I Need A Bit Of Advice...

Sir Lancelot used to be a very friendly and active little dear. Lately (a few weeks), he suddenly developed an issue with floatiness (which he never had before - he could eat ANYTHING), he seems very tired, bottom sits a LOT (sometimes with his dorsal halfway down, but never CLAMPED), usually at one corner of the tank, he often rests with his head up a bit, I see LOTs of stress poop + empty casings (with a bit of food crumbs in them) .... Not much normal poop anymore from him... :( I am getting quite worried - it does seem to be more than 'just' constipation at this point...

What I tried: lowering the tank temp, adding a bubbler, taking out a bubbler, lowering the current, feeding peas and broccoli... ?

Sir L's history: I got him a few months ago from a terrible pet store, his tank had ich but he didn't show any signs. I QTd him for one month and a half with Salt 0.3, Prazi (4rounds) and Jungle AP (because of the stuff going around in that store).

Water Params:

40 gallon, 10x filtration, barebottom.

Ammonia - 0

Nitrites - 0

Nitrates - 0

pH 8-8.2

So, do I have reasons to be this worried? I am not sure what to do at this point. I know that an uncycled tank can be stress on the fish, however, I follow the water changes religiously, I usually do a water change before any clear trace ammonia comes up in the testers...

I have salt, Prazi, Jungle AP and AB, MediGold and Metro...

thanx guys.

Is he in his own tank at the moment? If not I would keep him in his own little quarantine tank by himself. There's no dorsal and fin flicking is there?

I'm at a loss at what it could be since you did such a good quarantine on him. :( I just hope he improves soon. Sending good wishes and :heart

He is in the main tank right now - with Sir Archie and Einstein. Einstein is also acting a bit lazy... :undecided:

I am running 3 20gallon QT tanks and one 20gallon for Dr.House. So I am not too into the idea of moving him unless it is necessary.

What worries me the most is the clamping, he does that and that's when he sort of rests with his head up... Also clamping the pelvic fins... He doesn't flick I think.

I am also worried because empty cases could mean something wrong going on inside - however, I really don't want to use meds unless totally sure - especially since he has already been on the Jungle once.

I have made some gel food with half a garlic in it - apparently that is a good natural 'dewormer and disinfectant' - so I will try feeding that to them for the next few days...

Have also just done a 50% water change.

Federica have you tried adding salt to 0.1%? I do that when one of mine acts off and I can't figure out what is wrong. I leave it in for a week and if he perks up then I figure the fish had the equivalent of a human cold. :D Might be worth a try.

Sorry about that. :doh11: What about the heat then? I don't know about where you are but here it is terribly hot and all my fish are pretty sluggish. And that would def stress them.

Hi Federica,

Sorry to hear about Sir Lancelot. I'm getting clear stress poops from one of mine, too, and I can't tell which one as there's also a set of normal poo. I've fed peas to see if it's constipation, but there's still a set of stress poo. The garlic is a good idea, I've started feeding them the New Life Spectrum Theta stuff with garlic in it (There's also the non-medicated anti-parasitic NLS food that might be an idea if they have parasites and you don't want him to go through another round of meds). Like you, I've eliminated most of the external factors that can cause this, so I'm also thinking it's internal. If it's tummy trouble, do you think adding some lactobacillus to the gel food would help?

Hope he gets well soon!

I think your tank is currently cycling, right? If that is the case, I would attribute "off" behavior to cycling. Even with keeping things as under control as possible the bit of ammonia and nitrite that is inevitably in the water can stress fish out. I am going through the same thing with my main tank and Walley right now.

I would hold off on doing another round of Jungle AP or anything like that now. If there hadn't been a round before I might like that option, but since he has already had one I would hold off.

One thought is, when was the last time that your main tank had prazi? The head up resting does sound a bit worriesome to me, but it could be a result of the floatiness. With a new fish I will often add a round of prazi to the main tank after they go in as well.

thanx guys! You are helping me loads to get my head around this! It is so weird as the symptoms seem to come and go, and more are behavioral...

So, heat wise it was HOT until 2 weeks ago and suddenly now it is coldish. The tank went from 28 to 24-25. That both stressed them probably AND relieved them! So that should be under control now, but I cannot rule out the stress of all these weird temp + weather changes.

Then, Joshua that is a great idea. Infact, my friend has also given me the name of a 'natural dewormer' he uses on his Discus (they don't really sell medicated food here, I get it from the US) - so I will pick that up too. For now they will be having their new GelFood which is: half a garlic, broccoli (these seem to do wonders for floatiness), carrots, tuna and some probiotics. So that should help.

