Tank Juggling

Currently in my house I am now running six tanks. I was supposed to have five (well, actually I was intending to have two but then Stu got into fishkeeping and suddenly my house is full of tanks), and three would come with me to uni and the other two would stay with Stu. The problem has arisen with Addie struggling too much to get anywhere in the 24 gallon tank and being moved to a 6 gallon (not permanently). I don't know if he's ever going to be able to manage in the 24 gallon and at the current moment it's running with three minnows in it, was four until this evening but I lost one today sometime. It seems a bit of a waste of a tank...

I'm a bit stumped as to what to do with the minnows and the 24 gallon. Addie is happy in the 6 gallon but I don't think I want to put the three minnows in there too, and three isn't really a good number for a schooling fish. I don't know whether to get another 2 and a 10 gallon tank for them and just retire the 24 gallon to a cupboard, or get a few more, maybe another 7 and some platies or guppies and setup a tropical community tank as I think minnows are ok at tropical temperatures. I can't just ditch the minnows (even though, you know, they're just fish :rolleyes: ) but I only have a 5 gallon going spare and it's actually a green box that was the bottom of a gerbilarium so not that great for viewing and doesn't have a lid - and these guys have jumped before (or a 2 gallon but that's too small really). I don't know if I'll have space for another biggish tank in my pokey studio flat in September, I could leave it with Stu and clean it out when I'm at his most weekends (I might miss the occasional one but I don't think that would be a problem).

I can't really afford another smaller tank for them unless I find an amazing deal online, and I don't know if I want to buy any more fish right now. I'm getting a bit swamped with what I have already even though it wouldn't require actually adding any more tanks or buying any more equipment. Heretical though it might seem it's been ages since I've felt the need for any new fish and I don't see that changing anytime soon. The last thing I need right now is more pets.

I keep weighing up different sides and I'm just getting myself all confused, going round like a see-saw that spins too. The minnows seem quite happy just the three of them in that huge tank but they don't really need 8 gallons each and I'm not actually sure the filter's got any bacteria in it anymore....they're not exactly big waste producers! We're going on holiday on Friday, and moving the week after we get back so I won't be doing anything until after that, but I still want to kinda plan out what I do with it if anything...

What do you guys think?

Well, I think you have a bunch of options and if you are like me that makes you crazy. My first thought is that if you keep things like they are then the minnows can stay at Stu's and if you miss a water change here or there it is no big deal because you aren't overstocked. But if you are like me and hate wasting water and electricity than you may want to downsize them to a ten. You could plant it down the road and make it fun or wait until the six gallon is available if that is enough space for them.

Darn...I'm not sure that was any help at all. I think I just repeated your same options to you...

I realised this morning that while I may only currently have random plastic tubs spare right this second, I am intending to upgrade Addie to a 15 gallon square so there's less depth to volume, so there's nothing to say they can't either go in there with him (because lets face it, they're not going to add much poop at all and they've been with him before no problems) or his current 6 gallon tank will be vacant and if I planted it up or something would make a good home for a group of 5 I think, though it's smaller than some recommend. I will look into this. They can stay as and where they are until I find Addie a tank :)