Goldfish With Ich And White/clear Poop

npila1

Hello,

I have had my 3 goldfish (2 common and 1 comet) for one and a half years now. They are currently in a 20-gallon tank. I should also mention that I moved from NY to CT 2 week and that definitely put stress on them. About a week ago, I noticed 3-4 white spots on the back fin of the comet and it looked like ich. I tried to treat it with heat (temperature is about 86 F) and aquarium salt (3 tablespoons for every 5 gallons). I also vacuum the gravel every couple of days to pick up any parasites that have fallen off. However, the white spots are still there and no NEW spots have appeared on the comet or the two common goldfish (which is bewildering). Should I continue with the heat and salt treatment or should I start some kind of medication like Quick Cure?

Another problem I'm having with my goldfish is that for the past 10 days or so, I have noticed white or clear poop several times. The comet has had clear poop with bubbles in it (about half an inch long), whereas the other two have had sometimes clear and sometimes white poop, without bubbles, and with a zig-zag shape (about half an inch long, too). Most of the time I feed them tetra goldfish flakes soaked in water. After observing this white/clear poop, I fed them only peas for three days just in case this was due to constipation, but I still see that same poop. I have read many things about what white poop means and that it could be due to internal parasites, but those sources also mentioned that the fish stop eating and become sluggish. My goldfish, however, have as great an appetite as ever. They are also very active and playful and seem happy in general.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions about what I should do regarding both the white spots (most probably ich) and the abnormal (?) poop. Please take a look at my answers below and let me know if any additional information would help. Thank you very much in advance!

[*]Ammonia Level? N/A

[*]Nitrite Level? 0 mg/L

[*]Nitrate level? 5 mg/L

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.1

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? N/A

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Jungle Quick Dip (Strips)

[*]Water temperature? 86 F

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 20 gallons, 1 month (I have added StressZyme to speed up the cycle)

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Whisper 10-30 gallons

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? Once a week, 25%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 fish, about 3 inches each

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Aquasafe

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Flakes soaked in water, once a day

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? No

[*]Any medications added to the tank? No

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? grains of salt/white spots on the back fin of one of the three goldfish and white/clear poop

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? a few days ago they were a bit more timid than usual, but now they are back to normal; they are active and have a great appetite as mentioned above

Hello and Welcome to Kokos :D

Well part of the problem could be that the tank is too small and it could be stressing them out? Comets and commons need 20 gallons each just due to how big they become.

The poop could be stress poop and the bubbles could be because they are eating flakes from the surface. When goldfish eat from the surface they accidentally swallow air during their piggy feeding time and it can get caught up in their digestive tracts. You may want to try switching to a sinking pellet type food if you are able to. They could also be stressed because of the recent move as well.

As for the ich I would do an 100% to get all of the salt out of the water as well as lower the heat immediately. 86 degrees is way too high for them and could also be adding to the stress. DO NOT add any medication to the tank before trying clean water and a good salt treatment. The salting dosage is 1 teaspoon per gallon and you'll want to add it over a course of 12 hour increments. Your tank is 20 gallons so you'll want to add 20 teaspoons of aquarium salt (diluted in tank water). This will raise your salting dosage to .1%. In another 12 hours repeat which will raise you to .2% and then repeat again in another 12 hours raising it to .3% and then stop there. Try and lower your temperature to about 78 degrees slowly. That is a good temperature to treat ich in and then vacuum the gravel maybe every 2 or so days.

As for anything else, I think you should up your weekly water changes to about 50% or more a week, and then try and get the api test drop kit. The problem with test strips is that they are grossly inaccurate when you use them to read your water. The drop test kits are accurate as they give you exact numbers, and they last about a year or more :) They are very well worth the money and essential.

I'm sorry this is so much text but I hope it answers most of your questions. :heart If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask and definitely keep us posted so we can keep your fishies happy ones :) Once again welcome to Kokos and it's a pleasure to have a fellow goldie lover here :D

Edited by Tay

Welcome to Koko's! You've come to the right place!

Zig-zaggy and bubbly poop most likely means that the fish is female and is reabsorbing eggs. This is normal for female fish. Is it just that one fish that is having poo like this, and the rest are having just plain clear poo? Just plain clear poo (with no zig-zags or bubbles) generally is a sign of stress. They could be stressed for a variety of reasons, a few being; the tank is too small, the recent move, the temperature is quite high, parameters are off, parasitic attack, etc. It's commonly thought that ich resides in most aquariums in numbers that are too small to infect the fish. But when a fish is stressed (possibly from the recent move) their guard can be compromised, and the parasite can infect them more easily.

