Does This Look Like An Oranda To You?

oeyjay143

I was told that this is a redcap oranda. And it does look like it has a very thin wen at this time(probably because its young) but it has a pointy nose... Should they have pointy noses? Does it get less pointy after the wen develops?

To me this fish looks more like a fantail because of the back arch. If it were a redcap oranda it would usually have just a red head and the rest of the body would be white.

It's still probably not a redcap oranda, the body just looks too different. maybe give him some time to grow up and then see. It could be one of those crosses. Do you have any pictures of the wen close up?

It's still probably not a redcap oranda, the body just looks too different. maybe give him some time to grow up and then see. It could be one of those crosses. Do you have any pictures of the wen close up?

no, my camera is not that good.

Give it some time to grow up, so you can see how the rest of the body develops. I think it could be an oranda, but not a "red cap" oranda. As stated before, red cap normally refers to a mostly to all white fish with a red wen. Orandas can be bred with a higher back, but its more typical of a well bred specimen from the Chinese Straits or Taiwan. Some different picture angle my help distinguish possible wen growth.

Nicely shaped fish, though. :)

I agree, I don't think it's a 'red cap' oranda since those need to have an all white body with a bright red wen. But I do think it could easily be a young oranda. Young goldfish's body shapes change so much as they grow, it's very tough to tell how they will turn out when they are still so young.

I agree, I don't think it's a 'red cap' oranda since those need to have an all white body with a bright red wen. But I do think it could easily be a young oranda. Young goldfish's body shapes change so much as they grow, it's very tough to tell how they will turn out when they are still so young.

Im bad about buying "supposed" fish... I bought a "comet" and a "red-cap oranda" lucky me... lol oh well I like my fishes though! :)

Looks like an Oranda, definitely not a red cap though, as others have said. Should still turn into a very nice fish for you though.

I'm constantly correcting my LFS for mislabeling their fish.

I just got this one it is a very small red cap oranda...an you can see it still has the wen. they are in a 10 gallon display so you can see how small they are

100_2018.jpg