Can Goldies Get Beauty Spots?

I noticed today, while doing a water changes, that Sir Lancelot has a sort of 'mole' on his tail. You cannot really see it unless you look at the tail from the top - it appears like a little growth, in the middle of the lower part of his 'left' tail. Otherwise, you don't notice it, it is black just like that part of the tail.

So I was wondering, can they get mole-type things? Can the fins grow some 'bumps' of fatter skin? In a dog you could also say it was a 'tik'... Can fish get similar things?

Must I do anything?

Params,

Ammonia 0

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 0

pH 8

tank size 40gallons, 3 fish, 10x filtration. Not cycled and not trying to cycle this tank (separate fishless cycle is in progress) - I do frequent water changes for now.

My ryukin Yoshi arrived with something just like that on his tail fin. I think it is damage from shipping in his case, but I'm not sure what it could be with your fish. Is there any chance he bumped into something sharp?

the tank is bare except an airstone :( unless he bumped it in the intake or something. should I be worried? it't not like an embedded parasite or something nuts?

• Admin

If it looks smooth like the fin its self i would say dont worry to much, keep an eye out.

If it looks raised then I would say try to get a pic so we can figure it out :)

Rusty has one on her tail, has done since I've had her and that's about 8-9 months now, it's never done anything other than grow with her tail, never out of proportion and it's never changed colour or fuzzed or anything nasty. It's slightly darker than her tail but still has been consistent :)