Moving Question.

Hi there,

we are moving to a new house on monday and I was wondering how I should move my fish. It's a 10G tank with two little comets. (upgrading to a 55G next week now that we're going to have more room) The new place is just 5 minutes away so I was wondering if I could just take the decorations and 2/3 of the water out and move the tank on a board in the car? Would that be to risky? It's a Topfin plastic tank.

Also, should I take a few gallons of water from the old house or would they be fine if I just used the water from the new place. It's city water.

Thank you for your help.

Kerstin

Have you tested the water at the new place yet? You should probably both test both your water's pH and the new places' pH just to be safe. Also I would get a bucket or two to keep the fish in and then put the filter media and any decorations in it so you don't lose a cycle if you have one. You'll want to make sure the water is pH matched so you can age it if need be.

Have you tested the water at the new place yet? You should probably both test both your water's pH and the new places' pH just to be safe. Also I would get a bucket or two to keep the fish in and then put the filter media and any decorations in it so you don't lose a cycle if you have one. You'll want to make sure the water is pH matched so you can age it if need be.

Thanks Tay

No, haven't tested the water yet. Good idea. I'll do that today. So you think I should move the fish and the decorations into a bucket with the old water? I shouldn't just leave them in the tank?

Yes I think a bucket would be fine. Or you can use clean water just so that it'll be at its freshest. Even though it's 5 minutes away I wouldn't feed them for a couple of days before you move so they don't foul up the water.

Put the fish in a separate bucket, and the decorations and filter media in a different one so you don't lose your beneficial bacteria :) Keeping them in the tank may be a little harder to move around but either or will work fine. Just make sure the water is dechlorinated too in both buckets if you do use them.

Yes I think a bucket would be fine. Or you can use clean water just so that it'll be at its freshest. Even though it's 5 minutes away I wouldn't feed them for a couple of days before you move so they don't foul up the water.

Put the fish in a separate bucket, and the decorations and filter media in a different one so you don't lose your beneficial bacteria :) Keeping them in the tank may be a little harder to move around but either or will work fine. Just make sure the water is dechlorinated too in both buckets if you do use them.

Thanks for the info Tay. Yes, I definitely don't want to go throught the whole cycling thing again if I can avoid it. :-) Moving the goldies is kind of stressing me out more than moving the rest of the household...

:lol I don't blame you! Goldies seem to have that odd tendency to do that. I think they do it on purpose sometimes :D

Everything should go well though since it's such a short trip. Oh is the new 55 gallon set up at the new place already?

:lol I don't blame you! Goldies seem to have that odd tendency to do that. I think they do it on purpose sometimes :D

Everything should go well though since it's such a short trip. Oh is the new 55 gallon set up at the new place already?

lol.

No not set up yet. They are still painting and putting carpets in the new place. So I'll get it next week. Can't wait! I bet they like that a lot more, even though they're only about 1 1/2 to 2 inches big right now. :-) Should give them so much room to play.

:D Yes it's the perfect size for them since they need 20 gallons each. :heart they're going to get so big and pretty. When you set up the 55 gallon put the filter media from the 10 gallon in the filter boxes. Do you have gravel?

:D Yes it's the perfect size for them since they need 20 gallons each. :heart they're going to get so big and pretty. When you set up the 55 gallon put the filter media from the 10 gallon in the filter boxes. Do you have gravel?

I have gravel, but after reading this site it looks like it's too small for a goldfish tank, because they can put it in their mouth.... and they've tried that already. So I think I don't want to use the same gravel in the new one. Maybe I can put one of the old decorations in there for a while. I also want to keep the old tank going until the new one is cycled. Don't want to put my guys through that again. I was thinking of getting some Danios for that? As for the filter media: All I have in the old tank is one of those Whispa (sp?) filters with a carbon insert. What kind of media should I have in there? Or should I transfer the carbon insert? (Sorry I'm all new to this...)

Yes you probably don't want any gravel period in a goldfish tank. It harbors so much bad bacteria and poo it can really make a mess of things for both you and your fish.

As for carbon you don't need it in a goldfish tank, you can cut the insert and empty the carbon out and keep the filter floss. With filters you're going to want a x10 turnover per hour rate. So for example, you're going to have a 55 gallon so you'll want filters that turn over 550 gallons per hour. I recommend Aquaclears because they have so much room for filter media such as ceramic biobeads for the beneficial bacteria to colonize.

Actually it would be better to keep them in the 55 gallon to cycle it than leave them in the smaller 10 gallon. Their waste will be very diluted and they'll be better off in the 55 gallon than the 10 gallon. You can take some of the old gravel and put it in a mesh bag and put it in the filters for the 55 gallon, that'll help push the cycle along.

There is nothing wrong with asking questions :D We all started out new. Feel free to ask as many questions as you need :)

Edited by Tay

• Admin

Just want to jump in here and say.

Please always empty out a tank, moving a tank with water in it or gravel in it can make the tank break, plus they are really heavy. Trust me i hurt my back from trying to pull a 15 gal nano tank with sand and rocks in it, now I pay the price for doing that.

Yes you probably don't want any gravel period in a goldfish tank. It harbors so much bad bacteria and poo it can really make a mess of things for both you and your fish.

As for carbon you don't need it in a goldfish tank, you can cut the insert and empty the carbon out and keep the filter floss. With filters you're going to want a x10 turnover per hour rate. So for example, you're going to have a 55 gallon so you'll want filters that turn over 550 gallons per hour. I recommend Aquaclears because they have so much room for filter media such as ceramic biobeads for the beneficial bacteria to colonize.

Actually it would be better to keep them in the 55 gallon to cycle it than leave them in the smaller 10 gallon. Their waste will be very diluted and they'll be better off in the 55 gallon than the 10 gallon. You can take some of the old gravel and put it in a mesh bag and put it in the filters for the 55 gallon, that'll help push the cycle along.

There is nothing wrong with asking questions :D We all started out new. Feel free to ask as many questions as you need :)

Thanks Tay. I'll see if my fish store sells Aquaclear filters. Are they easy to take care of? Also if you think that's better I'll put my two guys in the new tank while it is cycling.

If I wanted to add some Danios after the cycling is done should I quarantene (sp?) them first? And how many do you think I could get without making it too crowded?

Just want to jump in here and say.

Please always empty out a tank, moving a tank with water in it or gravel in it can make the tank break, plus they are really heavy. Trust me i hurt my back from trying to pull a 15 gal nano tank with sand and rocks in it, now I pay the price for doing that.

Ok I'll definitely empty out my tank after reading your post. Wouldn't want to break the tank or my back. Thanks Koko. :-)

Hi there,

just wanted to let you all know that the move went fine and everyone is doing well. Thank you so much for your help. The new tank is coming next week. Can't wait :-)

Congrats on the safe move...Looking forward to pic's of their new setup :)

Thanks. It sure took a weight of my shoulders once they were safe and happy. I'll post photos of the new tank. Haven't quite decided how to "furnish" it yet. Sooo looking forward to getting them all new stuff for their future home. :-)