Is It Getting Harder To Find Goldfish In Local Pet Store?

Guest cuckooc

Guest cuckooc

I live in east bay area, near San Francisco. I began to keep goldfish as pet in 2005. At that time, I could easily find some nice goldfish breed in local aquarium store, such as crown pearlscale, ranchu, lionhead. I could even find those breed in pet chain store. In recent year, I realized that many aquarium store shifted to focus on selling aquatic plant and tropical fish. I couldn't find nice goldfish anymore. What they are selling are just comets, and ryukin. Does this happen in the aquarium store where you often visit? Is this hobby of keeping goldfish fading away?

Anyone live in east bay area or San Francisco here? Could you please tell me where can I look for pearlscale and lionhead?

Edited by cuckooc

If you're lucky enough to live near SF, you must visit Hung Ming Aquarium (a.k.a. Pet Central) on Broadway in Chinatown. They specialize in fancy goldfish and literally have more than 25 tanks filled with all breeds and sizes. Go! Go! Go!

Guest cuckooc

Thanks for your reply. Hung Ming is the only store I know which sell various breed of goldfish. They used to have very nice goldfish a few years ago. Their breed looked very nice and all of them are egg-shaped. But now, their goldfish are more streamline now, look like cross-breed with comet. Maybe it's the supplier's problem?

I keep visiting that store every 2 weeks and I just went there yesterday. But with no luck, I couldn't find the goldfish I like. If they don't have the goldfish I like, that means I have no other place to go...

If you're lucky enough to live near SF, you must visit Hung Ming Aquarium (a.k.a. Pet Central) on Broadway in Chinatown. They specialize in fancy goldfish and literally have more than 25 tanks filled with all breeds and sizes. Go! Go! Go!

The next time I am in San Fran, I will be there. :D

My lfs, which isn't so local, has EVERY goldie you could want...that is if you want a goldie with ammonia burns. They had a cute pearlscale oranda with most of his caudal fin gone to ammonia.

• Admin

i think it comes down to breeders..... See the LFS want to sell the fish and make a profit, same thing with breeders that sell to the LFS. So it seems to me, that they have shifted to fish that most people want, so the fish have turned into the general stream line and not like what we remember :(

Guest Harrygoldfish

Cukooc I Live In The United Kingdom On The East Coast In Lowestoft.My LFS Is Called Cherry Lane Garden Centre.

They only sell Black Moor,Fantail,Red Cap Oranda Thats It :(

Edited by Harrygoldfish