A Question About Tetras

Sorry if this is a dumb question, or if it's been asked a million times. I know tetras need a school, but does it have to be the same type of tetras? Will cardinals school with neons or does it need to be a large group of one type?

I think they just need to be somewhat alike. Exmple I dont think neon and flame tetras would work they are nothing alike.

Does that make since?

That makes total sense; I've seen some very rounded tetras that would not swim like the zippy little cardinals at all. Kind of like comparing a pearlscale and a comet; same type of fish, but completely different.

My neons didn't school with the glowlights I briefly had.

I have heard of neons and cardinals schooling, but they look so similar why not get just a larger school of one kind?

This doesn't have much to do with your question but as a curiousity I have one glofish left (zebra danio) and he schools with my hatchetfish (a type of tetra). He actually hangs with them and keeps them moving around--it's really cute!

Hiya BB...I have a bunch of Tetras in my tropical tank. The only different Tetras that will school together in my Tetra tank are the Neons and the Cardinals. The others keep amongst themselves.

-Dennis

the 2nd school will most probably school with the first. I had 10neons and 10 green neons and they all schooled together. I think Neons and Cardinals would look awesome!

Tetras will group together only when they feel insecure however so if they are pretty comfortable in their environment, I would not expect too much that they'll swim around together. Neons and cardinals are almost similar and will still group together.