The Boys Are Sick Again..need Advice On What I Should Do

it seems like whatever this thing is is attacking overnight.. I missed one water change. My bettas have the same thing they had before. This is getting to be very frustrating, and it's hit Duke harder this time. He's having trouble getting to the surface to breathe and when I scooped him out of his tank he just tumbled around in the water like a dead fish.. His colors are turning pale again, and his fins are clamped. He ate yesterday.. but now he wont touch anything. I used spring water for the water change so everythings at 0 right now and treated again with GSE, which he tried to eat again... idiot. Willie Nelson has those red sores again on his face, and the white pale coloring going down his belly.. I am moving on Sunday, I know they wont recover by then, and that the drive will kill them in this condition, I also know that my mom will not do daily water changes for them if I leave them here. Right now my only options seem to be kill them now or let them die while im gone..

Oh my... I don't have any advice for you, this is a tough one. But I just wanted to drop in and give you some support :hug I hope things work out well somehow for you and the bettas.

Tough call. If they were my fish, I'd leave them behind and drive back to them for treatment depending on the distances involved. But I'm also a goldie noob so hopefully someone more experienced will chime in.

:cry1 Oh, I am so sorry hun, this must be such a hard decision to face. Just trust yourself to make the decision you won't regret.... I'm sorry I can't give you any practical advice on medication or treatment, otherwise.

Duke is dead, he passed away about a hour after I posted.. Willie Nelson is following close behind. I cant drive back and forth to treat Willie Nelson, and its a 2 hour drive. I always use only spring water on the bettas.

Edited by ETF_Ava

I use conditioned tap on the goldies because they can handle it better it seems.. Tropical fish do not do well with my cities water because there is a lot of sulphur and other agents that water conditioner cannot remove which kill tropical fish (I found this out from one of the marine biology professors at the local college). Because of this I use spring water, it may be lacking in minerals or something that tropical fish need in their water but the water change that started all of these problems with the infection/illness was when I used 50% tap water and 50% spring water in their divided 10 gallon tank.

I'm so sorry your having all these problems and I know your doing the best you can do :) I hope your last little guy pulls through for you,I have horrible tap/city water here as well,but the prime does the trick for both my goldfish and my betta's :) maybe it's a last resort you could give a try for the Betta...it maybe just what he needs??

Mom and I have been seriously considering euthanizing Willie Nelson.. I don't have time to take proper care of him. I'm still packing and I have to move in less than 2 days, mom doesnt want him either and my landlord still hasnt called me back about my dogs pet deposit which I can't afford.. I can't afford any more medicine for the fish.. I feel horrible because his life is my responsibility but my dogs well being does come over the well being of my fish. My mom loves my goldfish, so I don't have to worry about them.. for whatever reason she just doesnt care about the betta, I can "always just get another one" in her eyes. This experience has made me never want bettas again though lol. I like goldfish better.

Edited by ETF_Ava

Im sorry to say this but it has been decided to euthanize Willie Nelson. He has the columnaris white saddle clearly all over his back and his "spikes" on his tail are all breaking off, there are now 5 of them sitting on the bottom of his tank. My mom and I have been slowly adding GSE so we can OD him peacefully and stop his suffering. If the GSE doesnt work like we read it should then tomorrow morning my uncle will euthanize him on other terms.

So Willie Nelson died last night. My mom said that while I was outside with the dogs she added half of the bottle of GSE and he passed away. She's bleaching my 1.5 gallon tank and telling me that when I move (sometime this week) that she thinks I should try again with bettas.. I'm not sure if I want to continue with them though.

Crystal I'm so sorry about all of this. :cry1 It is always hard to lose a fish but even harder when it is necessary to end their life ourselves. You did all you can for both of your fishes. :heart

Don't give up on bettas hun, they can be just as rewarding as goldies but they are a little more delicate. If I could suggest something here, I have found imo that female bettas are so much more hardy than the males and they have just as much personalities. Maybe you could try a female this time.

I'll think about it.. I've personally never liked females, but I've also never actually looked at them for consideration very long either.. If I do decide to get another male then I'm thinking delta since I had two male deltas in a half gallon tank live to be 5 and 7 years old..