Sad Day .... Long Story

Angel1020

As you know Snotrod became ill very quickly. Rusty then fell ill immediately after and in looking back he was showing the same signs as Snotrod was. They both died yesterday, along with Clyde, my brand new fish, suddenly. Losing 3 fish in one day is torture. But losing two of your favorite fish in one day makes it even worse. Snotrod was the fish who survived it all! He was such a trooper! He was beautiful and my husband's favorite! Rusty (in my avatar pic) was just awesome and had such a laid back personality. He was a great little telescope. Clyde was brand new and I hadn't grown attached yet but he was going to be such an awesome fish.

Now I will admit I rushed the QT process when I brought Mac and Clyde home last week. They both went into QT into .3% salt (gradually of course). They were doing great and eating and showed no signs of any stress. They had been in the dark QT tank for 4 or 5 days and I grew impatient. Rookie move I know. So since they were looking so good I thought I would move them into the main tank. Immediately, and I mean IMMEDIATELY as in within 6 hours Rusty started bottom sitting. But he was a laid back fish so I thought, well, he does that sometimes and he will be ok. He has done it before and never got sick. But this time was different I guess. Then Snotrod started to get ill and just floated listless in the tank for awhile. But I was denial and was trying to justify my rushing of the QT process by thinking that I was just seeing the new fish get acclimated and the old fish were getting used to the new ones.

Rusty and Snotrod declined and went so fast that I barely had time to even try to save them (it's also been a very busy week for me so I couldn't give all my attention to them like they needed me to :cry1 ) Clyde is a mystery to me, as to why he died.

So last night I was angry... very very very angry. I lost two of the best fish ever and lost 3 total in ONE day. Clyde was set to be an awesome oranda too :( And I loved his name. Ugh. Anyway, I felt the pangs of wanting to give up or switch to saltwater or something. I have also sworn off EVER buying fish from my local Pet$mart again. Though, Mac is doing ok right now (the other new one from last week) but I'm not expecting things to go easy with him either. He and Clyde both had LONG LONG white stringy poop over this last week and I knew they were getting adjusted to their new diet. They all got fasted yesterday and got peas today. Though Clyde, Snotrod and Rusty died before they got the chance to eat their vegetables :( . (I do this once a week with all the fish though... fast one day, peas the next. ALL of the fish were doing really well on that... until Mac and Clyde go introduced)

This morning, after getting up and still feeling angry I walked over to check my tank and make sure my remaining fish were ok. Only 4 left. That is when I noticed Mac and Ironman yawning a few times. I can't remember what that means but I know that once in awhile it's ok. But seeing them both do it a couple times has me concerned. Also, I noticed that no water was being returned to the tank from my canister filter. So I opened the cabinet and looked underneath and it had stopped working!!!!

I panicked and grabbed the filter and it was HOT! I mean HOT! The water inside was not moving and it was about 110 degrees hot. I'm not kidding. I think the motor from the filter that was still running coupled with no water movement made it heat up! I quickly shut it off and took it apart and cleaned everything. When I opened the canister filter the stench was gross from the heat of the water and whatever mold or bacteria that had grown in there. I have no idea when the filter stopped working. It could have been days, it could have been hours. I honestly don't have a clue when it stopped. But I will say my last water params a few days ago showed nothing wrong. All params were in perfect range. I remember taking my small bio-wheel out for the QT a couple of times and seeing a slight ammonia jump in the main tank from the lack of filtration (even though it was still 10x filtration remaining). So, if my canister filter had been off for more than a day or two I'm thinking I would have seen an ammonia spike or something, right? Truthfully though, I hadn't tested in the last 2 days so maybe there was a spike yesterday or Friday.

Either way, since it stopped working is there a way that could have made my fish sick and die so fast? I don't know how that's possible if no water was being returned to the tank. Or maybe there was a very small amount being returned and I just couldn't tell??

