Help Me Turn This Into A Good Idea.

Okey, so my new tank is arriving in a little less than a month now - SO exciting! :whatjust:

I am already planning the deco etc. (I already found 2 places for it - but it most likely will go in an empty (well, now empty) wall in my living room) I have decided that I want to keep it mostly clean and empty. I want to add some real plants tho. I was thinking that, instead of adding a couple of pots, i could pot a variety of plants into a larger pot. I was thinking a couple of large sword plants in the back, and some anubias in the front.

lets say something like this (just a bit lower and larger) Not really a pot, more like a glass dish.

My link

I wanted to add some special aquarium plant substrate and some gravel on top to plant the plants in.

however, I have a few issues...

- I have had various plant roots rot in pots, especially with aquarium plant soil. why is this?

- I am a bit of a neat freak, not sure I could deal with pieces of soil around the tank... And COULD I really refrain myself from cleaning the pot out each week???

- could the gravel/ soil become breeding grounds for bad bacteria?

The other idea I came up with, was planting the plants in a fish bowl. Again, have the substrate (I could even play with some colored gravel here) and put the plants in it - so that they would be protected by the bowl. This could look fun, however, would the plants get enough current in there? How could I keep it clean (neat freak)... Would it be dangerous for the fish regarding gasses - since the bowl would probably have pretty stagnant water I assume?

Otherwise, I could get some long stemmed plants, that don't necessarily need to be planted - and arrange them in cool ways in the bowl.

My link

So this is the ideas I am playing with, I really want to have some kind of 'green island' in the middle of the tank. and the rest nice and clean. BUT I don't want to put the fishies (and my nerves) in danger. and I don't want to have to replace the plants every few months (like I do now). the man at the store told me that most aquarium plants live 10ish years - I felt like a TOTAL failure :cry

What planted aquarium soil are you using? Are you removing the plants from the pots they come in? Are you using the weights?

I used organic potting soil in two of my tanks. I have not had any trouble with floating soil. Only time I did have that problem is if I moved the plants around. If you use pots or bowls you might have less problems with that as you can move pot and all around in the tank.

Couple great links that might help you.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/el-natural/

and

http://thegab.org/Plants/setting-up-a-walstad-natural-planted-tank.html

and

http://thegab.org/Plants/how-to-pot-aquarium-plants-in-topsoil.html

oh and just one more.

http://thegab.org/Plants/the-planted-betta-bowl.html

That last one is for a betta bowl. It is the first planted set up I did to get the feel of things. I though that might help you with your bowl idea for your tank.

Hope those help you out. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Good luck

I keep non-substrate plants in my tanks, I just tie java ferns to glass nuggets and you can't see anything except the plant, the tank's barebottom and it's really really easy to clean and I still get the greeeeen. I also have one piece of driftwood as a centre-piece with plants tied to it which might work. Or if you want glass you could try and find an ornament that's glass shaped like a tree branch or something to tie plants too but I expect it would be hard to find and cost a bomb...

thanx Hidr. I will read through your links!

I have tried all types of ways with the plants. First, I used to take them out of the baskets and plant them in special Dennerle mixed soil for aquariums (so expensive! :doh11: ) - didn't work, that's when it rotted. Then I tried with gravel and the nutrient balls, didn't work either - the plants got very thin, roots rotted. Then I tried leaving them in the little pots + spongy thing they sell them with - died..... I literally have been self sponsoring the plant section at my LFS! :ignore

Now the only plants I have in the Betta tanks are free rooted ones - anubias etc. Those seem indestructible :bingo: I just stuff them in a pot. Same goes for the turtle tank - I have the 'water weed' plants... and the floating ones.

Thanx Sarah, my other idea was just to have a giant piece of driftwood in the tank - but I am a little afraid since so many people seem to have had fish heath issues because of it.... :(

Would the fish bowl be a problem - stagnant water wise - ? I think that non-substrate plants might possibly be my best bet (also for the OCD part of me! nice and easy to clean :lol1 ) Sarah how do you fix the plants to the nuggets? I sometimes have issues with weak plant roots etc... Do you have pics by any chance???

wow they have huge roots! do you tie them at the end of the plant or on the root part?

anyone have a link of all the non-substrate needing plants?