What Should I Get?

Well, I'm looking into breeding Apple snails and wondering how to go about it.

I was thinking maybe this tank http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/aquarium-supplies/aquariums/glass-aquariums/tetra-aqua-art-aquarium-kit-30l.html

But, Have some Q's for you all:

{1} How much space do they need each?

(2) Do they need any thing like airpump/filter?

(3) How often they need cleaning?

(4) How many could I put in that tank I posted?

Thanks

Paul.

They need about 2-3 gallons per snail, that's 8-12 litres each, I wouldn't keep more than 3 in a 30 litre tank. Do not underestimate how messy these guys are. No airpump needed but a filter will help keep most of the poop out of sight. Clean them out once a week, they'll need it. When you say breeding snails...are you intending to keep all the babies in that tank too? Because they lay lots of eggs at a time and they'll sharp out-grow it between them.

They need about 2-3 gallons per snail, that's 8-12 litres each, I wouldn't keep more than 3 in a 30 litre tank. Do not underestimate how messy these guys are. No airpump needed but a filter will help keep most of the poop out of sight. Clean them out once a week, they'll need it. When you say breeding snails...are you intending to keep all the babies in that tank too? Because they lay lots of eggs at a time and they'll sharp out-grow it between them.

Thanks, naa I'll be breeding then selling some of them and keeping some.

What size tank would I need to start with?

Thanks

Paul

That depends entirely on how many snails you want to start with and how many you're intending to keep... I would start with at least 3 as these snails are not hermaphroditic and you might end up with two males or two females if you get a pair, with three there's less chance of that happening. I would go for something in the region of 15-20 gallons (60-80 litres). I'm not sure how the 2 gallons per snail rule applies if you're not keeping fish with them, it might be they're not really bothered by their own muck, I would imagine they need a cycled tank as they are completely aquatic but it might be you can go with 1 snail per gallon, particularly while they're babies, if you're not keeping anything with them. I'm really not sure. Have a read around www.applesnail.net and see what they say.

That depends entirely on how many snails you want to start with and how many you're intending to keep... I would start with at least 3 as these snails are not hermaphroditic and you might end up with two males or two females if you get a pair, with three there's less chance of that happening. I would go for something in the region of 15-20 gallons (60-80 litres). I'm not sure how the 2 gallons per snail rule applies if you're not keeping fish with them, it might be they're not really bothered by their own muck, I would imagine they need a cycled tank as they are completely aquatic but it might be you can go with 1 snail per gallon, particularly while they're babies, if you're not keeping anything with them. I'm really not sure. Have a read around www.applesnail.net and see what they say.

As a general rule of thumb one should provide at least 10-liters/2.5 gallon for each mid-sized snail (?5cm/2inch. diameter)

I am thinking of maybe

http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/aquarium-supplies/aquariums/glass-aquariums/tetra-aqua-art-aquarium-kit-60l.html

Or

http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/aquarium-supplies/aquariums/biorb/biorb-aquariums-60/biorb-aquarium-60-with-halogen-light-silver.html

Both are 60L witch should let me have 6 snails if my maths are right?

Paul

6 snails total, but if you're planning on breeding them I would start with less that that, don't just go out and buy 6.

Okey cool.

Well, I'll be ordering them of e-bay, so will start with 3 to give me more of a chance of getting a boy & girl.

Thank you for all your help.

I'll be buying computer desk in next week, so will then buy fishtank and get started and post pics up here.

What tank out of the 2 I posted would be best?

Paul

• Supporter

personally, i would get the rectangular one.. it can later be used for fish or a qt tank should the need arise.. bowls are terrible for fish.. and if you stopped breeding snails for whatever reason, at least you would have a useable tank.. :bingo:

personally, i would get the rectangular one.. it can later be used for fish or a qt tank should the need arise.. bowls are terrible for fish.. and if you stopped breeding snails for whatever reason, at least you would have a useable tank.. :bingo:

Good idea.

Thanks.

I'll buy that one then.

I may go for 100L if I can find one and have the money for 100L but will see.

Paul