Sign in to follow this  
Scottscott00

My New Ranchu Has Too Much Wen...

So i just got a 2 1/2 inch ranchu and it has a LOT of wen growing around his face. There are only 2 little holes where his eyes are. He bumps into everything and cant see the food right in front of him... what should i do??? =/

should i consider wen trimming? hes just so small! i dont even know if trimming would even be possible.

I'm often told that even if his eyes become completely covered the fish will still be able to "smell" to food. I'm not so sure, especially as you say he can't see the food right infront of him. However, wen trimming can be extremely dangerouse for the fish and can lead to death either through an infection, stress or something else entirly. Hopefully he'll adapt. You could also try hand feeding him. Or getting sinking pellets so he can rummage around for them on the floor at his own pace.

I personally could never do a wen trimming, I would be too scared of hurting the little guy. He may just need a little more time to adapt to the new surroundings.

I have one goldie that I often feel may be blind.....or at best has VERY limited vision (though not due to wen) but my point is he can find food VERY well! Your little guy will adapt! I think wen trimming really needs to be left to the pros!! But just my opinion! (I once snipped a small piece that had gotten torn almost off & I was very nervous about it!! My hubby held the fish & I snipped...while freaking out inside!!)

I do not have any fish with wen's currently,but the idea of having to have them trimmed is very scary :( my Tele's have a very hard time seeing the food even when it's right in front of their faces... but they sure do smell it ;) (LOL)

I'm often told that even if his eyes become completely covered the fish will still be able to "smell" to food. I'm not so sure, especially as you say he can't see the food right infront of him. However, wen trimming can be extremely dangerouse for the fish and can lead to death either through an infection, stress or something else entirly. Hopefully he'll adapt. You could also try hand feeding him. Or getting sinking pellets so he can rummage around for them on the floor at his own pace.

:exactly If he is new he needs to learn his way around his tank and also how to find his food. Try not to move the decorations too much so he can learn how to navigate, and do your best to always feed him in the same place (that is if you feed sinking food).

I personally could never do a wen trimming, I would be too scared of hurting the little guy. He may just need a little more time to adapt to the new surroundings.

I agree. Wen trimming is a serious surgery that requires anesthetic...not something you would want to try unless you were absolutely sure the fish was suffering.

Yep, I agree with everyone here.

But I just wanted to say: Too much wen on a small fish??? We usually see posts where people are asking when the wen will start growing already. Too much wen is a pretty cool problem to have! biggrin.gif

I agree with Ranchudressing at 2 and a half inches that's a lot of wen :o Do you think you could get a picture? I hope he's not stunted. I wouldn't do a wen trimming either unless it's by a vet.

I would say that should only Ever be done by a vet.... This is an old fish I had Mr.T he had a very big wen and found food just fine.... I never trimmed his wen :) Goldfish do just fine with big wens :)

092604.jpg

092604.jpg

"I pity tha fool who tries to trim my wen"

:lol Thats just to funny Martha :rofl

:rofl Martha!

:rofl I can HEAR Mr T's Voice Saying THAT!!! :rofl

Ha, nice Martha!

My guy Helo has had amazing wen growth since I got him. I'm starting to think at some point, he may even lose some sight because of it. But, I'm definitely not worried about his ability to find food. He's the fastest now. And I don't even see wen growth slowing him down.

So i just got a 2 1/2 inch ranchu and it has a LOT of wen growing around his face. There are only 2 little holes where his eyes are. He bumps into everything and cant see the food right in front of him... what should i do??? =/

Too much wen??Congrats.gif Lucky you, any ranchu keeper will tell you that's a dream to have a nicely developed head growth. When his eyes are not visible, don't panic, he will eventually learn how to get food.(they rely more on smell than sight). You may have to keep him separately though (some fish are not as smart as others ), away from other fast swimming tank mates, otherwise you'll end up overfeeding other fishes while trying to get food to him. Don't advise any fancy surgery work.nonono.gif

Cheers

I agree with everyone who said don't trim. They will do fine if they can find food - and it's a very rare goldfish that can't find food if they still have fins. :)

Is that a photo of the fish in question? If so - there is definitely no reason to consider a trim. Check this out...

20090208-114547.jpg

20081122-135210_800.jpg

It's my Charlie, and she always did fine with that big wen.

aww thats so cute. my son calls the wen bumpy hair. lol

aw Charlie :heart

and lol @ bumpy hair! kids are so cute!!! :D

WOW!! Charlie was SUPER DOOPER!!!! :exactly