Plants, Co2 And Air Stones

Hi all,

I am nearing the final stages of my planning process. I just have a few things i need clearing up.

I plan on having a heavily planted tank. after looking at the price of co2 equipment i have decided to have a go at diy co2 for now. I have read elsewhere that an air stone can be dangerous towards the plants in the tank, is this right? also, when doing the co2 myself, will the mix i make depend on the plants, amount of fish, subtrate etc or will one diy co2 recipe do the trick?

i hope you understand what i am trying to ask :)

thanks in advance

I do a lot of reading on planting tanks and this is what I have found over the years.

As far as i know there is only one DIY co2 recipe. Never seen but one anyways. The trick as I understand it with co2 is having a bottle ready to go. It is also harder to regulate. Also I think with co2 using a bubble stone may cause you to have less in the tank. You also need to make sure you have expensive fancy lights so you can get 5 plus watts per gallon on the tank.

This is why I opted for a low tech, low light non co2 tanks. Cheaper, easier, and less can go wrong.

I wish you luck.

thanks for your input, much appreciated.

The aquarium i am buying has a built in lighting unit and comes complete with the bulbs. It comes with 3 x 39w T5 bulbs and i have the choice of what color lights. Do you think this is sufficient?

thanks again

Nope the lights that come with tanks are not enough unless you are getting one of the JBJ set ups that come with lights. But then you have to replace the lights from salt water to fresh water.

This is a great place to learn about setting up a tank. Or here. Those are the two places I go when I have questions or just want to read the latest about planted tanks.

Since I don't do co2 or high light set ups you can learn more there then from me.

Good luck