Temporary Use Of A Filter For Fishless Cycle

Hi all,

I am awaiting delivery of a new aquarium, it comes complete with a internal filter. I will be buying a new large external filter in the very near future. What i want to know is if it will be ok to use the internal filter to cycle the tank, and then plug in the external filter when it arrives? or will i need to wait again until that filter is also cycled?

i hope you can understand what i am trying to ask :)

thanks

I think you could cycle the tank with the internal filter, and then remove the media from the internal and pop it in the bigger filter when it arrives.

That will at least give your colony of bacteria a jump start.

You can keep the media from the internal filter in your big filter indefinitely so that during emergency situations (like having to QT a new or sick fish) you already have media colonized that you can pop into the internal and onto the QT tank. a

Never hurts to have an extra filter stowed, and to have cycled media to put in it can be a life saver!

the internal filter is a built in five tray top filtration system, so i am not sure how easy it can be removed. As long as i know i don't need to wait for both filters to be cycled then i am a happy bunny.

thanks for your help