Amy, I also didn't act sooner because I thought it was the stress from an 'un-cycled' tank. However, it is weird that it just started a few weeks ago... I am especially worried with the empty casings. However, I read they could be caused from bad eating, which COULD relate as with the floatiness I have been fasting on and off. So now I will be feeding the gel food 2x a day - small rations. And I check...

I was also thinking of a nice 2 - 3 treatments of Prazi. I have caught them a few times yawning and gulping. They all have had the 4 weeks treatment - but you just never know with flukes!

So I Prazi. Should I hold off on the salt for now?

Yes since the salt hasn't really helped before and they have had salt for quite a while already then I would prazi first. :)

One thing I notice you say their gel food is made with tuna. I'm no expert on goldfish nutrition but tuna is very high in mercury and I know how toxic it can be when fed to cats or dogs so I wonder if that is a good idea? Maybe someone with more knowledge can advise on that. :undecided:

You think? I made it with the tuna I eat... Like a spoonful of it. I think it should be fine for a week. Then next week I put in shrimps or something else instead no?

okey great! I TOTALLY wasn't feeling taking out the garlic again! My hands still stink from that :doh11:

But good news, they LOVED the gel food! I made it into TINY little squares. I will now observe if it gives them any type of floatiness - but I am really starting to think that it is commercial foods that just don't go well for them.

Personally, I have a lot of trouble diagnosing symptoms from poop, cos it varies so much - one day it may be white and thin, the next day it's empty, and sometimes there's half a normal poop with half a casing... From the main page, it appears that the difference in diagnosing constipation and bacterial infection is the thickness of the poop and the air bubbles trapped, but it all looks the same to me.

So I did dig around about constipation a couple of weeks ago, and found that a bit of Epsom in a pea is considered a laxative, and so are mysis shrimp (frozen ones from Hikari). Might be an idea to try both and see if it is indeed constipation, or replace the tuna with mysis. Both are natural so I can't see the harm in it. I've only just picked up both, and will be trying it out on two different sets of fishes.

I also did read this article on fasting and uncycled tanks and how the sudden drop-off in ammonia production can affect the cycling, but I'm not really sure about that.

SO good news guys!

I gave them 3 micro meals of my gel food today - all 3 look WAY more happy and active! :D

There is a lot of green poop on the floor now - from the broccoli last night - 24hrs to process is a bit of constipation right?

Oh and I am seeing a few more empty cases AND some squiggly poop! SO I am now thinking that little Sir Lancelot is reabsorbing eggs? (the other 2 are for SURE males as they had crazy breeding stars in spring) Could that also cause empty casings? That would TOTALLY explain his/her weird behavior!!!

I haven't yet had any experience with eggs, but that does sound like reabsorbed eggs. That might explain some issues.

I use tuna in my gel food. Mostly because I don't want to deal with meat in the house that I have to cook. I haven't had any issues yet with it.

So good news still! Today they are all 3 VERY perky and happy! They are all swiming around together and showing off their fins :)) 'Sir Lancelot' (we are thinking of a new name for her) is very active and is back to swimming with the 2 males (instead of in her corner). NOBODY is floaty thanx to mom's homemade gelfood :food

They got especially active when the sun came out this afternoon! I think they were getting under the weather with all the rain ... Could the weird weather have messed up with Sir L's biological cycle?

Last night I did another water changed and dosed with prazi just in case - since there is some gulping and yawning - so just to be on the safe side...

It's so strange! They also seem to sense storms before they happen! Private weathermen (fish)!

I will be putting a heater in the new tank tho - just to keep the temp more stable.

Things are not good today for Sir L.

It is the 3rd day of Prazi. Today she had a clamped dorsal most of the day - what causes this? Everything that is covered by Prazi? Could the Prazi be causing this? She is inactive again, swam around a few times, but mostly hung out hovering in her corner :( She is slightly head up again. Her others fins are mostly unclamped tho.

Even more, she suddenly has a couple of tears in her tail :( The bump, mole is still on her tail.

Poop-wise, no improvement. Lots of stress poop from her and Sir L as well as some empty cases + squiggly poop occasionally.

Should I try fasting all 3 for 3 days? If it doesn't stop should I start thinking about some medicated food? Maybe MediGold?

I am now thinking she somehow still had flukes after the 4 week prazi and they gave her an infection? is that possible?

Should I Medigold? It would suck to use it if not needed tho. :( she just doesn't look herself...

Still no improvement today so I started her on MediGOld, I HOPE this was the right choice!!! I read that MediGold is good to combine with fluke treatments incase the fish got some infection. I HOPE this works!!!

Just want to say that I am already seeing improvement! I am so glad - she stopped sulking and is now swimming around looking for food :heart