Anubias Help

ashv20

Hi guys,

I recently purchased an anubias nana on driftwood from my LFS. After a day , a snail population was discovered on the wood and plants (ramshorn (sp?)

The driftwood was pretty...well unusable, so I removed the anubias and chucked the wood.

My mother bought the wrong bleached- scented so it was a while before I was able to purchase proper bleach, so I kept the small plant in a bucket of dechlorinated water and API LEAF ZONE, the plant was fine for a few days and showed no signs of decay.

When I got a hold of proper bleach i dipped the plant for around 15 secs in a bleach solution of 1 cup bleach, 19 cups of water.

The plants was rinsed and placed in a bucket of heavily dechlorinated water fro rinsing, and rinsed again and again...

After being put back in the tank, I was away for two days and returned but find that the leaves are...falling appart. the tips are going yellow, and when touched easily turn to mush.on the first 1-3 cms of the tip of the leaves.

Have I shocked the plant?

Any solution to help it get better?

Ihave been adding API leaf zone whilst it's in the tank.

Thanks!

EDIT: tank is doing a fishless cycle, ammonia is currently 8ppm. Although I do recall that plants absorb ammonia...

Edited by ashv20

Hi guys,

I recently purchased an anubias nana on driftwood from my LFS. After a day , a snail population was discovered on the wood and plants (ramshorn (sp?)

The driftwood was pretty...well unusable, so I removed the anubias and chucked the wood.

My mother bought the wrong bleached- scented so it was a while before I was able to purchase proper bleach, so I kept the small plant in a bucket of dechlorinated water and API LEAF ZONE, the plant was fine for a few days and showed no signs of decay.

When I got a hold of proper bleach i dipped the plant for around 15 secs in a bleach solution of 1 cup bleach, 19 cups of water.

The plants was rinsed and placed in a bucket of heavily dechlorinated water fro rinsing, and rinsed again and again...

After being put back in the tank, I was away for two days and returned but find that the leaves are...falling appart. the tips are going yellow, and when touched easily turn to mush.on the first 1-3 cms of the tip of the leaves.

Have I shocked the plant?

Any solution to help it get better?

Ihave been adding API leaf zone whilst it's in the tank.

Thanks!

EDIT: tank is doing a fishless cycle, ammonia is currently 8ppm. Although I do recall that plants absorb ammonia...

I would guess the short answer here is yes.The reason for just soaking it in the solution for just 15 sec,is you just want it to kill the nasties,and not the plant. I would def take it out of the tank and put it back in the bucket-I have many anubias,and they do great in NO ammonia. I don't know if it's too late to save it or not :oops: Good luck,and let us know how it does ;)

I agree with Susan. My anubias are unkillable! Oh and I do believe plants absorb nitrates as food, the end product of the nitrogen cycle, not ammonia.

Ahh I see.

Well I put the plant in a bucket with dechlorinated water and some leaf zone.

How long do you guys think it will last in there?

Or should I put it in my other tank, which is still cycling, but gets a water change everyday pretty much...

I'm still nervous about putting it in with my fish after the snails and dipping it in bleach :unsure:

I think you can just leave it in the bucket, you can put it out in your garden/balcony if you have one. I 'forgot' a couple of anubias in a bucket on my balcony for a few weeks and they look great. ;)