Doing Laps.. Lol

Helen

• Supporter

thanks for your compliments guys.. i am truley blessed.. i have fish that are just loving my attention and me who just loves their attention.. makes for a great relationship... and the clarity, thanks to the newly installed uv sterilizer.. i have to admit, i am quite impressed. installed 2 days ago and i can see such a difference already..

Helen your fish crack me up. :rofl The look on Pork Chop's face, it's like he's saying ' Me do laps, what for? Mom will feed me right here!' :D

• Supporter

Helen your fish crack me up. :rofl The look on Pork Chop's face, it's like he's saying ' Me do laps, what for? Mom will feed me right here!' :D

:tomuch: i know.. she's never one for excersize.. everytime we do laps (twice a day) she's like... yeah right!! feed me :feedme and i'll get out of your way or swim around me!... so we swim around her!! :rolleyes:

Oh My Gosh they are all so cute :) I just love your two Moors and of coarse Pork Chop is my Fav Tele of all :) And I do so love your Tank as well :) It is very pretty and relaxing looking :) do you ever open the blinds to let them have some sun??Is that why there coloring looks so intense??

That was too cool! I love how the black teles hang at the back of the bunch like a couple of sharks....funny little guys. Way to go Helen!

-Dennis :tomato:

• Supporter

Oh My Gosh they are all so cute :) do you ever open the blinds to let them have some sun??

thanks shell, yes, the blinds are open during the day and they get natural light, but not direct sunlight.. the colours, i have read that light enhances their colours and i would have to agree as every pond pic i see that show gold fish, they always have the most vibrant of colours.

Helen,I always LOVE to see your tank-it is SOOOOO beautiful,so fresh and clean :wub:I want to jump in :saywhat:teehee That is soooooo funny that you exercise them-I LOVE IT :flex:

thanks kukana, i spend so much time trying to keep the water clean.. but come veggie feeding, OMG it can dirty it up so quickly, so i only feed fresh veggies once a week and a day before wc to make sure it's mostly outta their systems ;) . laps? i realized that some would follow and others didn't.. those that didn't (pork chop) became lazy :ignore:o .. so she and i have different excersizes LOL.. she follows food :rolleyes: so come feeding time, she works for her feed before she receives it :bingo: ... and she works real hard, for approx 10 mins. there is so much tank and they only hang around where they can see us most of the time, so i excersize them in order for them to be healthy, but also for them to remember how much room they have :rofl

That was too cool! I love how the black teles hang at the back of the bunch like a couple of sharks....funny little guys. Way to go Helen!

-Dennis :tomato:

my little stealth poopers!! :exactly if they wiggled any more, they'd fall apart.. but they do try really hard to keep up.. i think david (the smaller one) gets half way accross by the time we get to going back the other way.. but they are so cute how they join in.. :rofl

ohh i love porkchop. your tank looks soo clean and good. i have a snail so i use him as an excuse for why i have algae in the corners still LOL. it is bad for the silicone i know .. i scrap and scrape and once im done i find i always miss a spot!

• Supporter

ohh i love porkchop. your tank looks soo clean and good. i have a snail so i use him as an excuse for why i have algae in the corners still LOL. it is bad for the silicone i know .. i scrap and scrape and once im done i find i always miss a spot!

LOL.. it's not always nice and clean.. you should see it before WC's.. sometimes i just look at it and :yikes all the way to the scrubber!!

i have just recently installed a uv sterilizer.. it seems to be working a treat.. for the first time in my life, i saw "green water" and paniced!! wanted it gone immediately.. so with little convincing of our koko buddies, i was down to the LFS for the purchase..

really does work a treat.. i've had it in there for approx 5 days now and the water is crystal clear again!! yaaaay.. the only thing i have in my water now is prime..

i used to have fertilizer for the plants.. but that grew algae really quick, so to combat that, i used algaefix.. then i was told that i needed aquarium salt in there all the time.. but i wasn't told that the prime was a conditioner so i was double conditioning.. it's amazing what one learns.. thanks to koko's..

sarah (devilduck) helped me to understand that i needed nothing but prime.. and trinket helped me by giving me info on the uv sterilizers.. and between the two of them, i have crystal clear water again!!

