Sign in to follow this  
RanchuDressing

Ranchu Fading Fast

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 0 (huge water changes)

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 8.2

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 8.3

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops

[*]Water temperature? 77 (steady w/ heater)

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 46 gallons, 1 year

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

Two Rena FilStar XP1s, 250 gph each

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? Weekly, 80-85%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 4. One 4-inch ranchu, Two 3.5-inch ranchus, 1 3-inch Tele

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Pro-Gold, GFC spirulina flakes, peas. Occasionally frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp.

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? No

[*]Any medications added to the tank? Not yet

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? One ranchu, Cheddar, has two sores on the left side of his body, but I'm fairly certain these are unrelated to Chunk's condition and are a result of biting/nipping from my telescope. In addition to bottom sitting, Chunk has long, wide, flat white/clear poo.

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Bottom sitting 99% of the time. Not eating for 3 days. Breathing a bit heavily. Long wide flat white/clear poo. Appears fine otherwise (although his wen is looking a little ratty today).

I'm really stumped as to what could be wrong with Chunk, my big red ranchu. I noticed some white stringy poop in the tank last week, but didn't know who it belonged to. Now Chunk is bottom-sitting constantly, refusing to eat for the last 3 days, and has long, wide, flat white/clear poo trailing behind him all the time. No dropsy (scales and slime coat look fine).

Chunk was QT'd with Prazi and salt when he was new (about 6 months ago?). I added Prazi to the tank Friday night, because all I could think of for bottom-sitting and white poo was flukes. No change in Chunk (it's now Monday morning). I couldn't even get him to eat frozen bloodworms, which usually make him go nuts.

I'm really afraid I'm going to lose him. sad.gif

My white ranchu, Cheddar, has two sores on his left side that I think are unrelated and caused by my telescope, Archie, chasing and nipping. Archie's been moved more than a couple times due to this behavior with other fish in the past. Bully. I might have to find another situation for Archie.

Ideas? Chunk is the "big guy" in my tank and I'll be really gutted if he doesn't recover.

Edited by RanchuDressing

oh hun. i'm sorry to hear about big chunk.. i hope things aren't serious and he makes a full recovery.. big support hugs your way.. :heart

Poor chunk :( I have no ideas, just wanted to offer support.

Awww no! I have no real ideas either...but maybe pictures? The not eating and the poop sounds like there might be a bacterial problem internally to me and if I'd tried everything else I'd be inclined to go for a medicated food, but I'm not sure which. I would get MM's and Jungle in as a just incase if you can afford it and hold off til a mod gives you the thumbs up. Is his tummy mushy in comparison to Salem's (as he's not having problems) when you gently run your finger over it? If he's stressing about being handled then don't bother trying this, the stress might do more harm.

Have you tried salting him and soaking his normal food in garlic to entice him to eat? I would also get Archie out of there...bullies will pick on the weaker fish, and at the moment that's Chunk. You also don't want further damage done to Cheddar, that'll open him up to infection. Fingers crossed a mod will be along soon.

Edited by devilduck

...if I'd tried everything else I'd be inclined to go for a medicated food, but I'm not sure which.

I would totally feed MM's or MediGold if he was eating, but he won't even LOOK at the food, unfortunately. I haven't tried garlic, but if he's not tempted by frozen bloodworms, I doubt the garlic will help -- he's a bloodworm MANIAC. But still, I'm willing to try anything at this point, so I'll give garlic a try.

pictures please.

this is going to help out Imo or another Mod who stops in. If he isn't eating water meds or injections could be the next step, emphasis on could.

I am so sorry about poor Chunk and Cheddar! I agree with everything Devilduck has said and I want to send you lots of love and support for them :heart

Hey RD, something that stood out to me is the long wide flat white poos. It sounds like the description of a tapeworm, which I know that goldfish can have. Something to think about...

They always have a 'head' on them like the one in this photo (of course this photo is larger than real life):

tapeworm1.jpg

pictures please.

