On-Going Fight, Going Downhill! Help

So a couple of weeks ago, I posted a topic about my goldfish Cheddar. There was some blood on his sides and it was a small battle until I posted that. At that time the blood spots were not as small as they used to be. Anyway you guys told me to salt at 0.3. But that was two days before my family and I were going on vacation. So I salted at 0.1 and left him for the week.

When I came back, the blood was nearly gone, and he was swimming better. So I did W/C's and kept an eye on him. A couple of days ago the blood started coming back, and he barely moved. We are now again going on vacation tommorow, perfect timing huh? Well by now the salt is at 0.2, We will only be gone for 5 days and my grandparents are coming to feed my fish.

Anyway, now the salt is at 0.2 and sitting for today, tommorow before we leave I'll do a %50 W/C. See, I didn't have the time to bring it up to 0.3%. But now the blood is almost gone. But he is near death. I feel so bad that I can't help him. His gills barely ever move, and he just sits on the bottom of the tank. Sometimes I'll go intot he room and he'll swim for a couple seconds, then rest again at the bottom. I need help, until I get back is there anything else I can do? We can't run out for any meds, and I will be gone 5 days. I just hope that he can hold on until I'm home to really help!! :krazy::doh11:

Thanks, Lindsay

**EDIT: the salt is at 0.2% AND has been sitting for two days including today. Hope that makes sense?

Edited by Lindsay793

I am now considering euthanizing Cheddar with 3ml Clove Oil, 8ml Vodka, and 1 Gal water. I feel so bad, and am not looking forward to this. This has been going on for months, I've tried so hard, he has not been comfortable for a week or two and it's not fair to him.

To me right now it seems the better option, to let him go peacefully, than to drag him through some more healing and so on..

But I want to know what you guys think.

Hi there. I am sorry about your fish.however,what are your water params? Is there anything else, symptoms wise, going on? It seems strange to me that this would happen without a cause.... The red could really be water related. Please test the water.

I have tested the params and they are all fine. When I got Cheddar he had the blood spots, and the months I had him they disappeared and reappeared because it was an internal infection. I don't have any gravel and he has been in a cycled QT tank for three weeks.

Unfortunately I just got home and he did not make it. It has only been a few hours but he's gone. I feel terrible that I could not help him!

Oh I'm so sorry about poor little Cheddar. May he R.I.P :( He had a good fish mommy and you were a very good parent to him.

When was the last water test though?

I have tested the params and they are all fine.

Would you be able to give us specific numbers though?

I'm very sorry you lost him, I actually have a fish right now who is battling the exact same condition. I am able to control it with salt and meds, but the instant the water quality gets bad he gets very sick again. Nitrates in particular can cause the problem to flare up.

Thanks everyone. I'll tell you what, my family is scrambling around trying to get everything packed, so I will leave the water. Should I turn off the filter or keep it going?

Then because of a lack of some test kits, I will go to the pet store and get it checked out. Thanks again!

Thanks everyone. I'll tell you what, my family is scrambling around trying to get everything packed, so I will leave the water. Should I turn off the filter or keep it going?

Then because of a lack of some test kits, I will go to the pet store and get it checked out. Thanks again!

Are there fish left in there? If so definitely don't turn the filter off!

Either way if you get the water tested when you get back it won't tell you as much as things will change in that time.

usually blood spots on the side of the fish the first thing I check is the temperature because over heated goldfish will start showing up blood patches under the scales =( I am sorry he didnt pull thru