Live Worms

2008paul

I've seen a vid where they say you can feed goldfish live worms. I'm just wondering how often you should feed them live worms and how many at a time?

Also, what ones are they? I'm looking on ebay but they all look to big for a goldfish.

Thanks

Paul

I don't feed live food. Both because I feel sorry for the worm, and because live food can bring lots of bacteria + parasites to the fish. The best thing is frozen foods, I feed my goldies frozen blood worms for example.

• Supporter

i feed live blood worms.. i get them from my LFS.. but, because of the potential health probs that CFG stated, i only feed them this on the day before a 50% water change. one week i will feed bloodworms and the other baby shrimp (live).

Earthworms are fine. Tubifex worms especially live ones, on the other hand, are an absolute nono. They carry parasites that can infect your fish.

My husband digs up earthworms for my fish from time to time. And we pick up wax worms at the insect place. They love those. But high in fat so they don't them often.

Not for some goldfish.... My oldest and biggest fish i ever had, could easily swallow one down.... He was about 8-9" long and was a pig :o

Mine are about 7CM - 8cm in size.

Ok to feed them land worms?

Usually you'll sanitize them by putting them in a box of clean dirt to help them clean off themselves and purge themselves of whatever they've already eaten so your fishies don't catch anything nasty.

• Admin

Also if you fish are small you can cut them up... i didnt like doing that so if my fish are small I wont feed them worms..... but where i live now I cant give worms just dont have the right stuff here and everything gets sprayed for weeds here, so i wont risk it now.... :(

i havent fed mine worms but i did feed them catterpillers once they loved them

i havent fed mine worms but i did feed them catterpillers once they loved them

Oh god!

A soon as I seen on that link it says 'Cut them up' that but me off so much. I could never cut any thing up like that I would feel so bad about it :(

Is they any other good things to feed goldfish other than landworms?

Thanks

Paul

I just wash them off throw them in. Never had a problem. But we don't use fertilizers or anything like that in our yard. Hubby keeps a bed of them going for fishing. And sometimes he just buys them and I feed a few of those to my goldfish and oscar.

What is funny is when they play tug a war with one. lol

funny, i just got back from the lfs with some worms.. i went for some krill but wanted to try the worms out.. i wish i got the krill.. they are earth worms. i think im so tough so i figured i could cut them, no prob. well i tried it and couldnt get it through all the way so i freaked and threw the worm in.. i figured they would peck at it .. oh no big momma, who can eat a whole salad supreme wafer in one bite, swallowed it but the tail was hanging out then spit it out with a bite taken out. so i was like todd, todd! come here get this worm out and cut it.. they all kept trying to swallow it whole. they were doing that tearing motion like sharks do on the bigger pieces. i love when i see them acting like wild animals, but i think im too squeamish to cut the worms up.. my b-i-l pulls them apart for fishing.. i wonder which is better.

Awhile back I put in an earthworm (had gravel at the time) and it went into the gravel!!!! Both the diligent goldies hunted him down & snatched him right up! Then they others chased the one that was swimming frantically trying to HOG the whole worm for himself! I thought it was pretty neat...they got dinner AND entertainment!

so is there a reason why you should not put a whole worm in. i would rather not have to cut it but im afraid the worm will try to crawl inside the fish.. lol i realize its impossible but it was pretty crazy to see big momma swallow a whole earthworm.

Pretty sure the ole' digestive process will take care of that worm! :yeah: Plus USUALLY if it is hanging out of one of the goldies mouth and "friend" will come along to try to steal it & a neat game of "tug 'o war" happens. That usually helps in the "sharing" process!

Edited by Jeana727

I have to cut up worms to feed my bullhead catfish and I always feel so bad for the worms. I even apologize to them and I try to make it quick. But that's life. All life involves some pain and eventually death. It's just hard when the pain and death are at your own hands. But the death of the worm feeds into the life of the fish, so it's not all bad. :)

I don't think there's any reason why you would need to feed your goldfish live worms, because there are plenty of other good food choices out there. But if you want to then there's no real compelling reason not to either I don't think. As long as they are from a good source.

Edited by Sakura

I have to cut up worms to feed my bullhead catfish and I always feel so bad for the worms. I even apologize to them and I try to make it quick. But that's life. All life involves some pain and eventually death. It's just hard when the pain and death are at your own hands. But the death of the worm feeds into the life of the fish, so it's not all bad. :)

I don't think there's any reason why you would need to feed your goldfish live worms, because there are plenty of other good food choices out there. But if you want to then there's no real compelling reason not to either I don't think. As long as they are from a good source.

Thanks you, very true.

I ain't got any good reason other than I want to find them something new and find out what they like the best.

I've already tryed them with chicken & peas.

Paul