Any ideas? Despite this GIANT setback (that I totally and completely blame on my post about having 5 perfect and happy fish a couple weeks ago.... because I'm superstitious and know how easily I jinx myself) I'm still moving forward and won't give up. But this one has hit me HARD. :(

• Supporter

Noooooooooooo Angel!! i'm so, so , so sorry this has happened to you.. after all that you've already been through. big bear hugs your way hun.. i can't explain what's happened and i'm sure a few experienced members will come along, but i read this and i wanted to tell you how sad for you and your fish i am for this horrible occurance :cry1 .

your quote "I'm still moving forward and won't give up" , good for you.. and we're with you every step of the way :heart

helen

I can't tell you how sorry I am for you, my sincerest condolences. :( That's quite a loss.

And under such strange circumstances. Perhaps it was caused by the canister filter. But the fact that you recently had fish added to your aquarium makes me suspicious. Most especially because they were from a petstore. Perhaps they had parasites? I really do hate the whole "pet" part of petstores. I only ever buy supplies from them. If you would be so willing to keep up with the goldie hobby (as in re-stocking whether now or sometime soon) you should consider supporting GC(goldfishconnection) or RG(rain garden) and purchase their goldfish. You can be assured of their health and quality then.

Edited by Kateana

Thank you Helen and Kateana. Your support means a lot to me. :heart

I am thinking it was a combination of my rushing the QT process and the filter mishap. But I'm just guessing there. And I still believe it's because I jinxed myself with such a happy post about the 5 healthy fish 2 weeks ago. Stupid me.

So, now my job is to make sure Batman, Wingo, Ironman and Mac stay healthy and alive. No more new fish for awhile until I can afford a RG or Goldfishconnection fish I guess. Though, there is another aquarium store I trust that I will buy from in the near future if we manage to get up that direction. It's about 45 minutes away.

Oh nooooo! Did u test the water when all this happened? I am pretty sure that such a tragedy in such a short time is most likely due to poor water quality. A broken filter wont help! Yikes do you know why it overheated? Also, adding 2 new fish at a time will have a major increase in your bioload, more waste, more bad bacteria to be broken down...

I did great in sanitiizing everything! If you have ornaments and gravel make sure you clean that off too!

How are the rest?

So so sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is having this happen all at once.. I've been there before myself..

One thing you can't do it think about the what if's.. (Easier said than done!).. Don't beat yourself up over "I should have Qted longer" or "what if I had checked the filter". I am the QUEEN of what ifs and ya know what. It gets you NOWHERE!. It's so sad, but learn from the experience and forgive yourself - don't be mad at yourself..

I am like you.. sooo superstitious when it comes to things like this. I won't even say things like "wow my fish are doing well!".. lol I know it's ridiculous to think that saying things MAKES bad things happen, but I swear it does!!!! Anytime I say something good has happened I feel like the universe is out to get me and makes something BAD happen..

Again, soo soo sorry. RIP little fishies.. :cry1

Now, let's move on to the remaining fish. Yawning can mean flukes. Have you ever used prazi? (I forget all the details from the other thread).

I have never used Prazi. I know there is a difference between Prazyi and PraziPro just from reading posts on here. Which is better?

Anyway, I am starting to think back and I'm wondering if the algae bloom could have made my fish sick. Did they get sick from eating it? Did they get sick after I brushed the insides of the tank to remove algae from the glass and maybe it started floating around the tank? The algae has subsided and in some parts it does look like it turned green from brown, so that's good, right?

Just this morning Mac's face looked wrinkled. For some reason, I can tell when my black moors aren't doing well because their black skin always gets wrinkled and looks dry or just unhealthy. But now, a few hours later Mac looks fine again. His dorsal fin was a bit torn when I got him so hopefully it will heal but other than that he looks ok now. I hope that means he will be on the mend.

Okay if you've never treated with prazi that's a must do. First step check all your water params again and post. If your params still look good you can begin the prazi when you have it. Normally a large water change is good before you dose. Maybe 50%?

As for the difference in the prazi's some is in powder form, some liquid. You get more for your money buying the powder but it can be a pain to mix up. With the liquid you pay more for less, but there is no mess mixing or little chunks of prazi floating around. I used to use the powder but lately use the liquid for convienience.

