Test results for the following:

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate Level (Before and After WC's)?0 probably cause im changing 70% a day

Ph (in tank and out of tap)? 7.8

GH and KH? kh120 gh75

Tank Size? How long has it been running? How many gallons? 75 gallons/ 4 months

Name and size of your filters? 2 aquatechs 330 gph

How many fish in the tank? Their size? just her and she is 9 inches from head tip to tail tip

How often and how much water do you change?70% a day

Water additives or conditioners used?salt

What do you feed your fish?Omega normally but medigold right now

Any medications added to the tank? just medigold an salt

Any new fish added to the tank? When? no

Any new plants added to the tank? no

Well, city or RO water used for WC's? well water

I am not sure if it is an ulcer or maybe hole in the head under her? I rescued her from a petstore where she was being kept in a 30 gallon with like 20 other fish an was like an 8 inch fish from nose to tail. She had redstreaks an even big red blotches in her tail....those have cleared up but her wen in front she had a white dot that got worse...about a week an a half ago it looked red under the lip of wen I lifted her out with some qtips an peroxide an it looked like a bloody hole up under her wen! =( I QT her an have been salting an treating her with medigold that I got online but I have no local petstores for other meds but I am taking a road trip to find more tomorrow. She still eats like a pig but the bloody patch has worked its way thru an its all bloody but the bad part is under her wen I would have thought if it was hole in the head it would have started on top an worked its way in not from the inside out?? I have been changing the water 70% an salting to keep it extra clean. I take her out every other day an put a little peroxide on there an then last night I even tried getting some neosporin under her wen tip....it didnt stick to well. She doesnt act stressed an is still eating an pooing well. Here is a pic my camera doesnt take good enough shots to show under the wen lip

100_1880.jpg

Wow poor fish. :( That looks painful, I have no experience with wens but that looks like a bad ulcer. We'll bump this up so a mod will look in. Hang in there. :)

Thanks! I know I have seen ulcers, and hole in the head pics before but it always seems HIT started outside an ate its way in from poor water quality. I just dont know if it does with Orandas under the wen =/ an how the heck I treat it....she seems a real trooper her color an appetite are still good I just wanna cry looking at her because she had come soooo far from the petstore she has even grown a ton an put on weight an heck she even dropped eggs like 3 weeks ago?! I dont want her to suffer an it looks like it has to be painful but I dont want to lose her either!!!

I know it is always painful to watch when they are sick but remember that fish don't feel pain like we do. If she is still active and eating well she is probably not bothered too much by it. :heart

I got directions to The world of fish store in MN when we go to the koi show tomorrow I figure if there is anything that can treat it hopefully they have it I am just not sure WHAT to treat it with?? It seemed to get worse with me dabbing it with a qtip and peroxide but maybe me pushing at it is what brought the blood underneath to the surface? I thought salt in the water would help with healing also but today it just looked so much worse.

she has even grown a ton an put on weight

Dropping eggs (although it weakens fish) and growth is excellent news. Because it means she is happy and settled, important for healing.

As long as she has appetite you can beat this. Yes its an ulcer but because its in the wen you need Metro as well in case there is hexamita as well as ulcer bacteria.

You need to get Metromeds (from goldfishconnection.com) into her asap. It is so much the best antibiotic cocktail for this.

she has even grown a ton an put on weight

Dropping eggs (although it weakens fish) and growth is excellent news. Because it means she is happy and settled, important for healing.

As long as she has appetite you can beat this. Yes its an ulcer but because its in the wen you need Metro as well in case there is hexamita as well as ulcer bacteria.

You need to get Metromeds (from goldfishconnection.com) into her asap. It is so much the best antibiotic cocktail for this.

Thats where I got my med food but it says Medi-Gold...it was under meds with prazi on goldfishconnection...it was the only kind I saw?? it says sulfadimethoxine and ormetorpim sulfa? I didnt see any other kind?

Gah I just looked an i didnt scroll down far enough I just ordered them now should I give the medigold till I get the metro meds?? =( this sucks!

Is she already on the medigold?

yea about 3 days now i didnt know there was a difference between medigold an metro meds my screw up :doh11:

Easy mistake to make. The thing is...shouldnt really stop half way through an antibiotic course. It can make bacteria stronger which you dont want right now. What is the minimum course for the medigold? I would consider finishing that and then if not healed move to the MMs.

Easy mistake to make. The thing is...shouldnt really stop half way through an antibiotic course. It can make bacteria stronger which you dont want right now. What is the minimum course for the medigold? I would consider finishing that and then if not healed move to the MMs.

She just started breathing with her mouth super wide open i did my second WC of the day an

added a bubble stick but I have a feeling it isnt lack of air =(

Im so sorry. How much salt do you have in there now? It really helps the fish osmoregulate when they have an open wound or ulcer like this.

Im so sorry. How much salt do you have in there now? It really helps the fish osmoregulate when they have an open wound or ulcer like this.

1tsp per gallon was what I have always done I tried to find on the website must pretty much everyone says the salinity %

Edited by lwebe10

I just wish I had seen it or knew its been just a white circle under her wen I noticed shortly after I got her I thought possibly a tumor but not until it erupted like this did I have any idea how bad it was.it just looked like a big white pimple rising up under the surface of her wen until i think I agravated it open when I pulled her out an qtiped under the lip with some peroxide

The percentage can be remembered like this: 1 level teaspoon per US gallon = 0.1% salinity.

2 level teaspoons per US gallon = 0.2% salinity ..etc.

I think I would do 0.2%. Stick with the daily partial water changes to clear any build up of shedding freewheeling bacteria.

Feed the med food.

The extra bubblewand was a great idea and will help a lot.

I really cant think what else you can do here since you have also swabbed once and once is enough.

Good luck with your fish, and keep us posted. :heart

I unfortunately have had a lot of experience with wen ulcers and I just want to second what Imo said. Don't take her out to swab anymore. At some point too much swabbing won't allow the area to heal and it does need to take time to heal. Keep the water spotless and make sure she has enough oxygen. She is a beautiful fish and she must be huge! I love seeing fish that make it to a wonderful large adult size.

I also noticed that she was in a net. Nets can be a huge mess bacterially, so if you can only mover her with a container instead of a net that will help as well. Also, these ulcers can be pretty contagious so make certain that you are keeping everything for her seperate from any other fish and tanks. Hang in there!

Edited by amynmitchell

I quit taking her out to qtip swab her an she seems to be less stressed an is breathing easier....I also built a new filter for my 124 so I could move one of my big filters from there on so I am now cycling about 800 gallons an hour instead of 600...I do have her totally separate in a 75. I dont know if she is eating since this medigold practically disolves but she was still pooing as of yesterday so thats a good sign. Doing another WC today an will bump up the salt she is still swimming around an not bottom sitting all the time but she does seem a little more lethargic. But she is definately breathing more normally today!!

I'm glad she seems to be feeling a little better...that is good news.

I'm so happy to hear this. If she is not bottom sitting all the time and breathing better it is always a positve sign. :) I hope she continues to improve for you. How does the ulcer look now?

She passed =( well atleast her few months with us were much better then being crammed into a small over crowded tank for a long time she was 130 dollars because she was like 8 inches then so no one wanted to buy her until I felt so sorry for her an she was getting scrawny had huge blood streaks. But I am not sorry she had a better life for atleast a little while.

very sorry Iwebe10 :rip:

I'm so sorry :( May she rest in peace.

I am sorry. She was a beautiful fish. You did a kind thing in giving her a better life, however short it was.