Tank Size Question

Guest godienewbie

Guest godienewbie

Hi all,

I am thinking about getting some fantail goldfish, I have a 37gallon tank (30x12x22) saw a 40gallon breeder and a rectangular 56gallon (30x18x24)I know as I go up in size I can have more goldies, but I also want this to be their forever home. For the 37gallon can I do 3, and for the 40gallon breeder 4 and the 56gallon 4.

I would like some advice and feedback.

thanx

:exactly I think you estimated the amount of fish for each very well. In each case the fish would have plenty of space to have a great life. In the 56 gallon you could even have 5 IME. :) Edited by caitie

Hi all,

I am thinking about getting some fantail goldfish, I have a 37gallon tank (30x12x22) saw a 40gallon breeder and a rectangular 56gallon (30x18x24)I know as I go up in size I can have more goldies, but I also want this to be their forever home. For the 37gallon can I do 3, and for the 40gallon breeder 4 and the 56gallon 4.

I would like some advice and feedback.

thanx

I just went through a similar situation [like 5 minutes ago lol] and Koko members came to the rescue! Your measurements sound good - those fish will be happy :)

I woudl go with just 3 in the 40 gallon. You have a little wiggle room in the 37 with just 3 and the 56 with just 4. But 4 in the 40 gallon leaves you no wiggle room but 3 would.

Good luck

I agree with Hidr, it also depends on which 'type' of fancy you get, for example my Celestial will always remain a bit small, so there you can do 4 in a 40gallon. But Ryukins and Ranchus and Orandas become WALES! :rofl So there is it best to always keep one less fish incase you find yourself with a MobyDick!

good luck!

Sorry to hijack...But How about the Telescope Eye type? Do they tend to get huge (whale like)As I have 2 in each of my 20 gallon highs???I would hate to have one per tank as I would feel they would be so lonely :(

Yes they can get large. Had one many years ago that was over 8 inches. But most stay smaller I think.

Hendrix (Henry) Is only 5 inches and I have had him for over a year. Has not grown a lot but has changed colors.

Thanks Hidr smile.gif A quick question...So I have had my Boy Bubbles (black moor) just about a year now and he shares his tank with Blizz (white telescope) so how long do I have roughly before I will have to upgrade them to a 29 high tank do you think??I always thought Daniel has his 3 big beautiful goldfish in a 29 high tank, doesn't he??But I could be wrong... wink.gif just curious...would it be better to move my big guys in the 20 gallon long tank do you think??I was actually considering that for when we move next Saturday as I can set that one up as it's empty now smile.gif

Sorry again for the hijack sad.gif I forgot to add here's a new pic of their tank :)ctmpphpkDY9ST.jpg

Edited by shellbell4ever

Guest godienewbie

Thanks all for the quick response, I learned alot on this site prior to posting and your advice was much appreciated and affirmed what I've learned here, many thanks again.

My 37gallon is housing 5 angels at the moment. They are about the size of a silver dollar not including fins. I was thinking of moving their home to another room and probably getting the 56gallon for 4 fantails.