Fuzzy Tank Problem

Have been reading the post for some time and trying to piece the puzzle together to solve my tank problem.

I have an old 5.5 Gallons (US) tank and had 10 gold fishes died in it while cycling since July 14th 2010. :(

The gold fish were meant to be my 15 mth old boy first pet.

Without knowing about tank cycling initially, got 2 at first, added in 4, died 1 and added in another 2 and that?s 7 lion head gold fishes in total for the first week.

By then I have already found out about the nitrogen cycle and got the ammonia test kit and doing test every day. It's always 4 ppm even with every other day PWC. Yeah... too much fish... I know... but too late... :(

On the 2nd week, his aunt knew that all the initial batch of gold fish had died and suddenly 2 more gold fishes arrived. Should be fantail which I guess is suppose to be hardier. This spoilt my plan for a fishless cycle. Knew that the ammonia is gonna kill it soon, I bought Ammo-lock ASAP and added it every other day. Was also adding Interpet Filter Start every other day. Ammonia level was at about 2 ppm(which I though was ok as it is not suppose to be toxic with Ammo-lock in the water) This went on for about a week or so till last Monday morning, the last fish died...

The day before the last fish died, in an attempt to save it, I did 50% water change and replace with treated water and immediately did another 25% water change to bring the ammonia level to 1ppm. Since then, the ammonia level was 1-2 ppm and till today no nitrites at all. Am using fish food for the fishless cycle, 1 air stone, 1 box filter with floss and 1 x Hailea RP200 26.4 GPH(100 Litres/hr) internal filter(sponge medium with carbon within). Today is the 22nd day and the cycle is not progressing. I have few doubts which I hope can get some help on.

1. There is no expire date on the Interpet Filter Start and the box looks old when I bought it. Could it be no longer effective and is actually killing the bb?

2. With 10 dead fish in the water before, would the water be too toxic and requires a full water change, filter wash to start it all over again?

I have been following this forum closely and applying all the tips to cycle the tank but it seems like getting nowhere. I had rinse the internal filter in used water about 1 week ago (as recommended by the filter start guide when there is no change after 7 dose) only to find out from the forum that I should not touch the filter at all :(

I know the tank is too small even for 1 gold fish which we are waiting for a bigger one to upgrade to when our uncle find a spare one from his aquarium shop. By then that will be the start of another problem which I will ask later. Any tips on transferring the current cycle over?

Here is my 5.5 Gallons tank when the last gold fish was still alive 1 week ago.

goldfishtank.jpg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

welcome to Koko.

Basically your tank is way too small for any goldfish. If you cannot upgrade I suggest you get a male Betta fish for it. They are very hardy and extremely pretty. I have 3 and each have a 4 gallon tank. So it would be perfect.

If you are certain you want to stick with goldfish I suggest you get a 20gallon tank and use that for one MAXIMUM 2 goldfish. I would do a fishless cycle and only buy the fish once the tank is cycled.

I would start the cycle all over after a nice cleaning of the filter - dead fish are full of bad bacteria.

Why male and not female betta fish? any specific reason?

Is there any other fish which i can keep 2? 1 looks lonely.

If i decided to go for betta fish, can I put it in now?

You can also have a female. I just think males are much prettier. Yup the Betta you can put in right away. Just make sure you give the tank a deep cleaning. Then you will need to do a water change once a week with the betta. I take the guys out in a cup and wash it all under hot water then refill. But everyone has different ways. For a betta you will also need a heater. Bettas cannot be kept more than one. And if you want a betta girl tank I think it has to be larger.

Otherwise, you can get a couple of guppies. I am not sure how those work tho. Maybe you should post in the tropical fish section so more experienced members can lead you in the right direction.