As for the algae, I don't think the algae ITSELF is harmful. Green algae is actually beneficial to fish. Some people go out of their way to get green water because it can help floaty fish. However, if there was a large build up because the tank hadn't been cleaned, it's possible that cleaning it stirred up not only the algae but bad bacteria and gunk as well.. I think the filter breaking could be playing a big part in this actually because without it running the water is some areas would be still. Still water is a breeding ground for bad bacteria. Any little nook or crevice where gunk can build up means the bad bacteria will thrive.

Now, have these fish ever been salted at 0.3%? If not that is another must..

I really hope you don't lose any more of your fish! That is just so so sad to lose so many.

:cry1

I just tested the water and the params are great:

Ammonia - 0

Nitrites - 0

Nitrates - btwn 5-10. The result was a bit ambiguous. Could have actually been 20 since the card shows 10 and 20 as being almost the exact same color. It was hard to tell.

pH - 8.0

Temp - 74

So everything was good AND the tank already has a .3% level of salt. I added the last dose yesterday morning before we left town.

Very sorry to hear the news Angel. Your parameters are fine, and Sue will walk you through treating with Prazi for flukes, best thing to do at this point. Best of luck to you and the rest of your bunch!

-Dennis

Oh My Gosh I am Soooo Sorry for all your Loss :( how horrible to have so much loss then to find the filter (why I do not like canisters) not working properly to boot :( I do hope you can recover this great loss and live and learn and move forever forward :)

I am so sad for you. It is terrible to experience one loss, but three in one day is beyond terrible. When a qt is shortened or skipped the best thing to do is to treat all the fish as if they haven't been qt'd before. For me that means four treatments of prazi and three weeks of .03% salt, but everyone handles QT differently.

I know how frustrating it is to have something go wrong and not know exactly what it was. Did your fish have any symptoms before going or did it seem suprisingly quick? I lean towards thinking the extra bioload with the broken filter probably affected the weaker fish. You may never know for sure, but the last thing you can do is beat yourself or throw in the towel. There is a learning curve to goldfish that I think is bigger than in most other types of fish.

Hang in there!

I am so sad for you. It is terrible to experience one loss, but three in one day is beyond terrible. When a qt is shortened or skipped the best thing to do is to treat all the fish as if they haven't been qt'd before.

Yes I totally agree!!! That is what I would do as well..

When Qting new fish I typically do at least two weeks of salt at 0.3% and I do prazi for a month.. I think everyone has a different method when using prazi and all of them work as long as it involves repeats treatments every few days. I used to use the 3-2-3 method where I dosed for 3 days in a row, then took 2 days off, then dosed 3 days in a row and repeated this thru the month. Then I switched to dosing every 2-3 days with a 50% water change before each dose for a month.

The bottles say one dose is enough, and they say that it lasts 7 days. But the product becomes inactive in the water after a few days so its better to redose every 2-3. And multiple treatments are a MUST.

How are the remaining fish doing today? Is everyone hanging in there?

**UPDATE**

My remaining four fish are doing very well. Even the new guy, Mac. Mac still has constipation issues but he is on a good diet now so I'm not worried and I'm sure they will pass. The tank has been at .3% salt for about a week now. No prazi because I haven't bought any yet. :(

I did a 50% water change yesterday and cleaned out the algae on the glass and my filter intakes. There is still enough on the rocks and in the filters themselves that I don't think I upset the beneficial bacteria. My tank is sparkling clean and the fish are well. So I'm happy. During the water change I added salt back in to keep it at .3% though. I'm giong to keep the tank salted for at least another week, if not longer.

Today they get PEAS!!! :)

Edited by Angel1020

Seems you are doing a great job Angel! :)

I would keep the salt 3 weeks, to be on the safe side. Make sure you keep testing the water as some bacteria aren't fond of salt. Then you can pick up with a month of praziquantel once the salt is done. :)