since stopping the algae fix and the fertilizer, i have noticed very small algae growing back, but nowhere near the rate as before.. i also think that the sterilzer is helping reduce or is keeping it to a minimum.. but it is a huge sense of relief to know that we're all happy happy joy joy yet again!!..

green water is good but not so pretty. my first tank was by the window. i begged and begged for this oranda i called baby only he was huge.. so she got me a 20 gal tank and baby and a black moore. luckily the lfs was very knowledgeable about gf. he told my mom the 10 gal per fish rule.. he told her about cycling.. w/c the whole 9 yards. i was 10 and kinda mad that i had to stare at an empty tank so long .. any way it was by the window and it was pure green . baby grew so much!. my mom went to see that guy when ever we had a prob and he told her it was the light. we/ she never could get rid of the green water. he also made sure she bought books when she got the tank. so im grateful for that good start.

• Supporter

green water is good but not so pretty. my first tank was by the window. i begged and begged for this oranda i called baby only he was huge.. so she got me a 20 gal tank and baby and a black moore. luckily the lfs was very knowledgeable about gf. he told my mom the 10 gal per fish rule.. he told her about cycling.. w/c the whole 9 yards. i was 10 and kinda mad that i had to stare at an empty tank so long .. any way it was by the window and it was pure green . baby grew so much!. my mom went to see that guy when ever we had a prob and he told her it was the light. we/ she never could get rid of the green water. he also made sure she bought books when she got the tank. so im grateful for that good start.

that's the most fantastic LFS story i've ever heard.. good on mum for scoring such a knowledgable LFS attendant nearly 20 years ago!! i didn't even know they existed then.. he must have been one of those that ran away from the laboratories!! LOL.. honestly, really, really good story..

Helen I loved the video, so cute! I first discovered that my goldies would follow me from one side of the tank to the other about five months ago, and I was kept entertained for a long while! :teehee The fish I have now don't follow me as much because the ryukins are a little skittish still and the butterflies can't see! haha

The thing about fertilizer is that it is only one variable in plant growth. There are three limiting factors on photosynthesis, and the variable that is in least supply will be the limiting factor on photosynthesis. The variables are temperature, CO2, and light. So if you increase CO2 by using a fertilizer, but do not increase the amount of light, then the plant growth will not be able to increase. Algae growth will increase though, because they are suddenly given more nutrients, and they do not need as much light as plants do to grow. So... if you ever want to try ferts again you may just have to tweak things with the tank for a while to find the right balance that will allow plant growth but not algae growth. :)

• Supporter

Helen I loved the video, so cute! I first discovered that my goldies would follow me from one side of the tank to the other about five months ago, and I was kept entertained for a long while! :teehee The fish I have now don't follow me as much because the ryukins are a little skittish still and the butterflies can't see! haha

The thing about fertilizer is that it is only one variable in plant growth. There are three limiting factors on photosynthesis, and the variable that is in least supply will be the limiting factor on photosynthesis. The variables are temperature, CO2, and light. So if you increase CO2 by using a fertilizer, but do not increase the amount of light, then the plant growth will not be able to increase. Algae growth will increase though, because they are suddenly given more nutrients, and they do not need as much light as plants do to grow. So... if you ever want to try ferts again you may just have to tweak things with the tank for a while to find the right balance that will allow plant growth but not algae growth. :)

:hmm seeing as i have so much of it now.. and don't use it.. i will see how i can work it into the tank.. so i will be intouch with you sometime next week regarding it if you're up to giving me a hand.. many thanks.. :heart

Sure thing Helen, I'd be willing to help! Another person who would be good to talk to about plants is Hidr. She has tons of experience with planted tanks, so I'm sure she'd be able to help you out a lot. :)

that's the most fantastic LFS story i've ever heard.. good on mum for scoring such a knowledgable LFS attendant nearly 20 years ago!! i didn't even know they existed then.. he must have been one of those that ran away from the laboratories!! LOL.. honestly, really, really good story..

:blink: They grow LFS attendants in labs?!? :yikes SCARY!