Efficient Way To Cycle?

Locke

I'm considering picking up a 30 gallon tomorrow. I have thoughts about the best way to go about cycling the tank.

The first way involves me moving one of the filters on my current set up, to the 30 gallon permanently. And replacing that filter, with the same type, on my 80 gallon. Allowing the old media to start the cycle on the new tank.

The second idea involves putting the new filter on the new tank. But using the 80 gallons tank water as media to cycle the new tank.

I figure both methods will work. Just wondering which method would be best.

:D

Edited by Locke

I think moving the filter-as long as you are leaving 1-from the 80g. I say this b/c it is my understanding that the bb do not live in the water-they are found on surfaces-thus the need for filter bioballs and floss. What is your fish arrangement going to be-how many in each tank? You need to be careful of a cycle bump in the 80g once you move a filter.

I think moving the filter-as long as you are leaving 1-from the 80g. I say this b/c it is my understanding that the bb do not live in the water-they are found on surfaces-thus the need for filter bioballs and floss. What is your fish arrangement going to be-how many in each tank? You need to be careful of a cycle bump in the 80g once you move a filter.

I was considering moving Vader to the 30, as she is consistantly harassed by the males in the 80. Plus one other fish, so she's not alone. Likely Rhody, as he never bothers her (possibly because he's a she).

So likely two in the 30, and 5 in the 80.

Also, I believe that to be correct as well. I'm just thinking the water, as a natural source of ammonia, to start the cycle.

But I'm thinking I will likely just do the filter media transfer.

Edited by Locke

I don't think that will make a diff b/c,hopefully there is no ammo in the water :exactly All those little bbs you've got going in your established filter are taking care of that :bingo: All you need is the new ammo source-ie your 2 fish-to keep the cycle going that you move over. But def keep an eye on params-you might need to do a few w/cs after moving a filter. If you're adding a new filter to the 80g anyway,I think I would move 1/2 of the media over to the new 1,then fill the remainder of the 2 of them both w/ new media-I think they will colonize faster.

i actually dont see anything wrong with the filter change, using the old one, and using some water. i did that for my 55, and it worked wonderfully. no issues what so ever. i have actually had tons of luck with my cycles so i dunno. xD things just work out thank god.

If you're adding a new filter to the 80g anyway,I think I would move 1/2 of the media over to the new 1,then fill the remainder of the 2 of them both w/ new media-I think they will colonize faster.

My thoughts exactly! :bingo: