Sign in to follow this  
amynmitchell

Am I Really Smart Or Really Stupid?

I have been trying really hard to get more DO in my tank and more surface movement. After Imo told me that tank with lots of DO don't have ulcer issues (at least like the kind I had) this has been really on my mind.

Since the current was bothering Walley I bought a spray bar and hoped that it would serve that purpose and add more dissolved oxygen. But it realy tended to make the top of the tank look like it was boiling with big blurps rather than teh little bubbles I hoped for.

Tonight I decided to do something possibly crazy and wrap my bubble wand around the spray bar and viola....lots of little bubbles.

Is this totally crazy? Will this possibly cause problems?

the spray bar isn't for making the bubbles...it's for splash. the bubble wand is for the bubbles. the splash drives the bubbles down into the tank for oxygenation.

but if you put the two together and are happy w/ how it goes then I say :Congrats: !

:exactly

I don't think there is anything wrong with how you have it set up! :D

That would explain why the spray bar wasn't doing what I thought it should! whatjust.gif I thought people used it in place of bubble bars, but mine didn't seem to make any DO at all.

I'm going to live with it for a few days. My only worry is that wihtout anything on the bottom of the tank (where the bubble bar used to be) it might not get stirred up enought down there. But almost immediately, Walley has been out and about more. So that seems good.

Edited by amynmitchell

It seems like as long as your filter intake tubes go down far enough, then the water would get stirred up enough at the bottom :)

Good point! I hadn't thought of that. So far, so good. I'm going to keep my eye on it for a bit.

I feel like I am never truly settled with my tank for some reason.