Tumor On Fish

My Calico Fantail recently has had this large white, red tumor thing come up on her right blow the fin on top her back. It has gotten bigger and this morning it is now an open tumor. I can't see anything coming out of it, but it is this white color. She is eating and swimming fine. I have prazi pro and didn't know if I should put that in to help or what. I am running late to a meeting and will update later on tank info... but this looks really bad. HELP!

• Supporter

hi there,

sorry to hear you are having probs with your fish :(

looking forward to the answers to the q's in the box above.. it may even be a cyst.. i have a fish which i nursed back to health that had a nasty bout of cysts.. thanks to the help from koko's he's totally cured but took about 2 months.. here is a pic of rocky's cyst to compare it with what you see.. it would also help that when you do post back with your answers that you post a picture of the problem too.. :)

here is a pic of the cyst not burst:

bumponfishb.jpg

here is a pic of the burst cyst:

rockycyst2.jpg

if you think that the tumor/cyst has burst in the tank, you need to quaranteen him immediately and do a HUGE waterchange to the main tank incase other fish are affected from whatever this problem is.

good luck, there will be more members along to help you once you've posted the answers to the questions above..

helen

Exactly! Whatever it is that 'burst' you need to protect the other fish from that bacteria.

Please try and get a picture. How old is you fish?

Do you have any hollow ornaments or gravel?

Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 10ppm

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 6.8-7.6 unclear

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? quick dip strips

[*]Water temperature? 76 degrees

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 10gal been running for forever

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? whisper tetra, size is for 10gal tanks

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? i change 25% once a week & 50% once a month

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? just one calico fantail

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? i use sea salt and then a every water change I give a fish conditioner to help it.

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? tetra flakes and peas... twice a day

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? no

[*]Any medications added to the tank? not yet

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? just the tumor i am writing about

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? swimming fine and eating really well

my fish is 3years old... i have gravel in the tank and a fake plant and a small bridge.

IMG_0837.jpg

IMG_0832.jpg

IMG_0837.jpg

That does look like a pretty big tumor. When you do a water change do you clean your gravel really well? I am also a bit worried about your PH. The test strips are notorious for not being correct. The liquid test kits are much better. Can you possibly take your water to a store and have it get tested. Make sure to get the actual numbers and let us know what they are.

When did the tumor pop up? Was it fairly quick or did it start slowly?

I do think a good start is a huge water change right now. Two 50% water changes back to back would work well to get the cyst junk out of your system. It sounds like your PH test is a bit off, but it is always smart to test the PH of your tap and make sure that and your temp is matched before a big change.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there. Sorry that you are having issues with your little guy!

That does indeed look very bad. But the good thing is that most tumors on the outside of goldfish that I have heard/read of are mostly harmless, and merely an aesthetic problem.

Amy has given you great advice. Please answer the questions she's posed, and take her advice regarding the large water change.

Do you have any Hydrogen Peroxide on hand? How about Potassium Permanganate?

Either one of those would do wonders on the end of a q-tip and applied ONCE to the tumor. They will help with secondary infection or parasitic problems.