Can you try to get a photo of the white spots? You can upload the photo to photobucket.com and then copy and paste the "direct link" onto this thread by using the "insert image" button. There are a variety of things that look like white spots on fish, and we just want to make sure it really is ich that you're dealing with here :)

You really need to look into getting the fish a larger tank, I'd say a 55 gallon tank as a bare minimum. The more space, the better. Until you are able to do that then it's important that you do lots and lots of water changing, just like Tay said. But please do make sure the water is temperature and pH matched when you do changes. If it's not, this can cause the fish a lot of stress and lead to more white stringy poos. Also getting an API freshwater master test kit will be very helpful. We need to get a reading for ammonia as well as the others. I totally agree with Tay about the salt level. The level you have in the tank right now is mostly just a therapeutic treatment which actually won't work to kill the parasites. For that you will need to raise it slowly to .3% as Tay outlines. But it would be good if you could get a photo before doing that.

Hi! Thanks for the replies and all the advice. First comment is that they actually don't eat flakes at the surface, because I soak them and then pour them in the tank so they go to the bottom and then float around. Thanks for the suggestion about the drop test kit; I will definitely get that. Second comment, yes, only one of them had bubbles in her feces and the other two have had various other kinds (white/clear, straight/zig-zag).

I also have a few questions:

1. Would it be ok for me to increase the salt concentration to 0.3% by simply adding salt to the tank as it is instead of doing a 100% water change first? I already have more than half of the required salt amount for .3% in there, so I am wondering how crucial that 100% water change is.

2. I have had the salt concentration higher than usual for quite some time now (about a week tomorrow). If I increase it further to .3% to treat for ich, it will need to be at that level for another week or so. Can it harm my fishies to have such high salt levels for 2 or more weeks?

3. Decreasing the temperature has proved to be a pain this summer. I do not have air conditioning where I live now, so I haven't been able to lower the temperature of the tank. I have two fans but they don't help much. I try to leave the hood open or cracked when I'm home just to get some air flow in there and lower the surface temperature, but it hasn't been very effective so far. Thus, the question: How do I lower the temperature??

I am currently trying to get a decent photo of the white spots, so I may post again soon. Thanks again for your help!

Here are two photos that kind of show the white spots on the back fin of the comet (Twinkle). I put arrows pointing to the spots to make it easier to find them.

http://s932.photobucket.com/albums/ad163/npila1/?action=view&current=DSC_0310arrows.jpg

http://s932.photobucket.com/albums/ad163/npila1/?action=view&current=DSC_0006arrows.jpg&newest=1

Edited by npila1

I was wondering how your fish are doing today? I'm sorry this thread seems to have slipped through some cracks. :)

Could you recap what you have been doing the last few days regarding the salt?

To reduce the temperature in your tank you can leave the lights off during the day and only turn them on for a little while when you feed your fish and enjoy them. :)

You can also place a fan so that it blows along the surface of the water.

How long have the white spots been on your goldie? If it was ich then the spots would have fallen off after 3-4 days especially at the temp. your tank is at. These might just be some spots that sometimes appear when the fish are stressed.

I was wondering how your fish are doing today? I'm sorry this thread seems to have slipped through some cracks. :)

Could you recap what you have been doing the last few days regarding the salt?

To reduce the temperature in your tank you can leave the lights off during the day and only turn them on for a little while when you feed your fish and enjoy them. :)

You can also place a fan so that it blows along the surface of the water.

How long have the white spots been on your goldie? If it was ich then the spots would have fallen off after 3-4 days especially at the temp. your tank is at. These might just be some spots that sometimes appear when the fish are stressed.

Caitie, thanks a lot for your reply. Twinkle has the same spots on the back fin, which is why I think it cannot be ick (as you mentioned the spots would have fallen off). The spots have been there for a couple of weeks. She is active though and acts normal. I have now decreased the salt to 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons (the recommended dosage on the aquarium salt box as a stress reducer and general tonic). I am now more concerned about the clear poop than the spots, because I still see clear, long, thin poop from one of the other goldfish (not Twinkle which is the one with the white spots). There has been no change in his appetite though. Any advice is welcome!

Well since your tank is a little overstocked and the fish are still acting normally I would think the clear poops are stress related. The clear poops can also come from the fact that you are feeding flakes, the fish might be a bit constipated which sometimes causes clear poop. If you could feed a good sinking pellet or even better make your own gelfood that would certainly benefit your fish. :) In the meantime you might want to feed them all some thawed frozen peas that you boil for a few minutes, you need to remove the skin and feed some of the inside mashed up a little bit. This will flush out the digestive system and you should eventually see some pea colored poop. :D