I can take some, but there's absolutely nothing to see. He appears perfectly normal but is sitting on the bottom. I'm stumped.

Hey RD, something that stood out to me is the long wide flat white poos. It sounds like the description of a tapeworm, which I know that goldfish can have.

He's been pooping the white/clear wide flat stuff for a couple days, so if there was a head, it's long gone. Other than the head, it DOES look remarkably like that photo -- I hadn't even thought of that, so thank you! Prazi is supposed to treat tapeworms, right? I dosed with Prazi Friday night. Hopefully a mod can tell me whether I should dose it daily, or every other day, or on a different schedule for tapeworm.

Jungle Anti Parasite also has prazi in it and might be the better option, I'm not sure how much good a waterbourne med would be if it is internal worms.

Yeah if it's tapeworms (or other internal parasite) I also think that Jungle AP food is your best bet. :bingo: Have you tried PMing Imo yet?

Those are great suggestions, but unfortunately he's not eating. I would LOVE to give him an internal wormer, but getting him to eat it is problematic. undecided.gif

Imo's several time zones different, so she usually comes on just about when I'm leaving work for the day. If I don't her from her by then, I'll PM her.

Oh no, I didn't realize he's not eating! That definitely makes this harder. :( Well this is totally just me, but I would PM Imo right away just in case she is online later but misses this thread.

That was a great idea, Sakura. I just sent Imo a PM and hopefully she'll have time to stop in and help later today.

I'm SO worried about Chunk. He's such an awesome fish, really the star of the tank. Here he is before he started feeling crummy:

newguy4.jpg

I don't think it would do any harm to any of the fish to add prazi to the tank and bring the salt up to 0.1%, we do that anyway for QT even if the fish looks healthy and he definitely needs something...

Hey RD,when was your last w/c? Do you have plants?

Last water change was Friday (Chunk was already bottom-sitting by then). My nitrates are always 0 because I do such big w/c's.

No real plants. Just artificial ones. I haven't introduced anything new to the tank in ages, decor or food or otherwise.

Wow! Your trates are always 0 ????????????? What about just before a w/c? Mine don't even get down to 5 after a big w/c !!!!!!!!!!!! I'm wondering if w/ 0 nitrates,it couldn't be something w/ your cycle? I'm just thinking out loud,here :yeah:

Usually still 0 right before a w/c, but sometimes 5-ish if I'm a couple days late. Ammonia and nitrites are always 0 too -- never have a trace of 'em.

Dang!!!!!!!!! Are you in So.Cal.? My water is so bad here in the SanDiego area,I have to use r/o!

:oops: Sorry,I did not mean to hijack your thread :doh11:

sorry, thought I read he had red markings on his belly. I must be getting threads mixed up. :doh11:

I'm in NorCal -- the area I'm in is known for having good tap water. Steady pH of 8.2-ish, no ammonia. Never smells bleach-y, either.

I found a discus forum (by searching for PraziPro + tapeworms) where somebody used it in the water and their discus all started pooping out tapes. So MAYBE, if this is a tapeworm, water treatment will be sufficient. I sure hope so. I can't wait to get home from work and see how Chunk's doing.

Fingers crossed for all of you :heart:goodluck

I am totally not sure, BUT I believe what is really good for tape worms is something called Tamisole. It is made from Levamisole phosphate. You might want to check it out. It is said to be an 'effective dewormer' and it apparently is mild and doesn't affect the cycle. I am not sure if it is better or not than Prazi for tapeworms... Just thought I would mention it. It sucks he doesn't eat, Jungle would have been great for him!

Oh No Not Chunk :( I do hope you find out what's going on with him asap!!Sorry I can't offer any advise but what CFG and the Others have suggested sounds like a great place to start!!Is he in qt for pending treatment and to get a break from Archie (bad nipper :() now,or do you think you will have to treat the whole tank??Please keep us posted,my fingers and fins are all crossed for you and your Chunk :)