I Need Some Advice

ashlee18

Well I feel awful about posting so many questions lol

Well no I don't. I need to be educated :)

Anyway. I have two goldies in qt before they do into my 55 with my first three. They are both perfectly healthy. One is a small pearlscale and the other a small ryukin. There is a little problem though, the "small" ryukin is twice as big as the pearlscale and bullying the poor guy endlessly. I don't have another tank to separate him to so I am considering bringing him back to the store. But I am super worried that they will simply flush him once I leave (It has been 10 days since purchase). They have been together for over a week and I don't see his behavior improving. The pearlscale just sits in the protection of the sponge filter and doesn't come out for food. What should I do? I am sure that this fish would pick on the other three as they are all smaller too. The qt is a bare bottom with two filters and no decorations.

He's a calico ryukin if anyone on here might want to rescue him :cry1

I think it depends on what you think would be best. Since you don't have another quarantine tank, it may be hard for them to stop messing around with eachother. The ryukin is generally healthy right? and are there any other fish stores you could take him to? I doubt if he's sick they would flush him. If you think he would be a problem fish, I think it would be ok to take him back, or try and give him away to someone who may wish to adopt him. It really depends on what you think would be in the best interest of all your fish.

It's possible that the ryukin won't be such a bully when he has 55 gallons to swim around in. I'm assuming your QT tank is smallish (most are), and sometimes that can make fish feel crowded -- and bullying can result.

I'd probably try him out in the 55 before making a decision to return him.

Agreed with RD...he could totally change by giving him some added space in the 55 gallon tank. Try it for a while and see how he does before returning him.

-Dennis

Well I guess I erased it, but the qt tank is 20 high. So that is why I don't know if he will work in the 55. Since there are 2 in the 20 and will be 5 in the 55. So basically same amount of fish per gallon. I just don't want to rush their qt and add them too early. I guess I'll just ponder it some more :)

^Yes but the overall area is larger, its not alway how much each fish gets but the tank as a whole. I know Hirohito used to be a bit of a bully till I brought roosevelt in, now he's the smalles one in the tank! I would wait and see how it goes with the others, theres a good chance he'll stop the behavior given more space.

Ryukins get fairly large and do need a lot of space. How much longer do you have left to QT? If your pearlie is being constantly stressed, I would be concerned for his health. Stress leads to many other problems. Can you buy a rubbermaid to use as a QT so that you could separate the two until you try them in the main tank?

• Supporter

my ryukin was very much the bully in the small tank before i upgraded. i was slightly overstocked from what i read here, but, the other two were sooooooo small, i think at that stage the ratio was okay.. but he was still the bully.. then, when the big tank came along, all that room, he settled and they all became the best of friends... then mrs porky came along and he was no longer the largest in the tank.. but with all that space, he settled really quickly..

another thing you want to consider is that they are a quick fish, they love to swim laps (as i demonstrated in my latest video) i do this more for him as he gets his kicks out of it and enjoys the excersise.

i say you give him a go, the ryukin are a beautiful fish, you will get lots of joy out of him.. i sure wish i was closer, i wouldn't be trying to convince you to keep him, i'd just grab him and run! :gcar:

Another thing to consider is that in a group of 5, the bully ryukin has more companions to distract him (as well as a larger volume to swim in). That might be sufficient to stop him from bullying the little one.

Thanks everyone :heart

He has a distraction right now. I have a one month old betta fry in a one gallon square rubbermaid jar pushed up against their tank. He and the pearlscale are currently trying to figure out how to eat it through the tank glass.

I also have a rescue fish that is floating in there and they are trying to get to him too.

They will be out of qt in 2 1/2 weeks. He seems to know that I was not happy with him so he was behaving like an angel yesterday.