures as low as 65-70oF. But fancy goldfish are raised and do better at higher temperatures 75-80oF.

A breeder of goldfish in China says

"1). We observed bacteria through microscope for some years we found:

bacteria can be found from 4 degree C to about 20 degree C. Among the range of the temperature, different temperature range have different kinds of bacteria. These bacteria can lead the deadth of goldfish.

If the temperature is over 34 degree C we can find other different kinds of bacteria. These bacteria also effect the safe of goldfish.

So 28 degree C. is the most safe temperature for goldfish. From our obvervation we can also understand why tropical fish have not so many diseases compared with goldfish. The temperature range tropical fish live have not so many bacteria.

2). We also supplied some goldfish for other people made some concerned experiments for a whole year. The experiments showed the temperature of 28 degree C is the most safe temperature for goldfish, and goldfish grows the most fast. But the goldfish can't spawning at this temperature. Spawning may effect the life of goldfish. Reducing the times of spawning can make goldfish living a long time.

Sun Hongliang

I was sent the above as a message, I didn't read the source and after googling it up, I'm not sure how safe that site is.

The reason I ask is that my tank temperature usually sits at about 28-29 Celcius during the day and 27 Celcius at night. The first time Pumpkin started producing eggs, she got real big and we were very worried and when she did release them after much concern, they were all unfertilised. The second time, which was recently, she started pineconing and we're struggling to save her right now. Both times her partner Ponyo did not try to mate with her.

My question is this: did the temperature prevent Ponyo from breeding with her? Or is the temperature preventing her from releasing her eggs this time round? Is there even a way to prevent her from further producing eggs in the future?

28C which is 82F I find kind of high for goldfish myself. Lots of members keep their tanks that high I know though. Mine are at 74F pretty much all the time, I have had no problems.

If your goldfish is still pineconing this could be dropsy and you should start a thread in Diagnosis & Discussion to save your fish. A swollen belly is also a sign of dropsy. Get on top of this fast if it is dropsy as it is fatal. I have never known a female to pinecone from being egg bound, but I have been wrong before.

I think it is the temperature flucuation from warmer to colder which causes the female to drop which I beleive simulates morning when fish are known to lay their eggs. When you say they were un-fertilized eggs are you saying your male is not milting? The female drops her eggs and the male milts(fertilizes) them.

I dont think that temperature would cause them not to spawn. I am not sure all the reasons she wont lay the eggs, other members probably know the reasons. I do know epsom salts can help them lay the eggs, I think the dose is 1/4 teaspoon per 10 gallons. You can also stroke her belly (dont squeeze) if you are comfortable handling her. Just cup her near the surface, do not lift her out of the water. I wouldn't say their is a way to stop her from producing eggs. Maybe they go through menopause.

Lots of veggies should be feed when the female is egg bound. Blanched unshelled squished peas work well, also steamed veggies, cut finely.

Keep us posted :)

Edited by Hawaiian Crush

If she's pineconing it's not likely eggs. Temperature changes can bring on spawning in the wild but I do not know enough about breeding to confirm that it happens in tanks. Please do not handle your fish, even just stroking her in her condition will irritate her slime coat and make her more vulnerable to problems.

Try doing a large water change and see if that won't get her to drop her eggs, it seems to do the trick for my females in the past. As far as why your male didn't spawn it's just the way it is, sometimes they do sometimes they don't. Storms with the dropping barometric pressure can also prompt breeding.

There's not really anything you can do to stop her from creating eggs. She's a female fish and that's what they do.

If your fish is still in distress please post in disease and diagnosis, fill out all the parts in the box above the section.