Now Snotrod Is Sick

I just found him stuck to the back of a filter in my tank. He wasn't looking so well in the last few days but there wasn't anything that really stood out and he still swam and ate.

Today, after getting him off of the filter I noticed a blood streak on one part of his tail. He is a white fish with a redcap so you can see it really clearly. I have also noticed that he looks really red under his white skin. See pics. He looks like he lost a lot of scales too but I don't know why. The water quality has been great.

Every test has shown:

Ammonia - 0

Nitrites - 0

Nitrates - 5

pH - 8.0

Temp 74-76

Prime to condition water during water changes.

He was happy and swimming along without a problem up until a few days ago. I knew my other post in the general forum would jinx me. UGH!!!

Can I save him? Usuallly when a fish gets like this I lose them. I haven't been able to save one yet. Snotrod is EXTRA special because he has survived a whole slew of other issues. But he has never looked this bad before.

SickSnotrod2.jpg

SickSnotrod3.jpg

SickSnotrod.jpg

Edited by Angel1020

Oh poor little guy. Have you put him in a Hospital tank? I think salt would be good here. However, I think I see a bit of raised scales in the pics? Can you get a clear photo right from up top? Just so we can make sure he has no dropsy - then you can go ahead and start with a mild 0.1 percent salt. Have you noticed his poop btw?

Oh you have come so far with the keeping of your babies :)

I also think the scales may be raised :( A pic from above will confirm this asap...Is the blood under the skin by chance where he was stuck to the filter?? it could be some internal damage :( Please keep us posted,so we can give the proper advise ;)

I will try and get better pics but I will say that once I saw these I thought dropsy as well. Right now he is in a floating basket in the main tank. I started adding salt last night actually and just added another dose today so I'm at .2% so far. I'm treating the whole tank because my new fish, Clyde and Mac, were moved into that tank and I just noticed some long white stringy poo. They are getting used to their new diet I guess. Also, Rusty has been laying low on the bottom of the tank a bit so I figured a good salt treatment for everyone would be good. I hope it works for now. I will be gone all day tomorrow and won't be able to really watch them so this is all I can do for the moment. Sunday I will check again and move Snotrod to a QT if he still needs it.

Thanks for the heads up on the blood on his body. It actually was right where he was stuck to the filter. I didn't think of that.

Keep your fingers crossed!

If it is dropsy you better keep him away from normal salt. Try and put epson in his hospital water as soon as you can, and raise the heat.

Yes I agree right away I thought I notices a bit of pineconing in one of those pictures..

If it were me I would probably try to get a hold of some medicated food that is good for treating dropsy. First choice would be MetroMeds which you can purchase online at Goldfish Connection. If you are unable to get those, then an alternative is Jungle AntiParasite Food. That can be found at many chain pet stores.

For now I would just try to get a hold of one of these things IN CASE you need it. Update us first on the possible dropsy because if you can treat without meds that is always best. But I find it's better to have them on hand and NOT use them, then to find out you need them and be scrambling around looking for them. Most medicated foods will last one year if unopened and stored in a cool dry place, so it's always nice to have a pack on hand.

In the meantime maybe you could get a sponge and cover the filter where he got stuck to it, just as a precaution so it doesn't happen again..

Last, don't give up.. I had a fish in this EXACT situation. It's weird how similar actually. My fish is a red cap as well and she ended up stuck to a filter. Her body was bruised and the scales came off in that area and she began to dropsy.. She looked worse than your fish I think and she pulled thru it! I hope your fish can too!