Really Sick Telescope

I started posting in another thread here about how active telescopes are and things went bad really fast.

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? less than 10

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.5

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.0

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? tetra test strips (the ammonia, etc were tested a couple of days ago, out of test now)

[*]Water temperature? 77 degrees

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 30 gallons, 5 months

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? marine-land penguin bio wheel, 100

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? 25-50% every week

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 calico telescopes, 2 inches long (still young)

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Tetra AquaSafe Water Conditioner and Inovation by Oasis 500mL (used by the Japanese fish people)

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? sinking pellets (twice daily) as a treat dried blood worms (twice a week)

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? the new one that is sick now (4 days ago)

[*]Any medications added to the tank? no

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? has frayed tail fins now, top fin clamped down all the way now even when it tries to swim.

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? always on the bottom, getting stuck to the filter, eating decent, was swimming around like crazy 2 days ago.

I dont know what to do anymore, I feel so bad for my little guy. He has something white looking on him I have seen ick before and its not white dots. I tried to get a good picture of what he is looking like but I take horrible tank photos. I look in on him every minute or so, he has been getting stuck to the filter and when he tries to swim he kinda moves around and then sinks to the bottom. Now it looks like maybe his eye covering is peeling off, it looks like a film right at his eye. The other 2 calico's are doing fine and they have nothing on them. This all makes me want to put him down in a humane way cause I can tell he is suffering sometimes he is barley breathing and you have to stare at him for a few to make sure he is still alive.

Here are some pictures:

dscn7155.jpg

dscn7154f.jpg

dscn7147.jpg

When i came down this morning I noticed him swimming around some, thought he was back to normal. He pretty much stayed at the bottom of the tank all day yesterday. I do have a light on them.

Thank you.

I would start with a huge water change without taking them out. Just leave in enough water to cover the fish. Then get some prazi started and/or salt which ever you have on hand till you can get to the store.

Others well come along with better ideas.

So sorry about him. He looks really sad. :(

Is he still in the main tank? He needs to be put in a qt tank or a filtered container as soon as possible.

Hopefully a mod will be along soon to help but to me it looks like a very bad case of ich and finrot.

I have a 5-7 gallon tank I could put him in to get him away from the other 2 guys, but I do not have a extra bubble wand/stone. The only meds I have on hand as of right now are:

ammo-carb

ph up

api liquid fungus cure

ph down

We do live in Japan right now and the fish stores within 10 mins are limited, we have to drive about 45mins to get ot the big fish store.

Would he be ok without a bubble stone/wand, the extra filter we have is a marine-land bio wheel 150. Which I know would be way to big for the 5-7 gallon tank. I know ick can spread to the other fish and I really dont want them sick too. The one pictures was just trying to swim again, I noticed the white stuff on him last night but his fins did not look like that.

We do have 2 more tanks that have fish in them a 55 gallon and another 30 gallon and we have never had problems with those tanks. The 30 gallon we have our telescopes in was bought used, my hubby did clean it really well. Do you think something maybe wrong with the tank or something?

It actually looks like a super bad case of ich to me, but I want to see what others things. The poor guy does look really sad.

Do you have a filter in the small tank? I think it is pretty important at this point to get this fish moved away from the others.

Sometimes new fish just have a lot of stress which can cause these problems.

I think for now he would be okay without the bubblewand as long as you have a filter for the qt tank. Make sure the filter causes some splash at the surface.

You could start treating him with only aquarium salt for now. Add 1 teaspoon of salt for every gallon of water.

If you don't have a filter for the qt tank then do as Hidr suggested. Do a large water change and then add aquarium salt in the main tank.

Do you have a heater in the tank?

I agree, it looks like ich to me too. :( You don't have aquarium salt on hand? If you don't, and can't easily get any, then you can use any salt as long as it is pure NaCl. It cannot contain anything else. Sometimes canning and pickling salt from the grocery store works well, but you have to read the label and make sure it is 100% pure salt. This might be hard to do if you can't read Japanese, but I just thought I'd give you another option to consider.

All I have is table salt, and the filter system I have may be too big for the 5 gallon tank. I would have to set the 5 gallon up since it is just sitting as a spare at the moment. I do have a heater but have never used it. I believe with the power filter can be used up to 30 gallon so I hope it wouldnt be too big for the small tank.

All i have is the morton salt says on the package this salt does not supply iodide, a necessary nutrient. Also says salt, calcium silicate, 590mg sodium, 0 carbs, 0 fat, 0 calories, 0 protein. If I can use this how much would I put in the 5 gallon?

