Can't Find A Pic Of A Ribbon Tail

Wendy

I couldn't find a pic but I did find this info :)

Ribbontail Caudal

This is another confusing caudal fin type. A ribbontail caudal should be long with a deep indentation or an inward "V". The length of the caudal should be very long on a true Ribbontail goldfish, Causing the caudal to curt and flute as an adult fish. This variety looks much like a Ryukin without the hump on its back, with a robust egg shaped body. A quality true Ribbontail goldfish should have long caudal fins that are 1 1/2 to twice the length of the body and a tall straight dorsal fin. Although most Ribbontail goldfish grey_loader.gifavailable today have caudal fins that are only slightly longer than the body length. Sometimes Orandas with no headgrowth and long caudal fins are sold as Ribbontail goldfish. However, they are not true because of body shape and they usually have a blunt head. Comet goldfish and American Shubunkins have a single ribbontail caudal. Do not confuse the long finned ribbontail caudal with the Veiltail caudal. Both should be long in caudal length. The veiltail does not have the deep "V" indentation from here http://www.fish-forums.com/board/cms_view_article.php?aid=106

I thought "ribbon tail" only referred to tail type, not a complete separate breed of goldfish. The only fish under the description they give I can think of IS veil tail, aside from the actual tail confirmation. Perhaps I'm being confused by the labeled "Ribbon tail ryukin" I've seen before? Anyone thinking the same way I am?

Texana, I have seen some examples of ribbon tail, just not on moors or black telescopes. I have seen it on orandas, pearlscales and ryukins, try searching them as well. Some of them can be obscure, might have to do some digging.

Perhaps it can be a tail type as well as its own separate variety. Kind of like the butterfly. The butterfly is it's own type of fish that has a butterfly tail, telescope eyes, and round body. But I have also seen butterfly ryukins; and they have a butterfly tail on a ryukin body... :idont

Perhaps it can be a tail type as well as its own separate variety. Kind of like the butterfly. The butterfly is it's own type of fish that has a butterfly tail, telescope eyes, and round body. But I have also seen butterfly ryukins; and they have a butterfly tail on a ryukin body... :idont

That's a great way to think of it, a very good comparison, Sakura. I never thought of the similar circumstances like butterfly tails.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't call that a ribbon tail either.....

Here's a picture of one of my Tamasaba with what I consider a ribbon tail...It's at least as long as her body and has a deep fork (though this picture isn't the best of the fork...)

HPIM1284.jpg