White Poo?

Pontosfan

So, Dizzy, my little ranchu, has had a little trail of poo leaving his back side on and off for a few days now which I had put down to his over eating which I was trying to sort out in another thread. However, i've just been and looked at him now and it's a long trail of alomost all white poo? What could this mean?

It could likely be stress, or it could indicate another issue that will need to be addressed. Unfortunately we won't be able to tell what's wrong with him unless we get all the info in the white box above. Can you try to get a picture of the poo as well? I know it's weird, but it will help :)

I can't do a test even if I wanted to: I just can't afford a test kit. I get the feeling taht most people on here won't even try help me and my fish on a matter of principal. I did ask what it could mean rather than what it does mean; so thanks to you, Sakura for giving me something.

That is not it at all. We need more info to be able to help. Anything is just guessing and wont help you or your fish.

Oh well in that case, i'll just sit around and watch my fish die because I can't afford a test kit. Thanks a lot.

Keeping fish requires spending money and a test kit is way up there in the got to have. (along with proper sized tank, filters, meds....) Even when fish are not sick the water needs to be tested on regularly just to make sure it is in good shape.

Oh well in that case, i'll just sit around and watch my fish die because I can't afford a test kit. Thanks a lot.

I think you're missing a crucial point here, Pontosfan. Guessing without complete info can actually HARM your fish if the wrong medication or procedure is recommended.

Aquarium stores will almost always test water for free if you bring them a sample.

Keeping fish requires spending money and a test kit is way up there in the got to have. (along with proper sized tank, filters, meds....) Even when fish are not sick the water needs to be tested on regularly just to make sure it is in good shape.

Oh, thanks for that advice, i'll take it to my local fish shop and spend it on a test kit.

I think you're missing a crucial point here, Pontosfan. Guessing without complete info can actually HARM your fish if the wrong medication or procedure is recommended.

Aquarium stores will almost always test water for free if you bring them a sample.

Thanks, Ranchudressing, I will ask around my local fish shops tomorrow.

I think Pontosfan just wanted suggestions as to what could be the problem with the symptoms given, not necessarily a full diagnosis yet as he can't afford a test kit. I think people need to be aware of the fact that most of us got into this hobby without any idea of how much it would all cost, and had to adjust accordingly, and some of us are just not as well off as others. So people need to be sensitive to that. Just sayin' as a person with low cash flow that cares a lot about the welfare of her fish :)

I totally understand what it is like to have no cash...believe me! And fish are expensive no doubt.

I have gone through the experience of having no test kits and my way of handling that is to just do daily 25% water changes. That way if something is happening in the water, but you don't know what it can give you some assurance that at least they are getting daily freshwater.

And even Pet*smart will test your water for you. Just make sure that you ask for the exact numbers and you can post them here.

White poop is usually indicitive of stress or can be a bacterial infection, but without knowing what is happening in the water it is hard to say. A good thing you can do while waiting to get more information is water changes a few days of feeding peas.

Hi Pontosfan, don't worry all is not lost yet. White trailing poo is no big deal!. It can mean a few things: fish not eating well, stress, parasite or bacteria. Since you said you do not have any test kits, right?. How about try these: 1) do a daily 50% Water change. 2) add aqua salt to 0.2% 3) up temp to 78 F 4) feed only 1 pea for 2 days and see whether the poo color changes. One thing at the time, as long as your fish is eating then you don't have to worry.smile.gif

Thank you to those who gave such great advice and to lizz87 who put into to words what I was too frustrated to do last night.

Do I need any special kind of peas? Won't daily water changes stress them out more? That has always been my experience.

I've stayed up pretty much all night watching them (i think i fell asleep for about an hour) but so far, no more white poop although I did note some almost clear poop from my pearlscale and a blob of boop connected to another blob by a thin strand from my telescope.

You should use frozen peas because the canned ones contain too much sugar. I just run them under warm water for a while until they are de-thawed, and then peel off the outer skin. Then you can pinch smaller pieces off so it will fit in the fish's mouths.

Water changes don't stress the fish out at all as long as:

- the water is temperature and pH matched. P.S. Do you at least have a pH test kit? Even if you don't and the pH is different from tank to tap, very small water changes (25%) daily should not affect the pH too drastically.

- you minimize sloshing the water around while changing it and add back the new water slowly.

Edited by Sakura

Thank you to those who gave such great advice and to lizz87 who put into to words what I was too frustrated to do last night.

Do I need any special kind of peas? Won't daily water changes stress them out more? That has always been my experience.

I've stayed up pretty much all night watching them (i think i fell asleep for about an hour) but so far, no more white poop although I did note some almost clear poop from my pearlscale and a blob of boop connected to another blob by a thin strand from my telescope.

Just plain frozen or fresh one will do. Daily 50% w/c (with conditioner) will not stress your that much as to harm them, don't worry.biggrin.gif

Your welcome

Yes petsmart well test with the strips here where I live. Bets nothings. I even go from time to time just to make sure my home test kits have not gone bad like one of them did one time.

Good luck hope it all works out.

PS I bend over backwords to be nice to you. I can not help it you don't like the advice but it is the same advice I would give anyone meant to help you and your fish. I am not one of those people that is going to tell you what you want to hear but I well advice you with what you need to hear.

Thanks all of you that said the same thing only in better words.

