Egg Bound I Think

kukana d

Hey guys,1 of my new Oranda is floaty, It began when I fed them ProGold,and got better when I stopped that. 1 of the reasons I put them out in the pond is that it is shallow,and I thought would help this.I have seen some of the others chase her bottom,and I'm wondering if she might be egg bound? Aren't there things you can do to make them release eggs if they are egg bound? Does anyone know what they are? When I just opened the pond,I thought she was dead b/c she was just hanging there,but then swam away :o

I would bring her inside and give her gentle heat (78 to 80) and feed her lots of greens. They help push everything out. Another thing you can do is bring her inside, and drop the heat about 5 degrees from the temperature in the pond. This should stimulate her to drop if she has anything in there.

Keep us posted!

I agree about the temp drop promoting dropping of eggs :) also have you tried walking her a little,using your hand when she's near the bottom try to gently guide her to the surface with your hand slowly ,sometimes this is enough to get her to expel her eggs,so I have heard ;) hope this helps :)

We really need a pinned thread regarding egg boundness or an article in the research section because this comes up all the time.

Epsom salts works as well, the dosage is low 1/8 teaspoon per gallon, I believe. It helps with constipation and egg bound females. I would try that after playing with temperature as Sarah advised. Also wait for mods before administering the salt. Stroking her belly can simulate breeding behavior and help release, just don't squeeze her belly.