Driftwood

I REALLY want to put a HUGE piece of driftwood in my new tank with some anubias and java ferns attached to it.

However, I am quite afraid of the health risks to the goldies.

I would love to hear some Pros and Cons about this. And also, if anyone has found a good way to prevent bacteria forming on the wood (like taking it out once a week and drying it etc).

Thanx a bunch!

I have driftwood in my goldie tank. I have had no issues with it at all. I have two anubias tied to it, I also have 2 what I would call chunk pieces that are just kind of decoration. I think it looks more natural. Oh yeah, and they have been in the tank for about 8 months now.

One important thing to watch out for when you add the driftwoord (or any other thing for that matter) to your tank, is that it doesn't have any sharp edges or any small openings that your goldies might try to swim through. Apart from that, I'd suggest that you let the driftwood soak a while in a separate bucket or something: driftwood straight from the shop can contain some tanines or other colouring agents that will 'leak' out of it in the first few weeks that it's in water. They're not necessarily harmful to your fish, but I'd prefer to err on the safe side for this one.

For the bacteria, I have no idea. I'd think drying wouldn't really affect them (enough) though. The most effective treatment in that respect would be PP. But I don't really know if typical driftwoord accumulated bacteria all that easy. Hopeful some other people are better informed about this :).

Thanx guys. In the beginning I had gotten a nice chunck of Mopani wood, but while i was keeping it in the bucket it kept getting mold/slime on it. So it went in the turtle tank, and I wash it every week tho.

I will check for some driftwood and soak/ boil it until it doesn't leak anymore. I still need to find a way to clean it, I don't trust the wood just staying in there...

I also have a piece of driftwood in my goldies tank, and also some chunks that look like rocks but are driftwood. Being the newbie when I added them in two years ago, I just rinsed them and plopped them in my tank. Which resulted in lovely tan water for a little while. :rolleyes: It didn't affect the fish or my water quality otherwise my amano shrimp would've gotten sick, but everyone was fine. I'll be honest the first year I never ever took it out or moved it. I had no idea what could happen under there. Now I vacuum every week under it but I only rinse it every couple of months or so. It is covered in algae and I don't want to kill it, my fish and shrimps love that algae bar. :D I do however use a turkey baster to blow any junk off of it every week.

• 2 months later...

I have had quite a lot of driftwood in my tank for a while now, with no problems. I've never got any slime or algae on any of it, but I do have a BN pleco. Just make sure to soak or boil it until all the tannins are out (as far as I know it's more of an aesthetic problem than anything else) and that any sharp edges are sanded down.

• 1 month later...