Now Ive Seen Everything

garmon

so i was looking at the state board of hairdressers because i was renewing my license and it had a newsflash that said fish pedicures have been denied due to sanitary reasons. so i was like what is a fish pedicure. i googled it .. and sure enough you stick your feet in a fish tank of starving fish and they eat your dead skin... blech . http://www.prairiestateoutdoors.com/index.php?/scattershooting/article/fish_that_give_pedicures/

I have never been able to get a pedicure because my feet are so ticklish, but I used to be able to let the bluegill at the lake nibble my toes. I think I could handle a fish pedi!

I think the problems that the salons where having was the lack of ability to sanitize live fish between customers.

You can change out the water, but having to get new fish each time wouldn't work out so good. They'd have to dispose of the used fish and that colors the issue ethical as opposed to just sanitary.

:undecided:

Okay, now I am going to be the one on here to admit that I have done this!

But to paint the picture for you, it was last summer and I was in Tokyo. I went to an onsen (a bath house) that was beyond amazing. Every kind of bath you can imagine from milk, to rose water, to outdoor barrel hot tubs. The commnunal area was an outdoor stream with round stones in it to massage your feet. Then they had the fish pedicure hut. I couldn't pass up an opportunity to try something that weird.

This particular hut was a very large pond with wooden benches all around. The reason these fish are used is that beside liking to clean dead skin they can live in warm water. These fish were small, but had big bellies so they sure weren't starving. They are alot like plecos and when you first put your feet in they just swarm you, even climbing up to your knees and partially out of the water. It was kind of gross and totally cool at the same time and it tickled like crazy. I sure didn't notice my feet being any softer though.

I've enjoyed trout pedicures out in my backyard stream but I didn't think of it as a pedicure but communing with our fishy friends. It didn't hurt either of us and was good for a giggle...

Okay, now I am going to be the one on here to admit that I have done this!

But to paint the picture for you, it was last summer and I was in Tokyo. I went to an onsen (a bath house) that was beyond amazing. Every kind of bath you can imagine from milk, to rose water, to outdoor barrel hot tubs. The commnunal area was an outdoor stream with round stones in it to massage your feet. Then they had the fish pedicure hut. I couldn't pass up an opportunity to try something that weird.

This particular hut was a very large pond with wooden benches all around. The reason these fish are used is that beside liking to clean dead skin they can live in warm water. These fish were small, but had big bellies so they sure weren't starving. They are alot like plecos and when you first put your feet in they just swarm you, even climbing up to your knees and partially out of the water. It was kind of gross and totally cool at the same time and it tickled like crazy. I sure didn't notice my feet being any softer though.

i would like this scenario better.. i guess having them in the foot baths freaks me out. they can get pretty yucky

Almost the same subject. :rolleyes: In my reef tank I used to have two cleaner shrimp, when you put your hand in the tank they would come and clean off all the dead skin on your hand. They did a great job on my cuticules. :D

But I don't know if I would like the fish pedicure though. :undecided:

These fish first grew famous because of the springs in Turkey where these fish would come and eat away the dead skin and tissues from people who had skin conditions such as psoriasis. It supposedly helped manage their conditions and some people claiming healing properties. I think they are neat for cases like those, for people who have ailments which can be made more pleasant, but for the spa pedicure, I think it's more of a novelty.

For me it tickled so much that it didn't relax me to much, but it was neat to try. Especially being in a kimino surrounded by an adorable giggling Japanese couple. It was the guy in the couple who kept squealing like a girl. Made me laugh!