Sign in to follow this  
Captain Findus Goldfish

This Is Upsetting...

So I have just fed the big guys some Saki Hikari now they are: one swimming upside-down, another is floating on his side, and one is gulping... I am so sick of this ridiculousness... They are going to be fine in a few hrs, but seeing them like this is upsetting.

So far, the only thing I have found that doesn't make them float are broccoli..... Even peas cause floating in these guys.....

PLEASE, any genius remedies are SO welcome!

Making them a batch of gel food tomorrow.

I was going to suggest Gel food. i had fish along time ago that the only food that didnt cause floats was home made gel food :(

Great... Going to make one batch per week then, I don't like freezing it. But they look soooo pathetic like this it breaks my heart, especially the one swimming upside down.... He is trying to hard to right himself......ins there anything I can do for them now?

Oh and yesterday I fed them frozen bloodworms and that also seemed to go well...

aww :( Sorry to hear your having so many issues lately,I haven't gone the gel food way yet but hear good thing about it all the time,I do however pre soak all my fish foods and have since the beginning(thanks to finding koko's) and have not had a floater(knocks on wood ;))yet :) I hope the gel foods do the trick for you and your babies :)

I once had a ranchu who would float horribly if given anything other than fresh or fresh-frozen foods. He could handle frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, seaweed, etc. But he couldn't have ANY pellets or processed food without bobbing at the surface like a cork for at least 12 hours.

You might want to try making an "all fresh" gel food -- don't add any pellets or processed food. My ranchu did OK on gel food made with garden vegetable baby food and a little frozen daphnia for flavor. Very smooth, no lumps. And no floating either!

Thanx guys. I was thinking of making the first batch mostly like a baby vegetable pur?e. I might just add some sardines or something for the stink. How often can I give them fruit? Last time they really enjoyed my tropical gel food with mango hehe.

My friend today was asking if I fed artemia, which I don't, he has a little 'breeding machine' for it, would this be good for them?

I would do right now dont feed for 2-3 days, then feed the gel food. :) Is your Nitrates below 20?

My friend today was asking if I fed artemia, which I don't, he has a little 'breeding machine' for it, would this be good for them?

Artemia are brine shrimp, which aren't the most nutritious thing our goldfish can eat -- but they DO love it. I'd stay away from it for now until you get a handle on the floating issue. Live brine shrimp might be too rich for your floater.

Okey thanx! Yea I will be fasting them for now!

Yea the water is fine, it was the first thing I checked hehe

Hey Federica, I do the same thing as Shell. I feed dried foods however I do pre-soak them so they sink immediately to the bottom. I've noticed that one of mine will get floaty if she feeds at the top and gulps down extra air, where if she feeds from the bottom she's fine. Hope it works out for you! ;)

-Dennis

Yea I tried the soaking, it doesn't really help. It seems that most commercial foods make them float! I did just receive my ProGold, should I try that?

I sure would....most have recommended it first and foremost and it just may help! I think Susan said it made her one telescopes flip. Here's a link to where most have mentioned the ProGold....see what you think.

-Dennis

Sinking Pellets

that's strange the saki-hikari was floating and did not sink to the bottom...or maybe I misread this? anyway, there are a few members who also have a problem w/ progold making their fish float. I say don't spend anymore money on pellets, just make your own gel food. some goldfish, more and more it seems, have issues w/ any processed food. perhaps it's allergies, idk, but I think the best route for you is the gel food. also add in some L. acidophilus to the recipe, I found mine at a health food/vitamin shop place. The L. acidophilus is the same as probiotics and lactobacter. This is the kind of thing in yogurt btw that helps our digestive tracts (think activia).

quote from Imo

The GI tract produces bacteria that cause gas when they digest certain foods and lactobacter competes with these unwanted bacteria in a process known as antibiosis -fighting for space and food- and so may inhibit growth of the unwanted gassy bacteria.

edit ooooooops! I just re-read your last post and it says you just received the progold and I thought it said you were thinking of buying it. sorry :doh11:

at any rate, you can always try adding in the pellets to the gel food...idk, kind of a big kitchen experiment may be needed until you find what works best

Edited by Martha

It is true that ALL fish have different feeding issues. While some do great on one kind others do not which is why recommending your fave to someone is such a big controversial arena :D My fish flipped with gelfood :o mind you I may well have not got the whole balance of ingredients right. Also I am wondering WHICH packet of Saki Hikari you used? There are several kinds and ONLY one (its a purple pack here in Japan) contains the ALL important probiotics that will stop floatiness. the Green pack for example makes a few of my fish floaty...

The main thing with floaty fish is to get some probiotics into the fish. Anywhich way you can, and to always of course as mentioned, make sure the food sinks.

okey thanx guys! I had done gel food in the past but it always takes so long (as I have to cook it for my jelly to work, I dont get jelly for cold food here), and I always have to make SO much in order to have some variety of ingredients inside! I always end up throwing most! I will try and only make a week's worth of stuff now. I was looking for pellets as it is so much more convenient!

this is the SakiHikari I have:

My link

basically I do soak it for like 5-10mins, and it does sink, but the fish still float! HOWEVER, it works awesome for all my 'baby' fish such as the ranchus and Dr.House - so that will be their staple, also because I LOVE the small pellet size, it's perfect for their little mouthes... :heart and they have ZERO floaty issues - I can also feed it dry and it's not a problem. Floatiness gets worse with age and size right? As in babies the organs aren't squished yet?!

When I made the gel food I always added the ProBiotics, as well as some vitamins on and off. Will make a mini batch this week then! In the meantime - it's Broccoli time!

today I went out and got them some frozen mini sweet shrimps - worked PERFECTLY! They LOVED them and NO floating!

Will then feed them gel food and frozen food from now on. :whatjust:

Big red is a floaty fellow and peas work instantly...still don't want to see her belly up when I come down in the morning. I think I'll try the gel food too.

I would definitely do a double-check of your water parameters...I find it a little suspicious that all of them suddenly have buoyancy issues...

the water is still good. the floating was over this morning - they started floating after the Saki Hikari dinner. :blink: Sir Lancelot and Sir Archie are usually pretty prone to floating, Einstein rarely.