Every chain store I've ever been to tested my water samples with strips. At the end of the day I was about ready to cry!

I found a widdle mom and pop store, with a literal mom and pop to go along, and they, despite some unwanted advice giving, tested my water with drops.

Try to find a friendly family owned fish or pet store to test your water if you've got one.

On Petmountain.com, you can get the API Master Test Kit for like, 18 bucks. That said, it's 6.99 flat rate shipping and they ship sloooow. So unless I want to buy more than one thing, and have time to wait for it to get here, it is kinda frustrating.

But I'm a major penny pincher, so the discounts are hard to resist.

Keep us posted on your fishies! I wish you luck!

If you can't manage to get to a store that does drop tests, what you could do if you had the money is buy one kit at a time, as the funds come in. Thats what I did, starting with Ammonia and then nitrites. Spreading them out made it a bit easier and the process of elimination is easier if you have one rather than none. That's my only suggestion I'm afraid :S hope your fishy gets better.

Hidr,

It is not helpful, or nice, to offer no help other than to tell someone to buy a test kit when they have already stated that they can't afford one. It would be more helpful, to recognise that this person is trying their best in the circumstances and to suggest alternatives that may help eg. small frequent water changes until they can afford the necessary kits. I understand that test kits are very important, and that you are just saying what you think is needed here, but there are more tactful and helpful ways to go about it. As I said before, all of us started out with good intentions but little knowledge to the importance of water testing etc, I'm sure you did too.

Lizz87, I think everyone has their own way of helping. And I do agree it is important to help the fish with what is at hand rather than not help at all, but guessing isn't all that helpful either and that is all Hidr was suggesting. And on the same hand when I was first starting out it wouldn't have been any help to me at all if people like Hidr didn't impress the importance of having certain fish keeping items. I live on a very restricted income, so I needed the "must haves" laid out for me.

What a day! I went to the fish shop today for some advice. I told him my problem and he said it was constipation some live daphnia (sp?) would help (extra fibre) and i bought two bags for just 90p! He then reccomended a anti-bacterial medicine which he said wouldn't be harmful, even if the fish was ok, he described it as a "just-in-case" medicine. lol. But the best bit was, he gave me a "Tetra Test 6-in-1", worth ?13, for free!!! :D So i went home, fed them the daphnia which was really fun to watch. Later, i did a 50% water change and tested.

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? Sorry, don't know.

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 25

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? pH:7.2, KH:6, GH:16

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? Don't know.

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Tetra Test 6-in-1, strips.

[*]Water temperature? 22 C

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? Not sure about Gals, but i know it's 80L and it's been running about 3-4 years.

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Fluval 3 Plus

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? Normally about once a month, but it's been just two or three weeks since the last one and I've been using Tetra Easy Balance. I do a 50% water change.

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 small goldies (the biggest being not even 2 inches long) and 5 danios.

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? as mentioned above i use Easy Balance and I use API Stress Coat Plus: Fish and Tap Water Conditioner.

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? I feed my fish Hikari Oranda Gold (Floating type). Recently I tried blood worm as a treat which was sort of around when all this started. Coincidence?

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? no

[*]Any medications added to the tank? not yet

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? I thought i saw a vein in Pontos' tail, but now when i look i don't, so maybe i was so expecting to see something i did? I dunno.

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Dizzy, the fish in question, has been showing some lethargy.

After the water change they've all seemed much more active, including Dizzy. Although, i've just looked now and he does have a little bit of poo sticking out of him, but not white, just brown.

That is some good news. The test strips are not as reliable, but I think it's better than nothing at all if you absolutely can't get the drop kit. Maybe you can pick up an ammonia drop kit separately sometime and you will be all set. I think those are only around $5. Be very careful about the anti-bacterial med though, most of the time they will kill off some beneficial bacteria and you will see a cycle bump. They can also be harsh on the fish, even if the pet store employee didn't think so. I used to be a pet store employee and I saw first hand that most of the advice employees gave about goldfish was not correct. They normally know their stuff when it comes to tropical fish, but rarely ever when it comes to goldfish. Goldfish are far different and much more sensitive than most tropicals. I personally would advise against using the anti-bacterial product (what is it called?) until you have ruled out constipation as an issue first. If the daphnia doesn't work remember to try peas! :)

Should I starve them for a few days and then try peas? Or just try peas tomorrow morning? I'm thinking more and more it may be constipation as i've just seen him shaking, as if he was trying to squeeze something out.

your tank seems well cycled. it could be just some stress poop because of high nitrates. maybe try more frequent water changes so you keep the nitrates lower than 5-10ish. peas will clean his system, you can feed them and see how long it takes them to poop alien green poop = then you know how good their digestive system is. (you have to either microwave the peas a bit or let them soak in some hot water so they get nice and soft, then you take away the shells, mush them a bit and feed)

I would wait with the meds until you have tried a few weeks with clean water+peas.

good luck

For constipation, yes you should not feed them for three days and then on the fourth day give them a meal of peas. Make sure not to overdo it too much with the peas. If that doesn't help then you can get epsom salt (sold for cheap at grocery stores) and put one small grain of that in a pea and feed them the pea.

But the shaking thing worries me. Can you describe the shaking? Do they shake and then knock themselves into things as if trying to scrape something off? That could be indicative of parasites. If they do have parasites, they would likely have white poo like that also. Any chance you can get a video of the shaking?