Sign in to follow this  
The Dragon's Rose

New Tank Recomendations

Ok, so I'm still stalking craigslist for my perfect tank. I think I found one today, and e-mailed the poster an offer... thing is, it's JUST the tank, stand, and lights. SOOOOoooo... enter the Koko's crew. I'm looking for some suggestions as to what type of filtration I should be looking at (I know the 10x gph rule) as well as any other "gizmos" you guys might suggest. The tank I'm looking at (and crossing EVERYTHING for) is 180 gal of acrylic goodness. I'm also on a TIGHT budget, so for a little while, cheaper is better. I did realize yesterday that I have $200-$300 of old textbooks lying around in the garage, so my budget might be expanding soon if I can actually sell them for a good price. I'm hoping to not spend ALL of that extra cash on my fish, but will if necessary since I know what I have on hand won't even cover the price of adequate filtration.

Current fish that will be going into my hopeful tank are 3 commons. EVENTUALLY I will be adding more single-tails to that, but that's later. Also I have 1 bn who'll be moving with them. I REALLY hope I get this tank, but even if I don't, chances are that I'll need help figuing out what to buy for whatever one I DO get, so help me out Koko's!

180 gallons? WOW. I can't even imagine how big that must be. Sounds like goldfish heaven! A tip: Make sure your floor is sturdy enough to support a tank that size. Filled with water and equipment, it will weigh close to a ton (truly).

For a tank that large, I think you'll need to consider using canister filters. I don't think HOB filters will have enough "oomph" to adequately filter debris from a tank that big.

Just about everything you buy is going to be exponentially more expensive for such a gigantic tank. You'll need at least one airpump that's rated for BIG tanks, more than one powerful heater to regulate temperature (if you have temp swings in your house), etc. It's gonna be pricey for sure.

But oooooh, how cool will it be when you're done and have almost two hundred GALLONS of water for your goldfish??? I'm jealous! :druel

check chegg.com or alibris.com to sell your books back. I think you can even sell text books on amazon.com.

you can go w/ either hob's or a canister. you'd need a couple hob's on the tank I'd think, like the Aquaclear 110's, http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3610 I use canister filters on all my tanks, http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3602

definitely get an airpump rated for a larger tank and two or three airstones/bubble wands. here's a link to the air pump I use, there is a chart which tells you what sizes are available, http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=12738

To be honest... I wasn't looking for anything QUITE that large, more in the 100-130 range, but I saw this one and just COULDN'T resist making an offer. It's not a done deal yet, and even if I get it, I won't be able to set it up until I have the money for filters... but I have big plans for it if I do get it!

I just bought 2 Aquaclear 110 filters from this Ebay Seller

You can Email Them,and They will sell You as many as You want at the $49.99 price and save on combined shipping too.

It is an auction,so it is possible that someone will outbid the $49.99 price,but the seller list's them everyday,so if You keep trying,You will get it at $49.99.

The 110 maxes out at 500 gallons per hour,so You would need 3 or 4 of them for Your 180

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280540797887&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

First, thanks on that e-bay tip... DEF gonna keep it in mind. Second, I think I need someone to explain the (real) difference between canisters an HOBs... I've been doing some research, and EVERYWHERE I look, HOB is cheaper for the same gph as a canister... by a LOT, at least half, sometimes a quarter, of the price. I don't really get why... are canisters "better" in some way? or are they just easier/more convenient to use? I realize that for a 180 gal tank, I'll need multiple filters (unless I consider something designed for ponds) to get the gph I need. Guess I'm just looking for somebody out there to justify why canisters are so much more expensive, lol ;)

idk, can't give an reasons about the price difference. but canisters have an immense amount of more room for filter media than hob's.

Do you think canisters would allow me to "fudge" on the gph for a little while as long as my tank stays understocked by a LOT? I'd probably be shooting for at least 5x to start if so...

Canisters move alot more water through alot more media and the GPH is always lower. I usually run one canister, but then add some HOBS to bump up the GPH. It is hard to get 10x with a canister and not blow your fish out of the water with the outtake.

Ahh, ok, that explains the price difference. I don't think I'd worry too much about current since my fish are commons, and the only goldies I plan on keeping will all be single tailed. I may still baffle outflows a bit, but the fish I have now seem to enjoy swimming in the current from the powerhead.

I'm still curious though... does anyone think it'd be alright for me to go with... say... 5x gph for a couple of months (possibly a bit more) if my tank is THAT understocked? 3 commons in 180 gals, when the largest is only about 5 inches including tail leaves a LOT of "extra space" to help dillute what the filters may or may not be handling... at least, that's MY logic.

again, idk about only 5x gph...whatever filter you decide it needs to have lots of room for bio media. even though the fish will be small the bb colony will be large to handle all the waste of the 3 commons.