The dead fishes were removed almost immediately the moment it was discovered. Is it still necessary to clean it all out? I was thinking of getting the filters ready with the bb so that I don't have to wait so long for the new tank to be cycled. I guessed i will be getting a 30 gallons tank from my uncle soon. Bigger tank is not a problem getting but space is... :(

I always have a dream of keeping gold fish and see it grow big and last a long time. Now with my son, it's a good chance to start again. I used to keep lots of betta fish together with my elder brother when we were young but have to give it up when no one can help to take care of it when my family go away for a long vacation. They are really very hardy and easy to maintain and can be kept in bottles. My gold fish never last and was too young to know about the nitrogen cycle back then.

I would clean it out well (no point in risking anything) and go betta shopping. They are air breathers, so you don't have to worry as much about the cycling process with them. And one would do quite well in that tank. You could add some pretty plants.

Then when you get the thirty gallon you can work on the fishless cycle. Most people just use pure ammonia to start the fishless cycle. Plan on it taking four to six weeks. It will go faster if you can use a heater and run it pretty warm.

I am not so much into the betta fish now. Most prob will just start all over again the fishless cycle in this tank and get the filters ready. And when the bigger tank is in, then I start the betta in the small tank.

Btw it is already quite warm here in Singapore. The water temp is usually around 78 F or more... Outside temp is above 86 F most of the time... Maybe thats is why it is so hard to bring the ammonia down but i do not see others keeping gold fishes with any cooling fan.

Hi koko, i do not have cover for this tank. Will it be a problem to keep any of the fish you had suggested?

This is a 30 cm cube customized tank that my wife got from her uncle for turtles keeping many years ago. the same uncle we are waiting for the new tank from. The turtles out grown this tank long long ago and now staying in bigger container.

Bettas may jump out, but you can use some plastic canvas to put over it. If you have any local craft stores in singapore you can probably find it there for a very cheap price. Plastic canvas looks like this It makes a good makeshift top and a good makeshift tank divider for bettas too.

Sorry for all of the troubles you've had. Hopefully you can get your bigger tank soon; it will be a wonderful hobby for you and your son to share :) Your little tank looks lovely, I agree it would be great for a few guppies, danios or a betta. Not sure if you could also do a dwarf puffer or some tetras? Someone correct me, if I'm wrong.

I think gold fish will be more enjoyable as I prefer to keep longer life animals like turtles. I have 3 terrapin turtles currently. 1 died about a month ago at the age of 10 to some unknown sickness... :(

Maybe will keep some guppies in this small tank once I have the new tank setup with the current filters.

Does guppies need a cycled tank also?

• Admin

Yes they do, but they are more harder in a tank trying to cycle.... In fact I have used my hubbies guppies to cycle tanks with... never had a problem with them :)

Definitely keep Guppies to themselves and goldfish with themselves only since the temperatures are very different. I would keep that 5.5 gallon just for guppies and make a nice little tropical tank with it :D

Went to the aquarium shop today and only left a few guppies that are not that nice looking. Ended up getting 5 Zebra Danio.

SNC00661.jpg

Siphon up the decaying food that i used for the fishless cycle, clean up the filters and yes i bought ceramic rings also!

Replaced the marbles(used as weights) in one the filters with it. Arranging it nicely to pack in more.

SNC00664.jpg

Released the Danios and now i have a tropical tank!!!

SNC00665.jpg

Once I have the bigger tank, will move some of these ceramic rings over to kick start the tank cycling.

Question: Danio are tropical fish then what type of fish are goldfish? Kinda puzzled between goldfish tank and tropical tank???

• Admin

very nice :)

Tropical fish are normally warm water fish. Goldfish are cold water fish and also produce alot of slim coat, so alot of other fish will pick on them, So i dont ever mix other fish with them. :)

• Admin

Also a suggestion when your thinking of getting a goldfish tank... get one that is one size bigger than you think you need. This way it will give your fish plenty of room :)

My 5 new danios are very active. They are chasing each other for the whole day. Think I will be getting 5 more to make it a perfect 10. Hope it is not too much for my little tank.

• Admin

If i remember right about the tropical's tanking space.... Its one ich per fish per gal :) So unlike goldfish which is one goldfish per 10 gals, you have to eye it on the Danio's for how big they are.... then one inch per fish per gallon of water in the tank :) that will tell you how many you can have there :)