Powerheads Heating Up Tank?

Hello everybody! :)

I have a question. I am running 2 well maintained powerheads in my tank, the water in my tank is 3+ degrees warmer than room temp. Does anybody know if the powerheads could be the culprit for the higher water temps? Even with the tank lid open, the tank temps are higher than my water change buckets that sit in the same room for 24 hours before I do my water changes.

It seems like powerheads aren't extremely popular with members tanks around here, I thought it was maybe because of the high currents they produce.

My powerheads have been so useful for filtration and aeration, but I don't need them overheating my babies.

They wouldnt heat up the tank as much as the lights do hun... do you have your lights still on?

The lights only go on during feeding, twice a day for 4-5 min. during the summer. The UV sterilizer is always on though. :undecided:

• Admin

Have you tried to put a fan going across the top of the tank while the lid is open? Most likely if the lights arent on all day its just the combo of all the equipment on in there :(

Have you tried to put a fan going across the top of the tank while the lid is open? Most likely if the lights arent on all day its just the combo of all the equipment on in there :(

Yes, that gets the tank water about 1-2 degrees cooler.:) The fish have been in manageable temps for the summer, but temp matching for water changes has been a pain, putting buckets in the sun to heat them up, up and down the stairs I go. :krazy: I was curious if anybody has had a powerhead overheat on them.

• Admin

Currents just keep the water moving and keep the temp constant through out the tank, its things like.. Lights, heaters, motors and such that keep the water warm :)

It's probably the UV sterilizer. Might be some contribution from the powerheads. I'd think the water movement would do more good than the negligible temp rise a powerhead would create.

And there are people who use powerheads and such to move water in goldfish tanks. We don't talk about them much though. I like the Hydor Koralia Evolution and Nano myself.

Thanks everybody! :)

It's probably the UV sterilizer. Might be some contribution from the powerheads. I'd think the water movement would do more good than the negligible temp rise a powerhead would create.

And there are people who use powerheads and such to move water in goldfish tanks. We don't talk about them much though. I like the Hydor Koralia Evolution and Nano myself.

Koralia 1400!!? :o That baby just ****'s and gets....WOW! I was going to go with 2 Aqua Clear powerhead 70's for my upcoming 200 g, they don't make a filter attachment for the AC 110 powerhead. I am really starting to like Hydor, the LED stuff, and the volcano's. BIG power with those Hydor powerheads!