Tank Problem... :(

I had a tank set up and I put a pearscale in it... Its died while I was away for a week and when I returned I looked at the tank and there was a rainbow sheen on the water in the filter. I guess it was some type of oil... Maybe fish oil.?. My mom said that the fish was stuck on the filter the day after she saw it had died(she left it in the tank to make sure it was dead). Anyway a couple of days ago I cleaned the tank and everything and ran warm water through the filter. Cleaned the filter pad added new charcoal and cleaned the bio fiber also. I dont have fish in it, but there is a scum that has seemed to build up on the top. Its not the rainbow sheen that was before but there is a scum all around the edges floating on the water... Anyone know whats going on? Im thinking it might be the filter... Im never buying a filter from Wal mart again(hopefully).

Edited by oeyjay143

I think there is an auto filter for words such as Wal*mart, Pet*co and Pets*mart :D Since they are places that don't always have the best interest in mind when it comes to fish. Like some, not all, care more about sales than giving out proper information.

Anyway, the scum could just be a protein buildup. Much like what happens to the surface of stagnant water. Do you have the water level lower than the filter return or an airstone to break the water surface?

Exactly what Ashlee said, how is the surface agitation? You also don't want to put carbon in your filter in a goldfish tank. It just takes out medicine and needs to be replaced so often it's not worth the money. Sakura said before that it can actually leak impurities back into the water.

Was the tank cycled while you were gone for a week?

what size is your tank and how many GPH is it cycling?

is your filter cycling I mean

Its a ten Gallon Aquarium and the box for the filter doesn't say GPH all it says is that its a 2-10 gal filter. But judging by the two-ten thing its probably not strong enough.

Ten gallons is going to be too small of a tank, for even one goldfish. And you want as much as 10x the filtration. So for a 20 gallon tank, which is where you should start for one fish, you would require 200 gallons per hour filtration. Plus plenty of surface agitation to keep a strong oxygen level.

I find filters over exaggerate like one of my filters says 30=60 gallons but it only turns over 330 gallons of water per hour. so for goldfish that means a 30 gallon or 2 filters for a 60 gallon