Sign in to follow this  
EdgarTheFish

So Tomorrow I Have To Run An Errand Right Past The Lfs..

But before I decide on getting another Betta I want to make sure that the tanks ok. Mom put bleach water in the tank (no clue as to the ratio of bleach to water) she bleached the tank overnight with the stones, a decoration, and a plastic plant. Its a plastic tank, 1.5 gallons. I just emptied the water out and am going to let it dry out.. it smells strong though. Will it be safe after its dried out for a few days? I have a plan of a jar with daily water changes if I end up with a "must have" but for now Im going to be very picky as to what fish will come home with me.. I also am wondering if anyone knows of a heater thats inexpensive and small enough to fit in a plastic 1.5 gallon tank.

fill with dechlorinated tap water and set out for an hour or so to remove any bleach left over. Then I'd place it in a sunny window, or outside in direct sunlight until dry. As long as the smell is gone you're good to go. always use water treated w/ declorinator to neutralize the bleach.

Edited by Martha

Crystal, I've seen some small drop in heaters made especially for Betta bowls and tanks. Inexpensive and from what I've seen they come highly recommended.

-Dennis

Ok cool. I'll soak it with the dechlorinated water overnight and then in the morning before I leave for my errands I'll set it out to dry.

It'll be hard to maintain a tank at a certain temp under 2 gallons. the smaller automatic heaters work well for 2+gallons but I wouldn't risk putting it in anything smaller. I've had them malfunction and nearly kill fish :\

It'll be hard to maintain a tank at a certain temp under 2 gallons. the smaller automatic heaters work well for 2+gallons but I wouldn't risk putting it in anything smaller. I've had them malfunction and nearly kill fish :\

Agreed. I had a hydor mini heater that worked great in a 2.5 gallon tank and transferred it to a 1.5 gallon hex tank and it heated the tank to about 89* before I unplugged it. I thought it might be faulty so I put it back in the original tank and monitored it. It worked fine again.

Ok I'll be having to upgrade then! Especially since I now have a new betta.. No clue what his tail type is.. like a mix between HM and the one that looks like a playing card.. spade? Hes gorgeous.

so I think the tank still has a bit of a smell to it, but I let it dry out in the sun for 2 hours and it soaked overnight with conditioned dechlorinated tap water before then. Any ideas how to fix it so he doesnt have to live in a jar until I upgrade?

you know, I am sorry I didn't think of this before, but is this acrylic? I've never owned an acrylic tank before, so with the glass tanks there is no smell.

rinse rinse rinse rinse...I wonder if you could soak/wipe it with a concentrated amount of dechlorinator?

Oh Congrats on the new Guy :) looking forward to some pic's :) No ideas on the DE bleach smell issue as I have never had to do that before (knocks on wood ;))

And add a huge triple dose of conditioner to the water...that should help!

Ok what worked was me going krazy.gif on conditioners.. I filled the tank with spring water (no fish in it) and added a 10g dose of my yellow bottle water conditioner, prime, and amquel+ then I scrubbed scrubbed (my hands smell so nasty still from the amquel) and then I dumped it out and put new water now he's happy in his new clean tank.