Stocking Question

joiya

Hey guys. I have my red cap oranda, Mango, and my calico fantail, Jellybean, in a 40 gallon. Dimensions are 36.5x15.5x17.25 inches [got it at Octopuss Garden for 40 bucks!!!]. My mom mentioned that it's bad luck to have fish in even numbers, which is enough excuse for me to go and get another goldfish :lmao: But I'm wondering if the tank is already at max stocking capacity? The filter is for up to 50g tank, and fully cycled, and both occupants are pretty happy and healthy. I do have a tank I can set up to quarantine the new fish for a few weeks [bare bottom with some floating water sprites], but I'm worried :/

The new potential goldie I'm eyeing is a wenless [hopefully] pearlscale. I saw a pretty one a while ago at a local LFS, but most likely not there anymore. V.V

Three fish should be fine in a 40 gallon tank, but I'd say that would be as many as you could get for a tank that size. Do you know the gallons per hour that filter does? It needs to be at least 400, and if it's not you should get a second filter for the tank and lots of nice biomedia for it. Whether or not you get a second filter, it's sill a good idea to buy some more biomedia for the one you do have and add that because an added fish will require more space for bacteria to colonize.

Quarantining the new fish is an excellent idea, will you be treating the new one with salt and/or Prazi? You will also need to make sure the QT tank is cycled for the new fish :)

You could certainly fit in a 3rd fish in a 40 gallon. :) But you have to make sure your filter is doing strong enough. Most filters that say up to X gallons, aren't powerful enough for goldfish. You want 10x filtration, so in your case you want a filter that has at least 400 gph turn over.

Here is a link to a list of many filters and their gph:

http://www.kokosgold...ir-out-put-gph/

And in the happy event you do get a new goldie you really want to qt it at least 1 month minimum. :)

Edit: :oops: I type too slow. :D

Edited by caitie

Thank you! I was worried about overcrowding them - I want them to grow large and healthy and live as long as they can XD X.X Unfortunately my filter is only 200gph - ack~ That means it's time to go to the store and get another filter for them. Well, I do have a powerhead that's pretty powerful - 270gph. Any chance of converting that into a second filter for them? Or at least until I get the new fish and using the bio rings from the established filter in the new filter?

Edited by joiya

I would definitely get a second filter. That way when you clean them out you can stagger it so as to not upset your cycle. And by putting one filter at each end of the tank you also get water movement all over. :)

Well, a second filter is definitely in the stars. Now the only question is what kind? I found the same kind of HOB I have now, an Aquaclear 50 for 35 dollars with free shipping on amazon, but while that has worked well, would it be good to continue with the same filter, or go to a different type? Like a canister or internal?

I'm not a fan of internal filters, they take up too much space in the tank, Canisters I haven't used on any of my freshwater tanks although I know several members use them, I find them a pain when it comes time to clean them. Personally I'm a huge fan of Aquaclear I have them on all my tanks. They do a good job, easy to clean and last for years. :)

Aquaclears are good filters. Running two of those would probably work great on your tank. Canisters do turnover much more water and keep the water nice and crystal clear, but they are pricey and a bit more work. My advice would be to get the best you can afford now. In other words, don't wait on a canister for a few months...instead get the aquaclear now. But if you find a great deal on a canister, go for it! I have a forty gallon as well and run one aquaclear and one canister.

I wouldn't get an internal. They take up too much real estate in the tank. But that is my personal opinion only.

Yeah, I could push it a little and jump to an Eheim [dream filter *heart*], but for now I'm buying the Aquaclear 50 I found on amazon. Should be here in a few days - in the meantime I'm gonna set up the 10g quarantine tank and wait until the new filter gets here and jumpstart it with some biomedia from the old filter. After that's good, I'll use that filter in the quarentine and use tank water from my goldfish tank to help get it started. Maybe I'll run a bit of food in pantyhose to get the cycle started...

Me too - before we had tetra whispers >.< But after reading online for a couple weeks, decided the HOB with room for layers of different filtration would be better. I really love how easy it is to customize and add on extra layers in the Aquaclear <3 <3 <3

I agree with everyone else here...you can't go wrong with the AquaClears. I have five (currently running three) and no problems at all, they work like crazy! And the ability to swap or add media is a bonus.

-Dennis