Oh bummer :( If you don't mind doing it, you can actually cut the tube and then reattach the strainer onto the end that you cut shorter (If your filter has a detachable strainer that is). I have done it before with one of my filters and it worked out well.

Figured out a way for it too work now gotta set the tank up and head into work. Left a note for my hubby to finish everything when he gets home in 30mins. Thank you all for the help! I will update this when I get home.

Update: My husband came home and talked to one of his friends since they own a lot of fish, and 2 commons. They told him to put a heater in the 30 gallon and keep it at 90 degrees and that will get rid of the ick. I thought that anything above 85 degrees would kill the goldfish?

The sick one is at the top swimming around and looks like some of the white stuff is going away, his fins still look bad but at least he is not staying on the bottom anymore. Is the temp 90 ok for the telescopes?

Right now the temp is reading 84 degrees

Also the healthy telescopes are bottom sitting now but their top fin does not looked clamped. The fish are use to a temp of around 76 or so.

Edited by cloudy_starlight

I think that is way too warm. WHen I was fighting ich I had the temp on at 82-83. I really wouldn't go higher...

The heat will speed their life cycle, the salt at 0.3% will kill all the free swimming organisms (not affecting the ones embedded in the fish, but the heat will make those 'hatch' faster). make you you keep your substrate extra clean etc - ich can hide out anywhere!

btw, with ich you have to also treat the entire main tank - as some eggs for sure hatched in there already. again, all you need is the salt (at 0.3% (increased by 0.1 in 12 hr periods) and heat

:exactly Goldfish can't handle that much heat. That is the recommended heat for tropical fish with ich. With that kind of heat your goldfish won't have enough oxygen in the water.And if you do raise your heat it should be done very slowly so as to not shock your fish. :) Edited by caitie

That's what I was thinking too, the sick one really isnt swimming he's just hanging out up top. I think we should still move him into his own tank but now im worried the other 2 may get ick now. Going crazy and not sure what to do anymore. We can go to the store on base and get ick treatment stuff but if we put that in the tank, will we have to totally re-do the tank after a couple of days? And will we have to change the filter out too?

you don't need ich treatment - the salt will kill all the ich like the meds do - but it is WAY milder.

you can move out the sick fish, so he can also have a special 'rigged' filter that can't suck him up - try a sponge in the intake.

the you salt 0.1% now, pass to 0.2% in 12 hrs and then to 0.3% in another 12. the spots should all fall off soon - the ich usually gets worse before it gets better. the good thing is that the salt will also fix the fins.

I noticed that your tap pH is lower than your tank one - maybe that is why he was getting the white coating? Did it happen after a water change?

is the sick fish eating? keep him eating nutritious foods with high proteins to get his energy up.

Yes it did happen after the 50% water change we did a day and a half ago. Do you believe this is really ick then? He is still at the top of the tank just floating around and kinda on his side. Not swimming just floating but still breathing. He did eat better today than he did yesterday, we are giving all of them sinking pellets. Also Im not sure if the store here on base has the salt, and off base i would haven o idea what it would look like since I can not read Japanese.

I think salt is your best bet. maybe check on the dictionary?

the in the future I would get a rubber tub that holds enough for your weekly 50% water changes. you fill it up the night before + add an airstone. and by the next morning your pH should match your tank pH. That is what I do with my tank - my tap is 7.2 and my tank is 8.2

Thank you for the help, we are going out tomorrow and get the salt. My husband has the heater set at 83, it turns on and off by itself. The sick one is still just floating on the top of the tank and the other 2 are hanging out in the bottom.

I am confused on how much salt we add to the tank?

How much of a water change will we have to do after we add the salt and how often?

Should we buy a new filter after the ick is gone?

Forgot to ask, can we still have the light on them even with the heater?

I did not know if that would make it too hot for them.

turning the light off might be better to relax the sick fish.

let me post you a link about salting -

My link

hope this clears things up for you!

as for the water change, it just depends about your water param readings. with ich, however, I like to do water changes every few days so I can 'suck out' some free swimming ich and keep the substrate clean etc. you can also boil any deco you have and maybe keep it out until the ich has cleared.

as for the filter it depends - for sure you won't need to buy a new one. the salt should kill most ich. maybe you will want to boil the media - but I wouldn't suggest doing that unless you have a VERY stubborn ich.

hope your fishie hangs in there.

The problem with qting at this point is most likely the other fish well have it now. I would treat the entire tank. Also if he is already floating around like that I would not wait till tomorrow to get the salt treatment started.

The store on base that may have it closed while i was at work, really wishing we had a nnnnnn or something like that here. As soon as we get up in the morning we will go get the salt. Cause all the salt we have in the house right now is Morton's. Thank you all and I will keep you updated.