Convince Me To Go Bare Bottom...

So I just cleaned my tank out from a snail family taking residence in a anubias plant with driftwood...

And I'm afraid to put the pebbles back in incase they have eggs. Do you think that if i leave the buckets of substrate out for a week or so, that anything in them would die?

I also figure that if there is still eggs in the tank, having a barebottom will make it easy to kill the snails...

Any opinions welcome :D

thanks for your time guys!

Barebottom makes life SOOOOOO much easier! I currently have a few rocks in my tank but that's it. You should try it for a week or two and see how much easier things are.

As for the eggs, I don't think having them out for a week would guarantee they'd die. I would rinse the substrate with a diluted bleach solution, then rinse very well with clean water.

Thanks :) I will give it a try, I'm cycling the tank at the moment so plenty of time to chop and change.

Funny how beneficial bacteria can be so precious but a stupid snail egg can withstand almost anything...

• Supporter

LOL.. "stupid snail".. barebottom is healthier.. i have about 3 cups of gravel just to keep my fish busy.. you can still see almost all the glass at the bottom.. one day, i may remove that too.. but for now, we're all doing fine.. :)

I love, love, looooove my bare bottom tank!

It's a dream to clean! It's more healthy for the fish, and safer!

There is nothing to choke on and no where for icky gasses and bacteria and parasite eggs to hide. Bwhahahaha!

I have a couple stones scattered across the bottom, and a few decorative glass marbles to keep things zesty though. The decorative marbles may go back on the bookshelf when my box from pet mountain comes. I'm redecorating!

The decorative marbles may go back on the bookshelf when my box from pet mountain comes. I'm redecorating!

:lol pet mountain rocks.. just sayin.

and I LOVE barebottom. Its cleaner, easier to clean, my gravel came out when bacteria attacked and killed one of my goldies. The other two are nice and healthy and happy now, I have glass stones in it for decor.

Love it, Love it, Love it!!! I do keep a few flat marbles scattered on the bottom for the fish to play with though ;) But truly bare bottom is the only way to go for goldfish in my opinion :) it's so much easier to keep clean,I also like the look, but if your doing live plants it can become a challenge (LOL)

• Supporter

since you're already bare bottom, why not try it.. you could always throw a small portion of gravel in later if you thought it necessary.. i don't think you will, but the option is always there..

I'll add tiny bit of gravel for hoover to scrounge through. Luckily I have a spare bag still sealed, because I don't feel like boiling the 20kg of gravel :blink: that was attacked by snails...just yet.

Thanks guys :D